E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Quaife LSD

09-02-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Mr Plum
A member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

Quaife LSD

My car went in to Bird’s last week for its first bit of modification. First on the list was a Quaife slippy diff which is now fitted to the car. The guys at Birds looked after me and the car very well and it is really nice to speak to passionate enthusiasts instead of lazy stealers….Only really had a chance to get out and drive it (properly) last night as the journey home form Bird’s on motorways wasn’t particularly enthralling.

I had a Quaife LSD (and 6 speed close ratio box…) fitted to one of my old VWs and in a front wheel drive car the effects of an LSD are hugely noticeable. I had driven a Caterham with a Quaife LSD in the past – but that was on a track so I was keen to find out how the diff worked in the 335i on the road in the real world.

Anyway did 100 miles in it last night and what a difference! Firstly – no traction control light flickering on (which had been irritating me – I had managed to get it on on the test drive with the previous owner in the car without really trying!)

But the most impressive thing is how early you can get on the power without worrying about having to back off. One of the secrets to going quick is not putting the power on until you know you won’t have to feather / take it off – something you can do surprisingly early with the diff! For the second half of the journey I had the traction control off, DSC restricted and was very pleased with the way in which the back of the car could be brought in to play with some slip angle permitted without having your progress suddenly arrested.

Final test was the black no 11 test (but only as I am getting new rear tyres very soon) – pleased to report this is surprisingly easy – even with the auto box. Childish- yes. Juvenile - yes Hugely entertaining – oh yes!
In short – as I found with my previous car – a limited slip diff is, I believe, one of the first mods that should be done to any powerful car not fitted with one. Until you can use all the power you have available, you don’t need more. Would highly recommend one to anyone who is thinking about it and would recommend Birds for their service too.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great mod and I know Serjames loves it. Great write-up by the way!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Mr Plum - great write up - i certainly cant wait to get this mod - probably after my Ring trip and the wrap week after next - how much did it cost in the end fitted and all done??
      09-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Mr Plum
A member
Rep

Glad you like the report... purely my subjective view........

The price varies I think on model and gearbox combo - some are a little more awkward to fit I gather (manual tranny more awkward I think). Its just shy of £1500 fitted (and of course it comes with a warranty) but I gather from reading the forum that serjames may have negotiated a bit of a discount for e90 posters...

All the pricing can be found on the Birds website here : www.birdsauto.com

ARBs next for me I think........
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Mr Plum - think i may be following suit with your mod list Sir!! I also have been thinking about ARB's but i keep being told the rear subframe has to come out to fit the rears??? Supposedly quite labout intensive - have you had any quotes for this yet?
      09-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Mr Plum
A member
Rep

Only looked at the pricing on Birds site - a little over £800 by the looks of it.

Apparently there is no point doing the ARBs until the diff is done, or at least have them done at the same time. Need the diff to handle the stiffer rear end...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

glad your 'enjoying' it

i certainly get a lot more GPG ( grins per gallon ) with mine fitted

i too recomend Birds service, was well worth the long drive down south for.

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I can only imagine how sideways our fuckers can go with that diff. Mine is sideways all the time without LOL
      09-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plum View Post
Glad you like the report... purely my subjective view........

The price varies I think on model and gearbox combo - some are a little more awkward to fit I gather (manual tranny more awkward I think). Its just shy of £1500 fitted (and of course it comes with a warranty) but I gather from reading the forum that serjames may have negotiated a bit of a discount for e90 posters...

All the pricing can be found on the Birds website here : www.birdsauto.com

ARBs next for me I think........
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Mr Plum - think i may be following suit with your mod list Sir!! I also have been thinking about ARB's but i keep being told the rear subframe has to come out to fit the rears??? Supposedly quite labout intensive - have you had any quotes for this yet?
Quote:
Only looked at the pricing on Birds site - a little over £800 by the looks of it.

Apparently there is no point doing the ARBs until the diff is done, or at least have them done at the same time. Need the diff to handle the stiffer rear end...

I originally organised a 10% discount to E90Post forum members for the diff, and antiroll bars from Birds. All you have to do to qualify is to mention either my name or James when you're booking your car in.

With regards to the rollbars, it is important to install a diff either before or at the same time, because unless you have a slippy diff, you'll find the stiffer rear bar reduces the available traction. It is far easier to install both at the same time, and reduces the labour cost slightly.

I have previously posted a review of the Quaife LSD and the Hartge rollbars - I will ask Viv to put those reviews back on the forum and I'll add the links here once they're back on.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
Mr Plum
A member
Rep

Apologies for the miscredit E92Fan - remembered seeing something serjames had written and assumed he'd organised!

Apologies
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #11
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Dont upset our Tone... or he'll come knocking!!!
Looking forward to going out in your motor Tone and experiencing the LSD and ARBs in action. See you sat am!!
      09-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
yeah just get the diff done at the same time and it saves loads of labour...

BMW crippled this car when they used the "electronic LSD" - seriously !

If you haven't had this done and you've got a modding budget, save on the power stuff, exhausts, cosmetics and get this done first. Even with stock power you'l improve your 0-60 and the drivability around tight bends and out of corners is awesomely confidence inspiring.

We're not lying guys get it done !

SJ
      09-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #13
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
yeah just get the diff done at the same time and it saves loads of labour...

BMW crippled this car when they used the "electronic LSD" - seriously !

If you haven't had this done and you've got a modding budget, save on the power stuff, exhausts, cosmetics and get this done first. Even with stock power you'l improve your 0-60 and the drivability around tight bends and out of corners is awesomely confidence inspiring.

We're not lying guys get it done !

SJ

Precisely!! And James would know... nutter looks out the side window most of the time...

Oh and ps, here...

Quaife LSD Review

and here...

Hartge Anti Roll Bars Review
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #14
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Apologies for the miscredit E92Fan - remembered seeing something serjames had written and assumed he'd organised!

Apologies
Don't care at all about credit or no credit ?!! Just saying the 10% still stands as that's what Jimbo and I benefitted from initially. We were the guinea pigs, so to speak...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Dont upset our Tone... or he'll come knocking!!!
Looking forward to going out in your motor Tone and experiencing the LSD and ARBs in action. See you sat am!!
Nah, I won't bother coming to find you... will send the boys from Chinatown instead...

Oh, and have to work out where we're meeting on Saturday... just realised it's really fooking early
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Tone - send me a PM and we can confirm where and what time sat am. Carlos is coming to me for 6am - if we then aim to meet you somewhere around the Blackwall Tunnel at 6.30am - then that gives the three of us more than enough time to get down to Folkestone for 8am which in turn is plenty time for check in etc etc. Just need a place to meet after Blackwall Tunnel - im thinking hard shoulder????