E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > .

01-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #45
Svothe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335D

Move over to the right hand edge of the lane so you are clearly in their mirror, applying indicator and then if they are one of these clueless fucks who never checks their mirrors flash flash. If no response in a minute or so just drop down a gear and pop round underneath after having a look for coppers. If people don't want to play by the book I won't treat them with the same courtesy I give to other road users simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #46
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
because if i get in it and i am driving faster then chap on outside. isnt it still classed as undertaking? once chap in outside moves in...i will move in to the middle infront of him
but if you are already in the middle lane, and are travelling at the speed limit, its not undertaking, its just the flow of traffic.

it becomes undertaking when you fly up behind someone in the outside lane, switch to the middle and go past them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #47
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I always sit behind them for a while. Not right up their ass, but close enough that implies I'd like to get past please.

I don't flash for a while, and never flash unless there is somewhere for them to pull over. If there's no signs of movement or even checking of mirror's I'll flash once - not like some madman with a strobe light. Wait a bit if there's no response and then try again.

If that fails, then yes I will move over and pass them, if (as mentioned) there is a contingency option incase they finally decide to move!
      01-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #48
Boz335i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I flashed the police to move out of my way at 120 mph. And to my amazement they did!!

This was in Germany. I thought 'shall I, why not, you only live once'.

My german colleague said it was illegal but they probably let it go once he saw my GB badge.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:31 AM   #49
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz335i View Post
I flashed the police to move out of my way at 120 mph. And to my amazement they did!!

This was in Germany. I thought 'shall I, why not, you only live once'.

My german colleague said it was illegal but they probably let it go once he saw my GB badge.

01-22-2015, 03:45 AM   #50
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

In the X5 (silver) people pull over as the lights are right in their eye line. And maybe they think i'm police. Not sure but i guess you can't really miss it in the rear view mirror.

I will flash rather than undertake.

In the Fat Datsun if it's during the day people pull over but at night (when i mostly drive it fast) it can be bit of pain, but again i'll flash rather than undertake.

And like above i'll give them time (both cars are torquey enough to get back up to 'making progress' speed quickly).

In the 306....it's a different story but i'm still sorting her out so i've not got much experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #51
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

According to the highway code you can undertake as long as you are going with the flow of the traffic. But you can't if it's just you and another guy in lane 3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #52
sufchenko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

I'm assuming that people are flashing ONLY if they feel that there is space for the car to move inside. You don't want to scare the driver prompting them to just move abruptly.
      01-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #53
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

....and I sometimes wonder why BMW drivers have a reputation for been C***S
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #54
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svothe View Post
Move over to the right hand edge of the lane so you are clearly in their mirror, applying indicator and then if they are one of these clueless fucks who never checks their mirrors flash flash. If no response in a minute or so just drop down a gear and pop round underneath after having a look for coppers. If people don't want to play by the book I won't treat them with the same courtesy I give to other road users simple as that.
Be very careful. You know the fuzz like to sit in the slow lane at 60 and watch what's happening. If they see you go by quickly they'll slowly track you from 100 metres+ collecting evidence. These are the obvious clearly marked cars. There's so many unmarked cars as well. I know a few in my area and I have a very good trick for identifying them. You could very easily be done when undertaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #55
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
....and I sometimes wonder why BMW drivers have a reputation for been C***S
We are trying to catch up with you out in front!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #56
Ajerthan
Bimmaaaa
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svothe View Post
This indicate right to overtake trick works all around Europe but UK. In the UK people are plain stupid or morons, maybe both. People like intentionally hog up the overtaking lanes.

I normally give a flash, wait, if no response flash again. By this point I'll realise if moron knows the motorway rules or not. Frustrating indeed, like their dad owns the road.

*during non peak hours where there's minimum traffic flow obviously.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:12 AM   #57
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufchenko View Post
I'm assuming that people are flashing ONLY if they feel that there is space for the car to move inside. You don't want to scare the driver prompting them to just move abruptly.
Oh yeh - agreed. I will follow for a while and i'll only flash if i see a queue forming behind me and there is space to move into.

But I'm 40 now. So that is the reason why. I hate to say. I'm getting old!

In my younger days i would have been a lot more aggressive. I would probably have flashed straight away. I remember doing Glasgow to London in just under 4.5 hours once in the old E30 325i. It's a miracle i make that journey in once piece. And the reason for the speed? None. It was 1 am when i left Glasgow, so i arrived at my aunts at 5.30am and nobody was up anyway! Very stupid.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:25 AM   #58
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Why would anyone feel the need to flash someone who can't move over?! If they can't move over, then that surely means they themselves are over taking someone.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #59
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
even worse. i just come off the M6 now. its totally dead. i am doing around 85 on the inside as nobody else is on the m way. someone is sitting in the middle lane. when nobody is on inside. middle lane drivers are just as bad. they need lessons how to drive on the motorway
If you want to name and shame try this:
https://twitter.com/middlelanecunt

There are some absolute morons on there!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:51 AM   #60
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Other than mid lane hoggers, I hate follwings;
1) Fog lights on even though there is no fog at all. Mostly they are honda / toyota owners. Trying to make their car look 'kool'. Hate it with passion when its bmw driver!
2) When headlight allignment is poor and they are blinding you when they are behind you. Not sure what to do with such twats.
3) When they throw cigarette out of their windows. You morons!!!! You are already polluting the environment with your fooking smoking and then you throw the cigarette on the road. why dont you keep it in the car and clear them later!
4) Women drivers smoking in the car and think they look 'stylish'. Excuse me, you look like a ....!!!! And some of them have their young kids on the back seats!!!