E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 335I V brace question / Exhaust Install (Pics and Video of Quad Exhaust)

08-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
Considering you're going to be using a mallet, a mallet and a torch at best, to do your "fix", you will not be reshaping as much as crushing and reducing interior dimensions. As for changing shape...you are talking about increasing the dimensions width wise and shrinking them in height, and then re-tightening the width and increasing the height to get back to round. What you suggested and I just outlined will create a low pressure and high pressure zone on either end of the shape change. So, I reiterate my original point. Why would you damage an otherwise fine product?

The solution is to modify the brace, add bushings for clearance, or design a new brace to accommodate the exhaust.
I never said I would attack it with a hammer, dude. Use a press and plate so it just flattens the tube. I'd be much more concerned about issues from altering the brace than about "restrictions" in the exhaust. Replacing the stock exhaust gets what- 5-10 hp? Maybe? Flattening a section of the tube will not make any measurable difference.
      08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

For the record... most exhausts will fit with a few washers on the bolts to act as spacers. This is the route I plan to go, I've just been busy lately. Perhaps I'll make a trip to the hardware store today...
      08-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I never said I would attack it with a hammer, dude. Use a press and plate so it just flattens the tube. I'd be much more concerned about issues from altering the brace than about "restrictions" in the exhaust. Replacing the stock exhaust gets what- 5-10 hp? Maybe? Flattening a section of the tube will not make any measurable difference.
No measurable difference? That must be why it doesn't make a difference between crush bent exhausts and mandrel bent ones. Regardless of how you reform the pipe, it will change the flow characteristics of the exhaust. Redesigning a brace that would meet the same requirements as the stock brace would not be difficult, and it would have no ill effects like crushing your exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I think it's much easier to get a company to fab up a new brace then start crushing/flattening exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I was able to use .75" spacers/washers on our shop car when fitting the stock brace back on. Generally I start the install by making sure the first mid-pipe is as high up as possible, about a fingers distance from the chassis. With that pipe as high as possible, it's allows the second pipe to sit between the control arm and the differential.

Personally I driven our car extensively with and without the brace and couldn't determine a difference in handling with a set of V1's and non-RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Out of curiosity... do the sedans not have the same V brace as the coupes? I mean, I guess it makes sense seeing as how the sedans have difference structural characteristics, but still... I figured they'd be the same. I just have the plate (Part #17), no actual beams that form the 'V'. My plate also doesn't look like the one their either. Mine has no place for the beams to attach to it.

08-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I was able to use .75" spacers/washers on our shop car when fitting the stock brace back on. Generally I start the install by making sure the first mid-pipe is as high up as possible, about a fingers distance from the chassis. With that pipe as high as possible, it's allows the second pipe to sit between the control arm and the differential.

Personally I driven our car extensively with and without the brace and couldn't determine a difference in handling with a set of V1's and non-RFT's.
Hmm .75 in spacers I will take pics on how close the 1st pipe is to the chassis, I can barely fit my finger + this will show the exhaust install, will post later tonight.

As for "Hotckis Brace" I would love to find one and see if it fits. If you know where to get it let me know.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
ejlovo09
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive sedan

Looks cool i want one now! but how do you like the vrsf exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #31
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlovo09 View Post
Looks cool i want one now! but how do you like the vrsf exhaust?
VRSF Exhaust = BIMMER FROM HELL when you floor it! It just screams, and if you go in a tunnel, all i can say OMG!

And if you drive normally it's a little louder then stock but not too loud with deep sound, I love it. That's why I don't want to take it off and quality is very good, I say better then BMW stock exhaust IMO.

The only part that's driving me nuts is this brace and I see that it is very important part of the car now after doing my research, and driving for a while i can feel the chassis is bending at the limit of driving which is not good.

HP Autowerks used to sell Hotchkis Brace but I don't even know if that will clear the exhaust. the Pipe is massive.... stay tuned for pics.... later today.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #32
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK FINALLY GOT SOME WASHERS LIKE 250 of them and longer screws. Installed the stock V brace. I don't like it but it will do temporarily until I figure out how to custom fabricate one. Pictures below. The pipe sits like 1/4 in from top of heat shield and 1/4 inch from V brace. Total cost $20.

[/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When aligned properly, that rear pipe should sit between the control arm and the rear differential, looks like you can bring it up close to another 1".
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Single-T

Dude that looks.... eeerrrrrrrr not so good. If you run over anything you might bend/snap the bolts/threads on car...
I would try and see if you could MAYBE re-weld the hangers in an other position to where it would make the pipe a little closer. I know this would throw off the Placement of the tips, you would prob have to fix those as well.
I had a HKS Legamax Exhaust with the stock brace and the Hotchkis X Brace and it didn't rub on either.
Good Luck Bro! Keep us posted on your progress

Last edited by JMARS; 08-20-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

That is absolutely hilarious. lol

Current: 2015 Cayman S on HRE P101
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #36
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, Gated R8, DatsunZ, mk

Quote:
Originally Posted by labedra View Post
OK FINALLY GOT SOME WASHERS LIKE 250 of them and longer screws. Installed the stock V brace. I don't like it but it will do temporarily until I figure out how to custom fabricate one. Pictures below. The pipe sits like 1/4 in from top of heat shield and 1/4 inch from V brace. Total cost $20.

[/IMG]
Thats about how mine sits too. There is so much unoccupied space above that flex pipe section. I wonder if the hanger can be modified to allow the pipe to sit up closer to the car. how much clearance do yuo have under the brace now?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #37
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can not get this any higher. Exhaust 1st pipe is about 1/8th of an inch from the body/ heat shield.

The hanger rubber is compressed and thats with the moded vrsf hanger which is already 1 in shorter. Besides this don't matter much as v brace don't sit below 2nd pipe. Any how this is temporary solution.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS
Dude that looks.... eeerrrrrrrr not so good. If you run over anything you might bend/snap the bolts/threads on car...
I would try and see if you could MAYBE re-weld the hangers in an other position to where it would make the pipe a little closer. I know this would throw off the Placement of the tips, you would prob have to fix those as well.
I had a HKS Legamax Exhaust with the stock brace and the Hotchkis X Brace and it didn't rub on either.
Good Luck Bro! Keep us posted on your progress
I was thinking same thing
to myself but down pipe Y pipe sits lower than the V brace and that can't be adjusted. OH YA BTW THE CAR IS MUCH STIFFER WITH V BRACe do feel the difference now when i put it mack in.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I guess it's because I don't have the V brace that I don't really feel a difference. Hmm
      08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
RyanF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 AW/SO 6MT

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #41
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS13 View Post
Well ya... you have a better temporary solution? no one looks under the car and they cant see it so don't make any differece as long as it's functional and it it is.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_House View Post
Thats about how mine sits too. There is so much unoccupied space above that flex pipe section. I wonder if the hanger can be modified to allow the pipe to sit up closer to the car. how much clearance do yuo have under the brace now?
+1, nope the hanger is very close. TRUST ME I spent 3 days FKING around with adjusting this. This is as close to the chassis as it will get, or you'll be hitting the chassis. For 2nd pipe ya it can be adjusted... maybe.... but that's not my concern.

All i can see is to either;
1. Crush the exhaust where the V brace bolts so it fits (BTW BMW did that with their stock exhaust). Don't like crushing

2. Get a custom brace welded by a muffler shop.

3. Use 2 separate braces per each side but don't know how effective that be.

4. Take out the wallet and spend double on a different exhaust that will fit and might not have as much weight savings.

5. Put stock exhaust off and cut the mufflers and pay ~1400 for them.

I think I'll try #2 next.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #43
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wish you were local, we've fixed the low hanging issue a couple times free of charge for customers, took less than 15 minutes when you know what to adjust.

The first pipe mid pipe should be able to rotate a bit farther up as well. Shoot me a PM with your location and I'll be happy to schedule a time if you're anywhere near the MA area.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
RyanF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 AW/SO 6MT

Quote:
Well ya... you have a better temporary solution? no one looks under the car and they cant see it so don't make any differece as long as it's functional and it it is.
Is your car lowered? My car is, but it's not like it's super low or anything, and there's NO WAY I could drive it around like that. It would rip itself off after the first driveway I pulled out of. That brace scrapes on my car now over speed bumps, and I only added like 3-4 washers at each of the 4 corners of the brace when I installed my exhaust.

It seems like it'd be much better to leave it off until you figure something else out, rather than damage all of those holes if the bolts break when the brace gets caught on something while you're driving.
Appreciate 0