E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Had enough of slow 320d - remap or new car?

04-25-2017, 03:11 AM   #23
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Don't look at 0-60 unless all you do is traffic light GP. 60-100mph is the sort of range you'll see slow cars separate from the quick.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 04:05 AM   #24
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

Thanks for all the replies. So is the only benefit of a tuning box over a remap that you can quickly disconnect the tuning box when needed (e.g. when getting a service)? If you wanted to temporarily remove a remap for this purpose would you need to go back to whoever did the remap?

Also does the fact that my car is an automatic have any impact on which option to go for?

Sorry for all the rudimentary questions!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #25
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Tuning boxes alter what the ECU sees to fool it in to delivering more fuel/air/boost outside of its parameters to create more power. It sits between certain sensors and the ECU, so can be easily unplugged.

A remap alters the data that the ECU uses to control the car, changing the parameters to whatever the tuner has decided, to create more power, better drivability etc.

Some remaps can be flashed and removed by an owner using a tool if that brand supports it but not all.

With a 320D I doubt you'll be getting near the limits of the gearbox so it shouldn't limit your power gains. Some places can flash a different gearbox map too to make it quicker and hold revs/change gear differently.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #26
McPikie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Msport

Plus with a tuning box, you can play with the differing maps on their as to which suits your style better
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 03:26 AM   #27
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPikie View Post
Plus with a tuning box, you can play with the differing maps on their as to which suits your style better
What he said.

I can alter the maps or responsiveness of the box when needed.

I have auto box and its not different to manual.
      04-26-2017, 04:13 AM   #28
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Very interesting. Can I ask a silly question then - why does anyone ever get a remap rather than a tuning box? Are there any downsides to a tuning box?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #29
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
Very interesting. Can I ask a silly question then - why does anyone ever get a remap rather than a tuning box? Are there any downsides to a tuning box?
Tuning boxes aren't as good as a remap, they're much better than the used to be, but still not as safe or able to get the performance a true remap can.

Plus a remap can be altered and tweaked to suit your preference if you have it fitted at their workshop, plus before/after dynos, health checks and the like.

I'd personally never fit a tuning box, I really dislike how they work to create power, it's a bodge method.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:18 AM   #30
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i, Estoril Blue

Yup, what Digitalize said. I'm looking to remap my 330D soon so been busy reading up on them. In most threads the general consensus is that a remap is the much better option
      04-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #31
davealfa11
Private
Rep
Drives: 318 saloon

depending on whose tuning box you use it can just overfuel engine some high end boxes increase boost because of the agricultural way they do it you can end up with dpf problems limp mode and ecu error codes ...now some say that taking it off for servicing to keep warranty, bmw will notice in the software that overfueling spikes and boost spikes are registered in ecu ,,(ecus have memory files)these a flagged by bmw ,and if you have an issue that can be caused by a tuning box bmw can reject warranted part ...same as a remap ,they don't like it unless its their performance software update package ..
a remap is a better quality product as theres many files that are modified not a couple of parameters so if you go that route do your homework as theirs plenty of "mappers" out there who say they can but cant ...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #32
Sarlech
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M Sport 320d

Garage List
I have a 2013 E92 320d and felt the same about the performance - felt de-tuned to me, so decided to get this remapped - you will not be disappointed buddy; completely transforms the car.

I have "compared" it next to an Audi A5 2012 2.0 TDi and pulled about 5/6 car lengths on it (he started 2 car lengths ahead) starting at approx 40mph
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #33
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

This may have been asked but are you tired of the performance or is there more than that?

If the car is no longer engaging you emotionally; move on.

If it's just the turn of speed; a remap will see 220-235bhp which is a healthy gain.

Don't touch the DPF as the car has very low miles and if the car is maintained; the DPF should last for years to come. The cost of butchering the car to remove it, the subsequent smoke and potential devaluing is not worth the minimal extra gains.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 01:56 AM   #34
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlech View Post
I have a 2013 E92 320d and felt the same about the performance - felt de-tuned to me, so decided to get this remapped - you will not be disappointed buddy; completely transforms the car.

I have "compared" it next to an Audi A5 2012 2.0 TDi and pulled about 5/6 car lengths on it (he started 2 car lengths ahead) starting at approx 40mph
Sounds promising! I'm in Ireland so probably not much point asking for recommendations for where to get this done, but there is a superchips vendor close enough to me in Dublin that I might pop in to.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #35
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
This may have been asked but are you tired of the performance or is there more than that?

If the car is no longer engaging you emotionally; move on.

If it's just the turn of speed; a remap will see 220-235bhp which is a healthy gain.

Don't touch the DPF as the car has very low miles and if the car is maintained; the DPF should last for years to come. The cost of butchering the car to remove it, the subsequent smoke and potential devaluing is not worth the minimal extra gains.
That's a good question. But no, it's purely about the performance. I love everything else about the car and still get excited every time I get into it even after a year. It's also still one of the best looking cars on the road IMO and I far prefer how it looks to the new generation. The fact that the car is so perfect in every other way makes the lack of power that much more frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #36
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

I think even with a remap you'll still be left wanting more. I had an E92 320d and it was quick enough but always fancied trying a 330/335.
I now have a 520d for family and M140i for fun, its my first 6 cylinder BMW and will find it hard to go back now, it has power, silky smooth and returns decent mpg.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #37
wolly440
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320d msport

I've got the same motor as you, an E92 320d LCI 184 bhp. I've been running a racechip CR02 tuning box for the last 2 1/2 year with no problems at all. Racechip claim 230 bhp on full performance setting, as they are TUV approved, they cant make over optimistic performance claims, they have to be able to prove such gains. I can't prove what they claim, but the increase is definatley noticable. 2nd and 3rd gear just dissppear, 4th and 5th keep pulling hard. Most I've hade out of it ( on an air field ) was 120 mph and was still accelerating strong. Tunig boxes have come a long way in the last few year, agree custom remaps can give better gains, but tuning boxes give great value for money

Last edited by wolly440; 04-30-2017 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #38
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 Convertible

As others have said i also suggest a tuning box, i have an e93 320d and it felt very slow. As a covertible i wasnt expecting a super car but something was missing. Purchased a DTUK CRD from a member here and its perfect. The car now feel very good to drive, that extra kick you expect comes in and stays, before the car would just stop when you rev over 4000rpm now it keeps going. Again it hasnt turned it into a super car but it does feel like it would beat most normal cars of the line now as opposed to before when i got out run by a yaris (Seriously!). I would get it re mapped if i didnt have warranty, but i feel a Good tuning box is the next best thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #39
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

DTUK CRD + Sprint Booster enough said
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:21 AM   #40
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
depending on whose tuning box you use it can just overfuel engine some high end boxes increase boost because of the agricultural way they do it you can end up with dpf problems limp mode and ecu error codes ...now some say that taking it off for servicing to keep warranty, bmw will notice in the software that overfueling spikes and boost spikes are registered in ecu ,,(ecus have memory files)these a flagged by bmw ,and if you have an issue that can be caused by a tuning box bmw can reject warranted part ...same as a remap ,they don't like it unless its their performance software update package ..
a remap is a better quality product as theres many files that are modified not a couple of parameters so if you go that route do your homework as theirs plenty of "mappers" out there who say they can but cant ...
While I agree with you that remap can be better for your car especially if you are after a custom remap however I disagree with your speculation that a decent tunning box will leave an error code.

I have personally done some extensive work on DTUK and TDI tunning box. I have used the TDI tunning box for nearly one year and my car has gone to bmw without any issues. Plus the fact that I have all the bmw diagnostic stuff. It never left any code on the ecu re: over fuelling or under fuelling.

It does leave a code that your boost sensor is open / short circuit ONLY when you plug the loop to take out the box. Its the only time when ECU register an error.
The by pass is that you either use bmw diagnostics and clear the codes or put / take out the loop after removing the battery terminal so car does not register any code related to that.

Also, all those who say that boxes are not safe, perhaps you guys to need into the way things work now. There are triple channel boxes which come with engine warranty. Key thing is to buy a decent tuning box.

Same goes with remap as I have seen many crap maps which are leaving multiple codes behind the scene which alert bmw that DME is manipulated. Either way, decent remap or tunning box is that one should look for which does not leave any traces of manipulation.

PS: I have had remapped my car in the past and used tunning box on multiple cars recently.
      05-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #41
davealfa11
Private
Rep
Drives: 318 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
While I agree with you that remap can be better for your car especially if you are after a custom remap however I disagree with your speculation that a decent tunning box will leave an error code.

I have personally done some extensive work on DTUK and TDI tunning box. I have used the TDI tunning box for nearly one year and my car has gone to bmw without any issues. Plus the fact that I have all the bmw diagnostic stuff. It never left any code on the ecu re: over fuelling or under fuelling.

It does leave a code that your boost sensor is open / short circuit ONLY when you plug the loop to take out the box. Its the only time when ECU register an error.
The by pass is that you either use bmw diagnostics and clear the codes or put / take out the loop after removing the battery terminal so car does not register any code related to that.

Also, all those who say that boxes are not safe, perhaps you guys to need into the way things work now. There are triple channel boxes which come with engine warranty. Key thing is to buy a decent tuning box.

Same goes with remap as I have seen many crap maps which are leaving multiple codes behind the scene which alert bmw that DME is manipulated. Either way, decent remap or tunning box is that one should look for which does not leave any traces of manipulation.

PS: I have had remapped my car in the past and used tunning box on multiple cars recently.
I don't think you understand what I was stating about it being flagged up at bmw and its not ecu error codes that you see in diagnostic equipment that's the issue..its inconsistent values that are logged that bmw Germany see when ecu is uploaded

Last edited by davealfa11; 05-01-2017 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: when ecu is uploaded
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #42
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
I don't think you understand what I was stating about it being flagged up at bmw and its not ecu error codes that you see in diagnostic equipment that's the issue..its inconsistent values that are logged that bmw Germany see when ecu is uploaded
That does not happen... done detailed comprehensive evaluation and spoken to multiple people who work for bmw and very senior techs.

BMW has a method where they scan for error codes stored on ECU and that is how they assess the issues / chipped status of a car. They are not bothered to examine our DME unless we have new M3/4 or M5 and that has been remapped and engine is blown or has serious issues. That is the only time they will go out of their way, pull out DME and test it on the bench to see if files have been manipulated. And in that case, perhaps you are correct ONLY if you have remapped the car but not if you have used the box. Very rare and not applicable to us driving old E9x series. For these cars and bog standard Fx series they use the method which I have explained above which is detecting ECU codes. BMW does not expect to be intelligent enough to disconnect the battery when installing / un-installing the tunning box.

Also, worth of mentioning that if BMW takes the DME out and bench test it then they will find it easily whether that is mapped or not. However if you have used tunning box, there is no way that DME will show them manipulated figures and it will show them standard DME figures.

Hope that it will explain you to understand things better and if it does not make sense then have a play with bmw diagnostics to understand the structure of their diagnostics etc.
      05-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #43
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Maybe your mate is just a better driver and gets more out of his car than you do/can?

Also the VW is also going to be lighter than your BM and although your car stock will have 14bhp (VW 170 vs BM 184) the VW might have a difference in torque which if more would be a game changer.

God help you if your mate ever gets a good custom stage 2 map, a non res milltek,clutch and some decent cai involved. Been there and done that on my previous golfs both TSi and TDi and my pissrat before my BM a 320 against a golf like that unless seriously modded will have issues. But a BM especially a diesel one isn't about all that in my eyes.
      10-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #44
Jfdy10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

What's your opinions on remapping a 320d M sport 56 plate with 145k miles on the clock? Am I asking for trouble there? The cars always been very well looked after with frequent services etc. But I'm just a bit wary of the age of the engine and don't want to cause myself any hassle for an extra 40-60bhp
Appreciate 0