E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E90 Coding Successful - Thank you E90Post

12-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
plarkin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [9.50]
Thumbs up E90 Coding Successful - Thank you E90Post

I've been a lurker here in these forums for quite a while now. I never registered an account and joined in until now because I didn't have a whole lot to say.

Using all the great info in these forums, I successfully made my first coding changes to my 2008 E90. Rolling up my windows and closing the sunroof from my KF as well as removing the automatic-AC when pushing the Auto button.

I'm going to explore some more this weekend and make a couple other changes that I've been wanting, so hopefully it will all go as well as it did last night.

In an effort not just to leech info out of these forums and actually contribute something; I figured I would post some things I learned throughout the process.
  • I wasn't overly keen on ordering the INPA/Ediabas - K+DCAN cable through eBay, so I ordered the cable from Soliport through Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055BD4SO). The cable worked great with no modifications needed. The included driver DVD had everything needed to get the cable and USB serial port operational.

• INPA ran fine on my laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) but that was the ONLY thing that ran properly. When it came time to fire up NCS Expert it gave me numerous complaints about not being compatible on my system. Rather than slicking the entire laptop and installing Windows XP, I downloaded XP Mode and Virtual PC from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx) free of charge and 15 minutes later had a fully operational Windows XP VM running on my laptop. This worked perfectly for NCS Expert.

Thank you to everyone here that makes this such a great community and FANTASTIC resource for BMW owners. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
KimIsAGuy
Rep
Drives: E90 Jet Black

Hey I am also having the same problem, but I ended up using Virtual XP. I was wondering if you can walk me through it. On the program INPA and it won't read my K+D-can wire at all, the 2 black dots won't go solid. The thing is that it worked fine for me on Windows 7, but not XP Mode. Also, I went ahead and ran NCS Expert and when I go to "Chassis" I couldn't find my car's chassis, E90, it stops at E89. If you can help me it'd be awesome, THANKS!!! =)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

E89 is what you use. It's all grouped together for e90, 92, 93
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
markusvt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW/M3  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
In VM you did select the USB from the top pull-down menu and verify the drivers and COM1? Also help to make sure desktop shortcuts on VM desktop point to unzipped folders on the VM C: drive. Think of VM as a whole new XP computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momowho View Post
Hey I am also having the same problem, but I ended up using Virtual XP. I was wondering if you can walk me through it. On the program INPA and it won't read my K+D-can wire at all, the 2 black dots won't go solid. The thing is that it worked fine for me on Windows 7, but not XP Mode. Also, I went ahead and ran NCS Expert and when I go to "Chassis" I couldn't find my car's chassis, E90, it stops at E89. If you can help me it'd be awesome, THANKS!!! =)
Appreciate 0