E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Fram Filter Failure...... 328i

03-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Fram Filter Failure...... 328i

Quote:
There are several "universal truth's" in life, and one of them is Fram oil filters suck . Ask any real mechanic ( including me) if they would ever use a Fram filter, and they will laugh in your face. Well, last time I serviced my daughters BMW, the auto parts store was out on my usual go to brand for German cars.... MANN. The parts guy says...."I have a Fram in stock" I tell him no way. He says "No, the XG line is made in USA, not China, and its a quality filter, I've never had a customer come back with issues". So, in a moment of weakness, I buy the Fram. It looks good, and says MADE IN USA right on the end cap. Well, today, I serviced Berlin's rollerskate after running the Fram for 8k miles, and f#$% me, the filter disintegrated like it was assembled with oil soluble glue. The base endcap fell off, and is stuck in the housing, and if it breaks apart all the debris is going straight to the bearings. Running the car like this surely compromised the filters ability to function. I take my time, and 30 minutes later I fish it out, and pop in the MANN filter. To everyone at Fram, and the parent company Allied Signal, I'm posting this not only to affirm you suck , but if anytime in the next 30k miles the BMW engine craps the bed, its going to be on your dime for a new engine. The failed Fram filter is all bagged up, as Exhibit A....... NEVER USE FRAM FILTERS!!!
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The Fram XG is a good filter, but I only have experience with the canister filter.

One thing I've noticed is that it is critical to go with an OEM filter for cartridge filter applications such as BMWs. Aftermarket companies have to change the filters a tiny bit from the OEM so they don't copy patented products. In many cases, the height of the recommended aftermarket filter is slightly different than the OEM, which in the case of cartridge filters can be catastrophic.

My friend had the same issue with a Purolator filter on his PowerStroke 6.0 diesel Ford truck. The Purolator filter was slightly taller than the OEM Motorcraft filter, and when he tightened it down the filter crushed. He almost melted down the engine because of a $10 filter.

I only buy the MANN filters for the BMWs and haven't had any issues with them so far.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17316.50
feuer4275.50
      03-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I discovered FAILED Fram Ultra last night. 3k covered. This filter cost more than OEM Mann. Take look:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

I've used Fram cannister filters on many cars for many years and miles without an issue. Even notice when there a pics of Ferrari engines often there are 2 orange Frams. A

Have only used Mann for the BMW and certainly won't consider Fram after seeing this thread. That is terrible and I agree with OP on keeping a good record and evidence.
      03-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I discovered FAILED Fram Ultra last night. 3k covered.
Did you inspect it, as a result of this thread?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Did you inspect it, as a result of this thread?
No, completely coincidental. I was doing to create a new thread but saw this one is pretty recent so just decided to add my finding.
Appreciate 0