E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another Car stolen! DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOURS TODAY!

09-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #89
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
It does not look good to put disklock on your beemer especially when you are parking in a parking lot with other cars.
Hence I am opting for OBD disabled stickers.
That's a pretty daft comment. Who the hell cares what it looks like? I put the disklock on my M3 whenever I leave it in a public parking lot. The car has always been there when I've come back to it. Funnily enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #90
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
That's a pretty daft comment. Who the hell cares what it looks like? I put the disklock on my M3 whenever I leave it in a public parking lot. The car has always been there when I've come back to it. Funnily enough.
Thats your car, and that is your choice. If you are happy with your M3 having fugly dislock, carry on.

I don't like dislocks and I will go for other measures. Having fooking beamer in a parking lot with dislock!!!! have a laugh.

Thanks.
      09-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #91
Meshyo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335I

Quote:
Thats your car, and that is your choice. If you are happy with your M3 having fugly dislock, carry on.

I don't like dislocks and I will go for other measures. Having fooking beamer in a parking lot with dislock!!!! have a laugh.

Thanks.
+1 mate, cannot stand the look of them. It's poor that you need a disklok even though you own what is quite an expensive car!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #92
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshyo View Post
+1 mate, cannot stand the look of them. It's poor that you need a disklok even though you own what is quite an expensive car!!!
So the pair of you would rather have your cars nicked than sat there with a disklock on because it doesn't look cool. Oh dear.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #93
Robin330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

I have a disclok on mine along with the obd port moved, yes it does look crap and yes I always want my car to look good but I also want the peace of mind that when I come to the car it will still be there.

I personally really do hate the look of it fitted but also like seeing my car where I left it.

Each to their own - no point arguing about it, do what pleases yourself not others.
      09-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #94
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

I agree that a big silver disklock looks horrid and doesnt do anything for the look of my BMW, but i would rather take every precaution possible and have an ugly car that it still there when i come out.

For me,

Upgraded alarm with very visible warning light which also immobilises the OBD port.
Relocated OBD port.
Disklock.

May be over the top, maybe not, people have different perceptions. I would rather take all these steps and do my best to have a car that is still there.
      09-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #95
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
So the pair of you would rather have your cars nicked than sat there with a disklock on because it doesn't look cool. Oh dear.

Carry on laughing, because I laugh on those who use dislock TBH especially on M3 .

I have done many other measures and I know that my car cannot be taken away. End Off. And I am not stopping here. Going to add few more sensors and at the end tracker.

As Robin said that there is no point of arguing. .

I am sure most of us do not like dislock on our cars, but at the end of the day if you do not feel comfortable leaving your car somewhere, then you use it because none of us is happy with BMW security measures.
      09-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #96
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

I just temporarily relocated the OBD2 port until my extension cable turns up.
(funny how you were able to find a 3m cable as opposed to my 10m one)

Any way, the job didn't take long. I wasn't expecting to find a speak+wiring and wiring attached to the kick panel when I took it apart. This made the awkward position more difficult to deal with.
Once it was done, some how I ended up with a left over part that I have no idea where it came from. My bonnet latch isn't sitting perfectly so maybe the part came from there.

Considering it was so simple to do and it raises the security of your car a couple notches; I suggest everyone does it instead of sitting on your hands.

The guide I used:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-port-t117279/

The other item I found confirms my suspicions that a child seat was fitted to my car by the previous owner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #97
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
The other item I found confirms my suspicions that a child seat was fitted to my car by the previous owner.
Oh my god! you mean the previous owner had a CHILD, and they dared to put the filthy thing in your car?

Outrageous! I think you should call the Police straight away and tell them about this dastardly crime.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #98
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Oh my god! you mean the previous owner had a CHILD, and they dared to put the filthy thing in your car?

Outrageous! I think you should call the Police straight away and tell them about this dastardly crime.
sarcasm noted!
Got the car with the passenger airbag disabled light on and a couple of scratches on the interior trim. The dealer was adamant that no child seat was fitted prior and it was just normal wear and tear. I would have negotiated for more discount if I knew the seat belts would have been stretched out to their maximum limit to acomodate a child seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #99
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I know that my car cannot be taken away. End Off.
Probably one of the most small minded things I've ever heard!

Ok, your car might not be as easy a target for this type of attack as others with your 'mods', but unless you've bolted the wheels to the road, what's to stop someone putting it on a flatbed?!

With enough know how, a determined car thief will have any car thy want.
      09-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #100
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

@ Tripleblack

Out of interest, will you need to book your car in to a dealer to have your passenger airbag re-enabled or is it something that you can do yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #101
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio
@ Tripleblack

Out of interest, will you need to book your car in to a dealer to have your passenger airbag re-enabled or is it something that you can do yourself?
Figured it out on my own... Felt so proud afterwards. Open the passenger door. Look at the side of the dash which gets hidden when the door is closed. Pull out your key from inside the fob. Slot it into the hole and twist. If the light doesn't go off instantly it will go off once you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #102
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Personally I couldn't give a f**k about the appearance of a Disklok: if it makes a thief move on to another car that's easier to steal (i.e. one without a Disklok) then it's done it's job. Agree it's completely pathetic that we all feel the need to go to these lengths on a car such as a new(ish) BMW.

I even went on the search for a bright yellow Disklok rather than the more common (current model?) silver one - if it's gonna look obvious then it might as well look really obvious!
      09-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #103
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
sarcasm noted!
Got the car with the passenger airbag disabled light on and a couple of scratches on the interior trim. The dealer was adamant that no child seat was fitted prior and it was just normal wear and tear. I would have negotiated for more discount if I knew the seat belts would have been stretched out to their maximum limit to acomodate a child seat.
Sorry - OT

Chances are it would have been an ISO_FIX seat, so no seat belts needed.

Anyway, why it it problem to roll out the belt a little? Even with seatbelt secured child seats, the belt isn't tight, its only under strain in a crash, same as when an adult is using it?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #104
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Probably one of the most small minded things I've ever heard!

Ok, your car might not be as easy a target for this type of attack as others with your 'mods', but unless you've bolted the wheels to the road, what's to stop someone putting it on a flatbed?!

With enough know how, a determined car thief will have any car thy want.
I know what I have done to my car and hence I can be that sure. Thanks for sharing your comments though they do not help the situation at all except depicting the state of your mind.
      09-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #105
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Once it was done, some how I ended up with a left over part that I have no idea where it came from.
That sits b/w bonnet latch and the base on which bonnet latch goes.

Hope that helps.
      09-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #106
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Sorry - OT

Chances are it would have been an ISO_FIX seat, so no seat belts needed.

Anyway, why it it problem to roll out the belt a little? Even with seatbelt secured child seats, the belt isn't tight, its only under strain in a crash, same as when an adult is using it?
Well it seems as though my knowledge of child seats is a bit dated, ive just googled ISO fix.
Last time I had to deal with one, it required the seat belt to be pulled to its length and wrapped round in a particular way.
And I'm not completely sure how a seat belt works but the mechanism that locks the belt when force is exerted isnt the same as the part that holds the very last bit of the belt. Wouldn't the strain be there where the stitching is?

Quote:
That sits b/w bonnet latch and the base on which bonnet latch goes.

Hope that helps.
Yeah thanks very much. I never saw when it fell down. Some how it ended up inside the side panel and it must be the reason why the latch doesnt feel the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #107
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

I predict this is soon going to also be a problem for Audi owners as well; the company that produce the main public available Key programming device have just released one for Audi's
      09-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #108
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

O fook maybe if it starts affecting other makes of cars in vast numbers it might get the whole industry to do something about it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #109
ian_m
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330 d

Garage List
[QUOTE=TripleBlack;12635587]Well it seems as though my knowledge of child seats is a bit dated, ive just googled ISO fix.
Last time I had to deal with one, it required the seat belt to be pulled to its length and wrapped round in a particular way.
And I'm not completely sure how a seat belt works but the mechanism that locks the belt when force is exerted isnt the same as the part that holds the very last bit of the belt. Wouldn't the strain be there where the stitching is?

mmmmmm just the same if some fat biffer had sat in the seat prior to your ownership
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #110
Siren_G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp RWD, BMW E39 M5, L

I'm taking no chances and am getting someone to do the following, (well my husband is So don't ask me how):-

1. Relocate the obd2
2. Install a second obd in the usual location with current running through it - some kind of reverse current that will blow any diagnostic machine that attaches to it.
3. Steering Wheel Lock
4. Aftermarket alarm system, probably Clifford
5. Tint all the windows using a particular film that should re-inforce the glass.
6. I have a tracker so I'm activating that.
7. I'm thinking of having 2 trackers in the car.

After all that....if it still gets stolen I've got gap insurance.