E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just got my new BMC Airfilter

10-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #23
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
Looks very much like a K&N to me..
Ya I wonder if there's really any difference...?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 02:49 AM   #24
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
It looks like the oem stock filter (but with a higher air flow, I guess). I have the ITG filter and do not notice any difference. I think that some ppl were right when they said adding an aftermarket air filter won't do much for a F/I tt car like the 335i (they make more of a difference on a N/A car), but I'm interested to know what you think. Let us know.
I highly suggest the BMC after the short time I had it dude it will not disappoint you I'm serious.Much better flow then both stock and ITG and even my idle is alot nicer too I'm pleased and its a much better effect then the ITG was thats a positive.It's also hard to Dyno an Airfilter you don't have actual air flow as if you were moving so obviously you probably wont see gains on a dyno but it's totally worth it and I have yet to hear anyone say bad things about the BMC.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #25
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Is this actually supposed to be better than ITG?
      10-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
I highly suggest the BMC after the short time I had it dude it will not disappoint you I'm serious.Much better flow then both stock and ITG and even my idle is alot nicer too I'm pleased and its a much better effect then the ITG was thats a positive.It's also hard to Dyno an Airfilter you don't have actual air flow as if you were moving so obviously you probably wont see gains on a dyno but it's totally worth it and I have yet to hear anyone say bad things about the BMC.
+1 and a bag of chips......
      10-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #27
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

I havent had any issues with my ITG filter. Never any CEL's either(cant see how this would throw any either).
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #28
pikkashoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335 Coupe

Ive had my ITG for one week, no CEL's, no issues. No difference either, other than I can hear the turbo's spool a bit more.
      10-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #29
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkashoe View Post
Ive had my ITG for one week, no CEL's, no issues. No difference either, other than I can hear the turbo's spool a bit more.
+1. Same experience here (but I've had it in for about 2 months).

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #30
mayno
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i / 2018 BMW 430i Conv

$120 for an air filter! what a joke?!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #31
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayno View Post
$120 for an air filter! what a joke?!
And? Some other people and I paid over $100 for their ITG filter which is crappy in comparison.I dunno I don't nesscessarily look for baragins thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #32
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
All I know is when when Walked U had an ITG filter he threw CEL's almost daily and ended up going back to stock.When I had ITG it wasnt really impressed with it and now that I have the BMC I notice my car idles alot better where as with the ITG filter the ECU seemed to have to adjust to the airflow constantly. Also as for the K&N for the 335 I've never seen it but Ive never really cared for K&N and after viewing a thread on M5Board I was convinced on getting the BMC as almost all the members bought BMC or switched to BMC.Also BMC provides airfilters to basically all of the Forumla one teams so I'm sure it's not a bad decision.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...ight=BMC+K%26N

Do you think the EML had something to do with running the procede in your vehicles?

We have sold 100+ of these ITGs and haven't really heard of many EML issues, at least with people running without a procede. TTs and JBs seem to work well with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #33
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Do you think the EML had something to do with running the procede in your vehicles?

We have sold 100+ of these ITGs and haven't really heard of many EML issues, at least with people running without a procede. TTs and JBs seem to work well with it.
Can't say I've had any problems with the ITG Filter, but I just don't think it does anything in regards to an increase of HP/TQ or filtration...sorry, but I'm not exactly 100% satisfied with the ITG Filter. I'm running PROcede v2.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #34
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Can't say I've had any problems with the ITG Filter, but I just don't think it does anything in regards to an increase of HP/TQ or filtration...sorry, but I'm not exactly 100% satisfied with the ITG Filter. I'm running PROcede v2.

4 whp is hardly anything you can feel by the seat of your pants. Did you dyno your car before and after?

We have many good results by replacing the oem filter with the ITG only. Results can vary from car to car, however.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #35
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
4RWHP? Why not just keep less than half a tank of gas in your car all the time. That would make more of a difference than 4RWHP... I'd get a K&N for $20 if my stock filter was dirty... $100+ for an air filter... I'm in the wrong business.
      10-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #36
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
4RWHP? Why not just keep less than half a tank of gas in your car all the time. That would make more of a difference than 4RWHP... I'd get a K&N for $20 if my stock filter was dirty... $100+ for an air filter... I'm in the wrong business.

We are also fighting a very weak American dollar!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #37
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
We are also fighting a very weak American dollar!
I know thats right.....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 03:42 AM   #38
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well I've only had a couple limp modes while with the filter ,not CEL like he did and def not as often but like you said different cars respond differently.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #39
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I've only had a couple limp modes while with the filter ,not CEL like he did and def not as often but like you said different cars respond differently.
I know the procede and the TT can sometimes cause a limp home mode, not necessary from the air filter replacement alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #40
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know the procede and the TT can sometimes cause a limp home mode, not necessary from the air filter replacement alone.
Yes, but then how does it stop on a whole once the filter is replaced?How can you explain that? How can the only thing you do is replace the filter and then all of a sudden it stops completly and say it's not the filter?Also something I noticed is the thickness of the ITG is so thick it actually touches the bottom of the Airbox which is a bad thing becuase air isnt moving around the same and if you look at the bottom of my filter its actually burned where it made contact to the Airbox.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #41
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but then how does it stop on a whole once the filter is replaced?How can you explain that? How can the only thing you do is replace the filter and then all of a sudden it stops completly and say it's not the filter?Also something I noticed is the thickness of the ITG is so thick it actually touches the bottom of the Airbox which is a bad thing becuase air isnt moving around the same and if you look at the bottom of my filter its actually burned where it made contact to the Airbox.

It is hard to say since almost everyone who is having the issue with limp home mode after replacing their oem air filter with the ITG are running some sort of device(Procede, Xcede, RD Black Box, TT or what have you) to increase boost. I am not ruling out the filter had something to do with it, only trying to point out not everyone is having the limp home mode issue with the ITG.

As a matter of fact, I think the next generation of the Procede will be sold with the ITG tri-foam filter as an option!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #42
LateralG
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M54E46

more air = more dust?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #43
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralG View Post
more air = more dust?

It is possible to get more air without more dust.

itg's tri-foam Profilters achieves optimum performance in three key areas when compared to paper or other filter technologies:

Maximum Air Flow- The ablility to allow air to pass through without causing a large drop in pressure.

Cleaning Efficiency- The capability to arrest a high proportion of airborne dust while feeding the engine clean air.

Dust load-up Tolerance- The capability to abosorb a large amount of dust without reducing air flow capacity.

Off the topic...I see you are located in Shanghai, China. How is the German car tuning market there? What are some of the limitations to mods or regulations by the government? Any access to the F1 track by local car clubs or private parties for a track day? Please PM me with any information you may have.

Thanks

Harold
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #44
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
335i on dyno runs the same even with filter removed from the car, no bottle neck.
You do realize that on a dyno isn't the same thing as on the road with actual airflow right.
Appreciate 0