E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Another garage door remote intall:)

01-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
WWJDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Another garage door remote intall:)

I know there is other write-ups on this but I though I would share my experience...

you will need two buttons, a soldering iron, wire, a drill and twisty ties

this is the clicker I have

and these are the buttons i bought from radio shack

First take apart the clicker...these are the pegs you will need to solder to(highlighted in red)...I only used two of the three buttons but if you use the third then you would solder to the pegs highlighted in yellow.

once you solder your wires to the circuit board and solder the buttons secure the battery back in the clicker. I broke the clips on myne so I used zip ties to secure the remote to a piece of wood

mark and drill two holes for the buttons to go through-i took the button tops off to make for a sleeker look...also easier to get through the holes

next drill through the ash tray where you want the buttons to pertrude(i got impatient here and as you can see chipped the ashtray a little, slow it down and be careful

find a good place for the clicker to sit, i found some free space between the idrive nob and my center armrest

glue or tape the buttons securly to the backside of the ash tray or if you bought buttons that have nuts on them to tighten do that.

put everything back together and enjoy you new opener...

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

not a bad idea ...

so do u have to take ur whole center console apart when ur batts die in the remote?
      01-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

whoa, those wires are a little overkill! some 24/22awg wire would have been fine. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
WWJDrive
Private
United_States
Rep

when the battery dies i do have to pull it out, when I did this though i went and bought a new battery so it should last a while...

it was the only guage wire I had layin around, i could have made a seperate trip but i was eager to get it in---does the job tho
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had a similar setup on mine but took it out. The only thing different was my remote control was under the passenger's glove compartment. I think if you tuck it under there then you'll have an easier time to replace batteries instead of removing the entire center console.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
WWJDrive
Private
United_States
Rep

you are definitly right, i may try that next time i need to replace the battery.... i didnt find taking the center console out difficult at all so really its no big deal but i do agree.
Appreciate 0