E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wavetrac Differentials vs. Quaife ATB Differential for RWD 335i

View Poll Results: Wavetrac Differential or Quaife ATB Differential
Wavetrac LSD Differential 75 46.88%
Quaife ATB LSD Differential 77 48.13%
Other... 8 5.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

03-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred18t View Post
I think my reservations about wavetrac are that it is such a new company, so if you have problems, whose to say they will be around in 5 years? Quaife on the otherhand has been around for a while, so they are more likely to be here.
Good point... certainly will need to part of the decision ... save $100-$200 right now, but take a risk that you might be out of $1100+ later on.... The reason I would luv to hear from OPs that might of had failure problems or dissatisfaction with WaveTrac, if it was repetitive issue...did it get resolved... what if anything they've learned from their experience...

Thanks everyone for their input ... keep them coming...

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
www.shonutperformance.com/Wavetrac.htm

"Autotech is very excited with the positive feedback they have already received from Wavetracs already out in the field for other applications, including a 740+ WHP drag car. Our testing has shown that the Wavetrac works as well as (or better than) a Quaife, and feels slightly more aggressive. The Wave Design Center Pack really does work, and provides traction to the wheel with grip, even if the other wheel is in the air. The Wavetrac is much quieter than a Quaife in situations where the Quaife is noisy, such as hard turns from a stop under power, and we expect the same results with winter driving. .....

In fact, we are so excited and confident about the new features that we are replacing the Quaifes in all of our cars with the Wavetrac units, since they should perform better in winter driving when one-wheel-on-ice is very common, and it's a (noisy) nuisance when the Quaife goes 'open' in that situation. "

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #25
Grouch604
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 135i / '11 e93 m3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
just wondering, who installed the unit for you?
Pgperformance in surrey. They were good although I think mine is the only one they did. Apparently they've done a lotta quaife in vw though. I just found them to be an authorized dealer for it so went with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #26
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Many good points in this thread about both units. The thing is that it is hard to argue against the reputation of Quaife. They have been building bullet proof setups for a long, long time. One other thing to consider is that BMW uses an inner scrolled output shaft bore on the standard final drive to protect against seizure. Obviously BMW felt this was necessary to protect against seizure. The Quaife does indeed reproduce the scrolled output shaft bore on all their units, but the Wavetrac unit has a plain output shaft.

Many of us are obviously thinking of which LSD to use. Recently, I had to decide myself which LSD I wanted on my car and have been doing the same research. My LSD is on the way and I will be doing the upgrade when I do my clutch shortly. I will have my thoughts in a review and DIY shortly after the installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

i'm going with the wavetrac unit
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #28
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Many good points in this thread about both units. The thing is that it is hard to argue against the reputation of Quaife. They have been building bullet proof setups for a long, long time. One other thing to consider is that BMW uses an inner scrolled output shaft bore on the standard final drive to protect against seizure. Obviously BMW felt this was necessary to protect against seizure. The Quaife does indeed reproduce the scrolled output shaft bore on all their units, but the Wavetrac unit has a plain output shaft.

Many of us are obviously thinking of which LSD to use. Recently, I had to decide myself which LSD I wanted on my car and have been doing the same research. My LSD is on the way and I will be doing the upgrade when I do my clutch shortly. I will have my thoughts in a review and DIY shortly after the installation.
Grrrr.... hate this ..... LOL. That's my problem deciding 100% towards Wavetrac to which I'm inclining. I like what I'm reading about Wavetrac's LSD, but Quaife's history and reputation is certainly unmatched.

So on which one did you decide...?

I think I'll add Poll button to this thread if I still can...

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #29
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
Not sure if you're reading the same thread. I certainly didn't read any one proclaiming to be an expert, OR making claims Quaife sucks in icy conditions, on tracks... etc. So instead of your useless 5 cents why don't you contribute something of value. If you have Quaife LSD do PLEASE provide your input on your experience PROS/CONS and etc.... Instead of shitting all over and pointing fingers...
Well, I have had a Quaife for almost 2 years and have never had it go open on me in either snow or on the track.

But unfortunately that issue seems to be the biggest one around the Qauife vs. Wavetrac discussion and it seems to me to be completely out of proportion in reality to the typical 335 driver.

Both diffs act a like an open diff during regular driving, which makes them better then locker style diffs for average driver. Both act the same in the turn, progressively biasing power out to the wheel with the most traction. Anyone driving both of them on a 335 on the same track would doubtfully be able to tell you which is which. It’s only in the extreme element that a wheel has zero traction (as in completely in the air) that they differ.

The “wave” in Wavetrac describes the wave profile of the side gears. When there is any difference in the rotation of the gears relative to each other the profile causes the gears to move apart from each other and one side moves up against a set of high friction plates causing a “pre-load”.

The Quaife does not have this ability to pre-load. The question is, how often will you be in this situation? This is a far bigger issue with the front-wheel drive crowd which can and often do get a front wheel up in the air (I’ve done it in my car also). But getting the rear wheel completely off the ground on a 3500lbs car is a whole ‘nother thing. If you are concerned about traction and acceleration during that scenario then you probably should be running a locker diff (+ roll cage, track insurance, etc.).

Also, even in the most extreme situation where you have a wheel off the ground or super ice with a quaife, a simple light press of the brakes will create pre-load.

These are probable more important issues to concern yourself with:

Price: I think the wavetrac is cheaper

Warranty: Quaife offers a lifetime warranty, even if the car is used to race. Wavetrac offers a limited Lifetime warranty.

Service: Quaife uses floating helical gears which some say makes it more “bullet” proof and requires no servicing. Wavetrac: The thing is, in turns the wheels are turning at different speeds so the diff will engage the high friction pads often. I would imaging this means the Wavetrac diff will need to be serviced more frequently the Quaife.

Reputation: Quaife has been around for along time, with an excellent reputation. Wavetrac is fairly new.

Other: Quaife is made in Europe so parts, service may be impacted. Wavetrac is made in the USA

Also, it appears you can tune the Wavetrac by adjusting the friction pads.

So there
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Been running the WaveT unit since Aug.
Works flawless - don't even know its back there until you look in the mirror and see two real good lines

Its probably gonna be kind of difficult for someone to speak first hand about BOTH units.
g/l

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #31
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Well, I have had a Quaife for almost 2 years and have never had it go open on me in either snow or on the track.

But unfortunately that issue seems to be the biggest one around the Qauife vs. Wavetrac discussion and it seems to me to be completely out of proportion in reality to the typical 335 driver.

Both diffs act a like an open diff during regular driving, which makes them better then locker style diffs for average driver. Both act the same in the turn, progressively biasing power out to the wheel with the most traction. Anyone driving both of them on a 335 on the same track would doubtfully be able to tell you which is which. It’s only in the extreme element that a wheel has zero traction (as in completely in the air) that they differ.

The “wave” in Wavetrac describes the wave profile of the side gears. When there is any difference in the rotation of the gears relative to each other the profile causes the gears to move apart from each other and one side moves up against a set of high friction plates causing a “pre-load”.

The Quaife does not have this ability to pre-load. The question is, how often will you be in this situation? This is a far bigger issue with the front-wheel drive crowd which can and often do get a front wheel up in the air (I’ve done it in my car also). But getting the rear wheel completely off the ground on a 3500lbs car is a whole ‘nother thing. If you are concerned about traction and acceleration during that scenario then you probably should be running a locker diff (+ roll cage, track insurance, etc.).

Also, even in the most extreme situation where you have a wheel off the ground or super ice with a quaife, a simple light press of the brakes will create pre-load.

These are probable more important issues to concern yourself with:

Price: I think the wavetrac is cheaper

Warranty: Quaife offers a lifetime warranty, even if the car is used to race. Wavetrac offers a limited Lifetime warranty.

Service: Quaife uses floating helical gears which some say makes it more “bullet” proof and requires no servicing. Wavetrac: The thing is, in turns the wheels are turning at different speeds so the diff will engage the high friction pads often. I would imaging this means the Wavetrac diff will need to be serviced more frequently the Quaife.

Reputation: Quaife has been around for along time, with an excellent reputation. Wavetrac is fairly new.

Other: Quaife is made in Europe so parts, service may be impacted. Wavetrac is made in the USA

Also, it appears you can tune the Wavetrac by adjusting the friction pads.

So there
Thank you ! This post from you was greatly appreciated by me

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
..... don't even know its back there until you look in the mirror and see two real good lines

...g/l
LOL.... LUV to read funny posts.... good one

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #33
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Grrrr.... hate this ..... LOL. That's my problem deciding 100% towards Wavetrac to which I'm inclining. I like what I'm reading about Wavetrac's LSD, but Quaife's history and reputation is certainly unmatched.

So on which one did you decide...?

I think I'll add Poll button to this thread if I still can...
I hate teasers, so I will post all the info in the DIY/Review hopefully next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #34
Grouch604
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 135i / '11 e93 m3 DCT

There's a guy at the n54 site that owns a high HP vw jetta who said his wavetrac siezed once. I think they resolved it for him and told him that it was the only time it ever happened though. I think he has like 600+whp.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #35
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

i'm waiting on the wavetrac..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #36
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hate teasers, so I will post all the info in the DIY/Review hopefully next week.
That will be great . I've certainly read few of yours previous reviews on other areas of upgrades you've done and they've been very educational.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #37
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
i'm waiting on the wavetrac..
But some how it doesn't surprise me since you're now a re-seller of it ...

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #38
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
after reading this im thinking about getting the wavetrac once im already

I have a question tho how do you know if you have a welded diff??
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #39
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Quote:
But some how it doesn't surprise me since you're now a re-seller of it ...
.... i set myself up for that but I can get the quaife as well but upon the suggestion of my personal mechanic i'm going wavetrac!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #40
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamia2super View Post
after reading this im thinking about getting the wavetrac once im already

I have a question tho how do you know if you have a welded diff??
Based on Wavetrac posted information:
"Since March, 2007 production, BMW has fitted rear axles where the ring gear is welded to the differential carrier" http://wavetrac.net/application_bmw335.htm

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #41
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Based on Wavetrac posted information:
"Since March, 2007 production, BMW has fitted rear axles where the ring gear is welded to the differential carrier" http://wavetrac.net/application_bmw335.htm
yeah!! my car was produced in March, 2007 so no welded diff........right?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #42
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamia2super View Post
yeah!! my car was produced in March, 2007 so no welded diff........right?
... Your mechanic or any reputable shop specializing in transmissions, drive trains, differentials should be able to tell you...

Send PM to Craig@SupremePower, as a Wavetrac re-seller he should be able to tell you if you provide him with the production date and transmission type.

Last edited by Belarus; 03-09-2010 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #43
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Question

What type of maintenance is required with Quaife and Wavetrac differentials ?

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #44
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That will be great . I've certainly read few of yours previous reviews on other areas of upgrades you've done and they've been very educational.
Thanks Belarus. It arrived yesterday, so I am now just waiting on my clutch/flywheel. I am really hopeful I can get everything installed this weekend.
Appreciate 0