E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Provence + Cote D'Azur

04-03-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Provence + Cote D'Azur

Hello all,

I know a lot of people here travel to Europe often.

I am looking at going to Provence with a couple of friends and the missus in my 335D this June once I have had the car remapped and an LSD fitted etc.

I wondered if anyone knows of any especially nice places to visit, excting roads if any, castles, towns, nightlife etc etc.

I know there is a good chance that coming down from Calais I will meet a lot of toll roads with what looks like a total of about 100 euros in tolls to get there...

Is there a realistic alternative down more interesting back roads etc? I have no worries stopping somewhere on the way and planned to do so anyway really...

Any ideas from someone who knows or has done a similar trip?

Cheers
Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Only ever touched on the Provence area tbh but yep, very nice. Know more about the Dordogne. Milau Bridge is an obvious visiting point and worth it, also The Camargue region for good driving roads and vistas.

As for the tolls. Cost me around £40 last year (exchange rates were better admittedly) that was Dordogne area and back. Did venture off onto the 'normal' roads but found some of them to be as badly surfaced as ours.

Sure some of the others will have some pointers.

I'll ask my mother as her and my father have stayed in various hotels and the odd Chateau in that region.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks thats very kind.

Tolls as far as I can see will be about 80 Euros, so I guess about 80 quid really.

One thing we have sort of decided is that a proper bed will be needed somewhere between Leeds and the South of France as even driving in shifts, we wont make it in one piece

Still, this is the perfect excuse to get some work done on the car and I am really looking forward to the adventure!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

You're better off turning the trip through France into part of the holiday.

Its one of the most varied and beautiful countries - and so close to home. The calais region is a bit flat and dull though so best head south sharpish...

If you allow 3 days you can stop in some great little towns, very hospitable with great food and drink - as long as you make an effort with the lingo. (even my schoolboy french is enough to get by)

The routes are endless, you should read up on it, you'll be amazed at the dozens and dozens of beautiful medieval towns and villages you'll pass through. All with great cafes and restaurans and cheap, clean, hotels. Its impossible to recommend any really.

My fave general route is South: Calais, head south keeping WELL north east of Paris (avoid paris at all costs unless you are staying there) toward Reims, Dijon then stop over in Chamberry (gateway to the alps). The take your pick of routes to the south coast. Try the N85 Route napoleon - unmissable. Maybe take in a proper pass up to 10,000ft+ have a snowball fight at the top in mid summer!

Stay on the south coast as planned then either nail it up the peages in 1 long day to Calais, or mosey up the West Coast and Brittany or keep central via the Dordogne etc...

The choice is endless, but use the peage and you'll miss the best of what France has to offer......

Our baby is too young this year, but we'll be going back from 2011, can't wait...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Very handy mate, thankyou!!

I will have a look then and may come back for some more specific advice

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Route Napoleon is a well known route for car enthusiasts, so that should be a MUST!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Doughboy has summed it up really!

I've done East Yorks to Martel in a day and it was quite tiring tbh, took about 14 hours including various cig, fuel, wee and food breaks. Last time we split the route by staying over at Rouen for the night.

You could say go from Leeds and get to Dijon or that area, roughly 665 miles which is feasible in a day, then Dijon to Avignon is approx. 262 miles.

Couple of places in or near beautiful Avignon are: Hotel Crillon le Brave and a VERY nice one is Chateau de Montcaud.

Believe it or not Best Western own Chateaux in France and we stayed in one last year near Le Mans - was lovely.

You're spoilt for choice basically. Sure you'll have a great time whatever.

Last edited by beemerbird; 04-06-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0