E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Performance Driving School

01-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #23
Centex Hokie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Going to first Performance Driving School in February

I am taking my E93 to a Performance Driving School in February. This will be my first. So far I have gathered that I need to take the following:
  1. Humility
  2. Functioning Brain
  3. Additional Oil
  4. Additional Brake Fluid
  5. Window Cleaner and Paper Towels
  6. Tire Pump and Tire Gauge
  7. Torque Wrench for Lug nuts
  8. Snacks and Drinks
  9. Helmet or Rent
  10. Chair for Wife
  11. Extra Humility

Anything else you would suggest for a 1st timer who is excited, but a little nervous.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex Hokie View Post
Anything else you would suggest for a 1st timer who is excited, but a little nervous.
Here's my analogy to getting on track for the first time.

It's like having sex for the first time. It is nothing like you've imagined. The first time out doing it may be daunting, and trust me, you have no idea how it's done.

So just like having sex, the best advice is probably, just go with the flow. The more "nervous" you are, the less likely you'll "perform."

Trust me on this.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #25
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I attended the 1 day M-School in South Carolina.

Besides that, I've particpated in the BMWCCA HPDEs, as well as open track days by other clubs.

My recommendation is to save your money, and attend the BMWCCA HPDEs instead.

While it was awesome driving all the M cars, the whole day was really a quick overview / taste of many things....from short runs through 1-2 corners on a section of the track, to skid pads, to a short auto-X experience, and finally to a partial track run.

The 3 day M-School or driving school will be more comprehensive obviously, but considering how much it costs, I really recommend the BMWCCA HPDEs instead. The instructors are excellent, and you will learn the same things in the club's Car Control Clinics, autocrosses, and HPDEs.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
Centex Hokie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

It's like having sex for the first time. It is nothing like you've imagined. The first time out doing it may be daunting, and trust me, you have no idea how it's done.

So just like having sex, the best advice is probably, just go with the flow. The more "nervous" you are, the less likely you'll "perform."

Trust me on this.
Nervous is probably the wrong word, anxious might be a better one.

I realize that I can't help but get better and I go to flight safety international training bi-annually for flight training. I'm always a little anxious with that one too, but I always improve and learn something. I would expect this to be somewhat similar. Just not wanting to have the day end early because of something simple I didn't take with me.

I'm looking forward to the experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex Hokie View Post

Make sure whether numbers will be provided. Some clubs expect you to bring numbers for your car.

Learn the track on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

I have also been to several different driving schools to include Skip Barber, The 2-Day M School in SC, Tim O' Neil Ralley School and ITI (protection/ motorcade etc). You will have a great time and learn a lot.

Since you are in NY, I would look at Skip Barber at Lime Rock and Tim O'Neil in NH or Vermont (I forget). They are a great balance. Barber (or any raod course) will teach you the fundimentals of on-road car control and the intro to race type driving. Tim O'Neil is great for vehicle dynamics, left-foot braking, turns and high speed driving on loose surfaces. Ralley driving is fun like no other.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #29
Centex Hokie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Make sure whether numbers will be provided. Some clubs expect you to bring numbers for your car.

Learn the track on YouTube.
Thanks. I ordered a set of numbers on their registration site.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #30
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

Trust me on this.
It helps if your partner is experienced.

@Centex Hokie
So bring an experienced car. The list looks fairly complete. Bring layered clothing. I don't know how some people do without, but bring your favorite gloves. If it's going to be a long day, bring 5 gallons of fuel, ask the organizers if you need it. You may want to bring your tire pressures to the event on the high side, so you only have to let air out, instead of scrambling to find compressed air. Tire chalk or paint is also beneficial... Ask your instructor how to "read" it, i.e., scrubbed off below or above the triangles.

Edit: Don't forget sunblock, even though it's In February. I forgot it once and regreted not having any.

FSI, heh? You'll have no problem then! There are ~a lot~ of similarities between high performance driving and high performance flying! Situational awareness, precision, timing, eye/hand/brain coordination, repetition, and good communication with your instructor are essential. If you've done aerobatics, then you'll really see the similarities!

Last edited by IN54NITY; 01-21-2011 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Sunblock.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #31
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
It helps if your partner is experienced.

@Centex Hokie
So bring an experienced car.
Actually, I was going to suggest have an experienced passenger at all times like a good instructor but that's another subject matter entirely. 'Cause there's no way I'm going to equate that part of what I do to sex.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0