E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DIY ski port hole

12-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
hogbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 328i

DIY ski port hole

So I set out yesterday with an adventure in mind, to cut a hole in between the trunk and the cabin to get more bass through. I have 2 12" Memphis subs in a ported box that sounded pretty good as is, but a bit muffled. So I measured out. The layer behind the rear armrest is plastic that is very easy to play with. I did some of the cutting with a manual little hole saw to give you an idea of how easy it is. So anyway, on with the project:

Materials:
I went through home depot looking for a mesh grill i could use to cover the opening and some sort of plastic seal to make it look good. I came out with some stick on rubber stripping and a gutter guard that I spray painted black.

Tools I used was a drill with a bit to get the hole started, and a Ryobi Jigsaw that was way more than I needed. I used a manual hole saw to trim it up and a file to make a smoother edge. A Razorblade helped cut the carpet edges hanging loose.

1. I measured out a hole size and marked the plastic with a sharpy. The mesh is 6" wide so I cut the hole 5" to leave a little overhang. The only thing you need intact is the top two holes on the plastic as those hold the seatrest in. After doing cutting I decided to go down about another inch below the bottom two holes as shown.

2. I drilled a starter hole with a 3/8" drill bit I believe. It just needs to be big enough to fit jigsaw. then cut out lines.

3. As you can see it is kinda rough, and I didn't cut perfectly straight. Used the manual saw to trim it straight and filed edges down. Then I used the razor to cut off hanging pieces of carpet.

4. For the finishing I used the weather stripping to wrap it around and applied it smoothly and firmly. Press hard into corners. Then I cut the mesh to fit a little over each side and screwed it on back behind the carpet. It looks pretty clean in person and it can be covered by the plastic armrest backing without much of a difference in sound.