E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > How many track days do you have..and where?

10-16-2009, 06:02 AM   #67
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoshan View Post
Considering that I am a track n00b, and I'll be doing everything I can next year to set up the car for neutral handling at medium speed for auto-x, a little understeer is probably a good thing. If I went with a square setup, I would have a lot more high speed oversteer and probably eat some tires from the tire walls. I was planning on staying with the 245/265 staggered R1 setup until I get good enough to move to a 255 squared setup.
You'll want to go to a square setup right away for track. The car still understeers, so there's still plenty of safety built in. But if thats your direction ... Good luck with that setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Did you go with the same tires? I am thinking of getting the Hankooks RS-3s for next year!
I got the same Direzza's. They are pretty decent. Still have some learning to do yet. I'll move to R888 in May. Last mod will be camber/caster kit for a little better turn in.

Any recommendations on reliable camber kit?
      10-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #68
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

First time I use this... and on buddies of mine too

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #69
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
First time I use this... and on buddies of mine too

You are so RIGHT! Sorry Trackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
You'll want to go to a square setup right away for track. The car still understeers, so there's still plenty of safety built in. But if thats your direction ... Good luck with that setup.

I got the same Direzza's. They are pretty decent. Still have some learning to do yet. I'll move to R888 in May. Last mod will be camber/caster kit for a little better turn in.

Any recommendations on reliable camber kit?
I have the Vorslag (not yet installed) from Harold at HPAmotorwerks. Great price! I will be getting the M3 sways from him, so I can install all at once...

OK Joel, no more thread jacking, back to MTL Thread.
      10-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #70
j28s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i - 6mt - Sedan

Granted, I'm an Eastcoast guy, so most are in the Southeastern states.
These are either racing or with track day clubs - SCCA, NASA, BMW, Porsche, Mustang, Ferrari, Audi, Mazda, Cobra, Corvette, ViperDays, TrackDaze, TurnOne etc. There are some other tracks (hillclimbs, small tracks, etc). The last couple years have been low (enough to keep my competition licenses), but should pick up next year.

CMP – 80 Days
Roebling Road – 21 Days
Road Atlanta – 16 Days
VIR – 112 Days
LMS – Lowes Motor Speedway – 11 Days
Mid-Ohio – 3 Days
Watkins Glenn – 6 Days
Summit Point – 5 Days
Atlanta Motor Speedway – 5 Days
Road America – 5 Days
Sebring – 4 Days
Nelson Ledges Road Course – 3 Days
BeaveRun Motorsports Complex – 3 Days
Barber Motorsports Park – 3 Days
Gingerman Raceway – 2 Days
Talladega Super Speedway – 2 Days

Now for a tough question. If you had to guess, how many tires (not sets, just the raw number of tires) have you bought for either racing and/or track days. That's a number I don't keep track of...and probably don't want to know.

Now what about the worst day at the track? Mine, Roebling Road (Savanah, Georgia) either late July or early August. Ambient temp was 102. The humidity average was somewhere around 91%. Couple laps to go in a race when a car went off track and into the trees (lost brakes) and we got the red flag (note: for those of you that don't know, you come to a controlled stop on the edge of race track in view of a worker station, you are in full race gear, you keep your belts fastened, helmets on, basically you stay like you were when racing). For some reason they kept us on the track for about 15 minutes before they brought us in. I remember the asphalt was somewhere close to 160 degrees. I had to keep my feet off the floorboard because they were cooking. Think the inside of my car was around 120+ degrees. Needless to say I never raced there again in June, July or August.

Racing is an addiction that can only be cured by poverty.
Background: SCCA and NASA PRO Racing

Last edited by j28s; 10-19-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #71
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j28s View Post
Granted, I'm an Eastcoast guy, so most are in the Southeastern states.
These are either racing or with track day clubs - SCCA, NASA, BMW, Porsche, Mustang, Ferrari, Audi, Mazda, Cobra, Corvette, ViperDays, TrackDaze, TurnOne etc. There are some other tracks (hillclimbs, small tracks, etc). The last couple years have been low (enough to keep my competition licenses), but should pick up next year.

CMP – 80 Days
Roebling Road – 21 Days
Road Atlanta – 16 Days
VIR – 112 Days
LMS – Lowes Motor Speedway – 11 Days
Mid-Ohio – 3 Days
Watkins Glenn – 6 Days
Summit Point – 5 Days
Atlanta Motor Speedway – 5 Days
Road America – 5 Days
Sebring – 4 Days
Nelson Ledges Road Course – 3 Days
BeaveRun Motorsports Complex – 3 Days
Barber Motorsports Park – 3 Days
Gingerman Raceway – 2 Days
Talladega Super Speedway – 2 Days

Now for a tough question. If you had to guess, how many tires (not sets, just the raw number of tires) have you bought for either racing and/or track days. That's a number I don't keep track of...and probably don't want to know.

Now what about the worst day at the track? Mine, Roebling Road (Savanah, Georgia) either late July or early August. Ambient temp was 102. The humidity average was somewhere around 91%. Couple laps to go in a race when a car went off track and into the trees (lost brakes) and we got the red flag (note: for those of you that don't know, you come to a controlled stop on the edge of race track in view of a worker station, you are in full race gear, you keep your belts fastened, helmets on, basically you stay like you were when racing). For some reason they kept us on the track for about 15 minutes before they brought us in. I remember the asphalt was somewhere close to 160 degrees. I had to keep my feet off the floorboard because they were cooking. Think the inside of my car was around 120+ degrees. Needless to say I never raced there again in June, July or August.
Well, you definitely win with almost just the VIR days....as for tires...I dunno..hard to guess, but I know I have had the following tires on my cars when on track:

Continental OEM Audi tires (4)
Pirelli P7000SS (4)
Dunlop SP9000 (4)
Kumho Victoracers (12)
Hoosier R3S03 (6)
Bridgestone RE050A (4)
Toyo RA1 (24)
Toyo T1S (8)
Toyo T1R (8)
Toyo R888 (8)
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (8)
Goodyear F1D3 (4)

I am sure there are way more than this...I lost count a long time ago.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #72
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Now what about the worst day at the track?
This was couple years ago at Streets of Willow. Ambient temp was 112 degrees. I was instructing. A student was assigned to me. When we got into his car, he informed me that his car was overheating slightly, so he had to run with the heater on full blast. WTF??? After about 6-7 minutes on track, I told him to get back into the pit because my legs were burning!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #73
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Nice hotter than hell stories. I'm doing Calabogie this weekend. Starting temp should be right around freezing. Windows down driving unless it snows or rains. Hahahahaha.
      10-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #74
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

S4to335 - Nice assortment. I would have to say I have the greatest number in Hoosier R# tires (through the years they have changed and now on R6), but Toyo RA1 and a couple sets of R888 which I still don't like, ran a lot on BFG's until made the switch to Hoosier around 1998 or 1999, and Goodyear which is still a good race slick.

vwong - nice one. having to turn on the heat to keep the car from over heating in the summer when it's that hot. geez!

jgalaxy - yeah, rub it in. Good thing is you can turn on the heat and turn the butt heat on high and it will always stay nice and warm.

I had a student one summer down at CMP in the summer. Hot as hell. He had a tweaked Toyota Supra Turbo and was a good driver in the advanced group. I got in the car, and he said "you mind if I turn the A/C on high, it's hot as hell". Told him that would be great. He kept it on through every session and it put out some cold air. That was a good hot summer day at the track.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #75
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
S4to335 - Nice assortment. I would have to say I have the greatest number in Hoosier R# tires (through the years they have changed and now on R6), but Toyo RA1 and a couple sets of R888 which I still don't like, ran a lot on BFG's until made the switch to Hoosier around 1998 or 1999, and Goodyear which is still a good race slick.

vwong - nice one. having to turn on the heat to keep the car from over heating in the summer when it's that hot. geez!

jgalaxy - yeah, rub it in. Good thing is you can turn on the heat and turn the butt heat on high and it will always stay nice and warm.

I had a student one summer down at CMP in the summer. Hot as hell. He had a tweaked Toyota Supra Turbo and was a good driver in the advanced group. I got in the car, and he said "you mind if I turn the A/C on high, it's hot as hell". Told him that would be great. He kept it on through every session and it put out some cold air. That was a good hot summer day at the track.

I use to have BFG Gforce R1s too..I forgot about those.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #76
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I use to have BFG Gforce R1s too..I forgot about those.
Guess we're starting to show our age now.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #77
dieguito37
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Audi S4, 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Well, you definitely win with almost just the VIR days....as for tires...I dunno..hard to guess, but I know I have had the following tires on my cars when on track:

Continental OEM Audi tires (4)
Pirelli P7000SS (4)
Dunlop SP9000 (4)
Kumho Victoracers (12)
Hoosier R3S03 (6)
Bridgestone RE050A (4)
Toyo RA1 (24)
Toyo T1S (8)
Toyo T1R (8)
Toyo R888 (8)
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (8)
Goodyear F1D3 (4)

I am sure there are way more than this...I lost count a long time ago.
Here's what I've run:

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (4)
[some winter tire that sucked, maybe Dunlops]
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R (4 fronts, 2 rear)
Dunlop Direzza (8)

I also put Dunlop Direzza's on the Honda when I got it, on TR Motorsport 15 inchers. They are the best tire I've ever used. I've had instructors tell me that a modern 180 treadwear summer tire is better than the race tires of 15 years ago. The RE-01R was a good dry tire but miserable on a wet track. I may get to test the Direzza in the wet if we get a rainy day at Infineon next weekend.

j28s - you must be 100.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #78
j28s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieguito37 View Post
Here's what I've run:

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (4)
[some winter tire that sucked, maybe Dunlops]
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R (4 fronts, 2 rear)
Dunlop Direzza (8)

I also put Dunlop Direzza's on the Honda when I got it, on TR Motorsport 15 inchers. They are the best tire I've ever used. I've had instructors tell me that a modern 180 treadwear summer tire is better than the race tires of 15 years ago. The RE-01R was a good dry tire but miserable on a wet track. I may get to test the Direzza in the wet if we get a rainy day at Infineon next weekend.

j28s - you must be 100.
Glad to hear about the Direzza. I was looking at trying those out for my next set of tires. Good info.
I'm not quite a 100 yet...but with the number of spinal compressions I've had, my back feels like it. Actually, still got a ways to get to 40...if I make it.

Appreciate 0