E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > High Performance Oil?

04-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

High Performance Oil?

Alright well it's about time for an oil change and I wanna switch it up and potentially ditch the ole Castrol from auto zone and get something nice. I talked to the mechanic who installed my RB's and saves my ass when things start blowing up, and he recommended Royal Purple, Motul, or Liqui-Moly. Looked a little into both, plus searched on here some, and I didn't find a lot of results. Really interested in some of the Motul 300V, some claimed it was more or less oil from the baby Jesus but didn't say much else. Anyways, who has experience with these brands? What benefits did you see? Any drawbacks, such as shorter life? Using the stock 5W-30 or something else?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

whats wrong with castrol? I use 0w-30 castrol euro formula, it works fine for me. since you have upgrade turbos i suggest using higher weight 0w-40

Last edited by SoIntoYou; 04-04-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIntoYou
whats wrong with castrol? I used 0w-30 castrol euro formula, it works fine for me. since you have upgrade turbos i suggest using higher weight 0w-40
Nothing! Just looking to switch it up if there's something out there that will give me an edge. Thanks for the weight info!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you want an edge, buy Redline oil (5W30 or 10W40, NOT 5W40)

I am using a 50/50 mix of Castrol 0W03 and Redline 5W30, works good.
I ran LubroMoly 0W40 and 5W40 back in the day on a diff car, used oil analysis suggests the Castrol 0W30 has much better wear characteristics than either.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
Nothing! Just looking to switch it up if there's something out there that will give me an edge. Thanks for the weight info!
Give you an edge on what exactly? I've used BMW's oil for 210,000 miles at 17,500 OCIs. Use BMW's oil. It's priced decently and is recommended by the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

To OP,

I have used royal purple on my other vehicles because one of my car enthusiast friend raves about it. I have used both the regular ones and the new hps formula in my JDM vehicles. Both very disappointing and couldn't tell the difference at all. In fact, the oil sheared super fast and didn't seem to lubricate well after the first couple hundred miles. Initially, it did quiet down the engine, but then it became even worse than before, lifters have ticked so loud that i had the change it out. Also, it didn't seem to rev any more smooth or better. Lastly, I love the color purple, but dark purple motor oil is stupid. When you drain it you can't even tell if it is still clean or not. Overall my experience with RP is "meh". Won't recommend. But if it makes you happy, go for it!

I have been running Motul 300V 5w-40 in my DD e90 335i for a while and it is awesome! Lower engine temps, revs are smooth and very noticable when compared to OEM. Very stable temps during track days and UOA looks splendid. VERY LITTLE oil consumption vs OEM or other oils that i have tried in the n54!! HOWEVER, it is not meant for extended drain intervals. In fact, I drain and change my oil every 5k miles or so. Remember, it is still intended as a "race oil" to begin with, even with all the detergent and additives package i am not risking having it in the engine for too long. Again, is it overkill at especially when it's $17/quart? Ya, i think so. But I love the thing, smells SOOO good too (not that it matters)

In my parents E-Class Merc they have been using liqui moly and it seems to be fine. Less oil consumption, revs silky smooth but not as noticable as the Motul in the 335i. Maybe because of blowers? Can't comment much except it is a quality product that does a fine job.

If you want ultimate VI, then look no further than ENEOS, in particular the ENEOS Sustina. If you have not heard about them that's because they are not popular in EURO cars. But they do work great. Many good reviews on JDM forums and I have tried it on my other vehicle as well. Great stuff. Does it make more power and protect better? Power - i don't care, protect and clean - i'd say yes. I have ran it in my Honda S2000 and every drain (besides the first two) comes out clean. Clean as in it still looks orangy yellowish golden colored like when i first poured it in!!!

Redline, they are ester based like the Motul, but i have never used it sadly. But i believe that for sure it is an incredible product. I have read many threads and reviews and Redline always seems to have excellent feedback.

Lastly, this is not about oil, but rather an oil additive. (This is when i put my flame suit on...) OIL ADDITIVE, you've read about it, and you've heard about it, and to most people's consensus it is a big NO NO. That is before I stumble across an engine oil optimizer by the company RS-R from Japan. The product itself is called RS-R Ran-Up. Do yourself a favor and google it. Read some forums regarding this product. But from my experience this product is AWESOME. It is a synthetic powder-based lubricant that serves as microscopic ball bearings on your engine parts to reduce friction. I was very very VERY skeptical before but I now use it in all my E90 335i, E39 M5, and my NSX. Revs are noticably smoother, Revs build a slightly little bit faster, engine noise decreased due to reduction in friction, even shifting smoothness is better. Placebo? No... I tested this out on my parent's Van and my girlfriend's car without telling them. They felt the difference and asked what I did =D RS-R claim that it also makes more power, but i don't care again.

For anyone who is interested and is in the SOCAL area, give them a call because they had been giving curious customer a FREE sample and 2 FREE dynos at their facility to let you see the difference and to try out this awesome product. Don't know if they are still doing that though. But once you do try this thing, you'll be hooked, for sure. And this addiction is crazy... the RS-R Ran-Up retails $50 a pop. In a larger engine like my E39 M5, it takes two bottles...

Good Luck, have fun, research up, and use what you like!!

Last edited by kaede; 04-05-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede
To OP,

I have used royal purple on my other vehicles because one of my car enthusiast friend raves about it. I have used both the regular ones and the new hps formula in my JDM vehicles. Both very disappointing and couldn't tell the difference at all. In fact, the oil sheared super fast and didn't seem to lubricate well after the first couple hundred miles. Initially, it did quiet down the engine, but then it became even worse than before, lifters have ticked so loud that i had the change it out. Also, it didn't seem to rev any more smooth or better. Lastly, I love the color purple, but dark purple motor oil is stupid. When you drain it you can't even tell if it is still clean or not. Overall my experience with RP is "meh". Won't recommend. But if it makes you happy, go for it!

I have been running Motul 300V 5w-40 in my DD e90 335i for a while and it is awesome! Lower engine temps, revs are smooth and very noticable when compared to OEM. Very stable temps during track days and UOA looks splendid. VERY LITTLE oil consumption vs OEM or other oils that i have tried in the n54!! HOWEVER, it is not meant for extended drain intervals. In fact, I drain and change my oil every 5k miles or so. Remember, it is still intended as a "race oil" to begin with, even with all the detergent and additives package i am not risking having it in the engine for too long. Again, is it overkill at especially when it's $17/quart? Ya, i think so. But I love the thing, smells SOOO good too (not that it matters)

In my parents E-Class Merc they have been using liqui moly and it seems to be fine. Less oil consumption, revs silky smooth but not as noticable as the Motul in the 335i. Maybe because of blowers? Can't comment much except it is a quality product that does a fine job.

If you want ultimate VI, then look no further than ENEOS, in particular the ENEOS Sustina. If you have not heard about them that's because they are not popular in EURO cars. But they do work great. Many good reviews on JDM forums and I have tried it on my other vehicle as well. Great stuff. Does it make more power and protect better? Power - i don't care, protect and clean - i'd say yes. I have ran it in my Honda S2000 and every drain (besides the first two) comes out clean. Clean as in it still looks orangy yellowish golden colored like when i first poured it in!!!

Redline, they are ester based like the Motul, but i have never used it sadly. But i believe that for sure it is an incredible product. I have read many threads and reviews and Redline always seems to have excellent feedback.

Lastly, this is not about oil, but rather an oil additive. (This is when i put my flame suit on...) OIL ADDITIVE, you've read about it, and you've heard about it, and to most people's consensus it is a big NO NO. That is before I stumble across an engine oil optimizer by the company RS-R from Japan. The product itself is called RS-R Ran-Up. Do yourself a favor and google it. Read some forums regarding this product. But from my experience this product is AWESOME. It is a synthetic powder-based lubricant that serves as microscopic ball bearings on your engine parts to reduce friction. I was very very VERY skeptical before but I now use it in all my E90 335i, E39 M5, and my NSX. Revs are noticably smoother, Revs build a slightly little bit faster, engine noise decreased due to reduction in friction, even shifting smoothness is better. Placebo? No... I tested this out on my parent's Van and my girlfriend's car without telling them. They felt the difference and asked what I did =D RS-R claim that it also makes more power, but i don't care again.

For anyone who is interested and is in the SOCAL area, give them a call because they had been giving curious customer a FREE sample and 2 FREE dynos at their facility to let you see the difference and to try out this awesome product. Don't know if they are still doing that though. But once you do try this thing, you'll be hooked, for sure. And this addiction is crazy... the RS-R Ran-Up retails $50 a pop. In a larger engine like my E39 M5, it takes two bottles...

Good Luck, have fun, research up, and use what you like!!
Thanks for this, it was very helpful! Which 300V are you running, specifically? I know there's several types (Power is one, I forget the others).

And to those saying what edge, I know oil doesn't make a huge difference overall but I'm a big fan of upgrading everything I can. I ditched the BMW branded oil a while back because it's little more than up-priced Castrol. I want to at least try something better, if I don't notice a difference then I'll just switch back. But it sounds like I will.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:
Give you an edge on what exactly? I've used BMW's oil for 210,000 miles at 17,500 OCIs. Use BMW's oil. It's priced decently and is recommended by the manufacturer.
17,500 OCI? Yikes

Did you mean 7,500?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

I use the Motul 300V 5w-40 power. I wanted a thicker oil for high temperature protection. But i am pretty sure you'd be fine running the 5w-30 power racing. Seriously though, the name doesn't mean anything... They name every single different weight of oil by a different name just to differentiate them.

Ya, give it a try, it doesn't hurt. You'd probably be decently surprised. Also, really give that RS-R Ran-Up a chance, expensive yes, and if it doesn't do you any good, then don't continue using it. I love it. Try finding a bad review on that product haha, NO ONE review or user has said anything negative besides probably b*tching about it being so damn expensive. If you use it, the effects don't show right away, it kicks in after maybe one or two days of driving on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

That RSR stuff is one of the following

Tungsten Disulphide (most likely)
Molybdenum Disulphide
Boron Nitride

Given its cost, I can only assume it is submicron tungsten disulphide, since moly and boron additives are available at a fraction of the cost
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
17,500 OCI? Yikes

Did you mean 7,500?
Seventeen Thousand Five Hundred (17,500) miles between oil changes...

Just effs up the whole oil discussion thing. Dang.

Again, what is the "edge" you are speaking of? Speed, performance, cost, what?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
douwe22
dual Afe intake/ cobb/ forge dv's/ 94 oct.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335xi, 2008 x5 4.8i

Quote:
Thanks for this, it was very helpful! Which 300V are you running, specifically? I know there's several types (Power is one, I forget the others).

And to those saying what edge, I know oil doesn't make a huge difference overall but I'm a big fan of upgrading everything I can. I ditched the BMW branded oil a while back because it's little more than up-priced Castrol. I want to at least try something better, if I don't notice a difference then I'll just switch back. But it sounds like I will.
BMW oil is made by Castrol if im not mistaken, i would stick with oem oil as it is reccomended, specially if you still have warranty on your vehicle left
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I run RLI Bio-Syn 5w-40:
http://www.renewablelube.com/synxtra...otor%20Oil.pdf

http://renewablelube.com/shop/index....&product_id=97

The UOA results I received back were stellar, making the slightly higher cost of this stuff (~$11.75/quart) much more feasible. Furthermore, the oil runs cooler than most "synthetics" so that should really help you out given that you're running upgraded turbos and higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #14
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Seventeen Thousand Five Hundred (17,500) miles between oil changes...

Just effs up the whole oil discussion thing. Dang.

Again, what is the "edge" you are speaking of? Speed, performance, cost, what?
Any performance gain. Better cooling is definiley something I want, as I push my car. If I get speed or power benefits and an overall smoother running machine I'm satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #15
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe22 View Post
BMW oil is made by Castrol if im not mistaken, i would stick with oem oil as it is reccomended, specially if you still have warranty on your vehicle left
Hahaha I have aftermarket turbos, definitely no warranty left for me.

Last edited by thetedderbear; 04-08-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post
Tungsten Disulphide (most likely)
Ya, I think the key ingredient will be that. But regardless, give it a try
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

When I bought my US used 08 335i Coupe of course I preformed an oil change as who knows what the precious owner had let alone how long it was in the boat until it reached Beirut Lebanon- warm climate all year round.

I put M1 0-40 and after 500km I got a low oil warning! No oil leaks guys, honestly, my car just ate through that thin light gold oil...so, I went to my trusted mechanic and put 7 L of Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 and was very happy with the price/ reduction in clicking engine noise and of coure it's specs-

ACEA Standards: ACEA A3/B4
API Standards: API SN/CF
OEM Approvals : BMW LL-01 ; MB-Approval 229.5 ; PORSCHE A40 ; Renault RN0710 / 0700 ; VW 502 00 / 505 00 ; OPEL GM LL-B-025 ; FIAT 9.55535-H2/M2/N2

Here's the tech sheet if your interested- http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1357663396

I used the 5w 40 bc I live in a warm climate hence viscosity. If I was still
Back in the UK I would of used 5w 30.

The bottle also states this oil is specifically made for Turbo Char' and Diesel engines.

I've reset my odometer so let see how long Motul will last....

BB
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
German Castrol 0W-30. Seriously, it is some of the best high performance oil that you can buy for turbo cars. It compares well to Redline, Motul etc and meets BMW certifications. Plus it is readily available in parts stores. I used it in my STI and currently use it in my 335. Oil analysis after 10k miles is great and indicates that I can go longer if I want.

No oil is going to give you an edge if you are already using a high quality synthetic. Just pick one and stick with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
No oil is going to give you an edge if you are already using a high quality synthetic. Just pick one and stick with it.
+1, I say just go with whichever one that makes you happy! >=]
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0