E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AA Headers minor issue...

11-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by polskatomek View Post

I went so far as to go to get adaptations reset by the stealership today (cost me $100 ) BUT I STILL HAVE THIS STUPID STUMBLING IDLE

Thanks for everyone's input and experiences
What dealership? If it was Jessel I would question whether they actually did anything.

In my experience they are lying cheating D-bags.

BTW where in Van are you located? I have always wondered how my car would pull compared to a 330. All within the confines of law, of course. And obviously in a safe place...

(2007 manual 328i n52 w/ aa tune/headers etc)
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
So, I took my car back down to my local indy to get re-flashed from AA (they were very accommodating in talking with me on the phone about my issues) and I confirmed that this was a stage 3 flash, taking into account all my mods, etc. BUT the idle issue was still there when I went to pick my car back up. Thinking that this might be related to another issue I cleaned my VANOS solenoids last night, MAF, and hoped that all would be fixed when I started her up this morning... To my dismay again, it was not. I had 2AAB and 2A99 fault codes stored, so that was why I thought maybe cleaning the solenoids would fix it

I went so far as to go to get adaptations reset by the stealership today (cost me $100 ) BUT I STILL HAVE THIS STUPID STUMBLING IDLE

One more thing I'm thinking I could try is switching primary O2 locations just in case they were misplaced after installing headers, but wouldn't that in itself throw a lambda fault right away?

Thanks for everyone's input and experiences
I would take a look at the outside DISA valve to see if there's play in the flap. Those have been know to cause a surging idle.
      11-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #25
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90 View Post
I have had the same problem for months with the idle. I have the 3stageIM+aFemids+PE+aa.
I have noticed even after 300miles and cleaning my maf, adapt reset with Bav tool, reloading AA tune with G5 nothing help but just time. I currently have 800 miles and it finally went away. I was idling 900 instead of 600-700..
It was annoying as fluck...I will be buying a header soon but still unsure between AA,AFE,SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
What do you mean you'll be buying headers soon? You just mentioned you had AA headers.
He has indicated that he just has the stage 2 AA tune, I'm pretty sure.

pinoye90 I think you're probably right... last night and today I went out for a rip again, and I don't want to jinx anything, but so far it has been idling really nice with only minor, insignificant blips *FINGERS CROSSED* As for the headers, I really do like the fit and build quality of Active's- definitely recommend them.
E90 330i - Alpine White - 6MT - ZSP - 35% Llumar tint - OEM front splitters - Kerscher CF front lip - BMW CF performance trunk spoiler - matte black grilles - LED angel eyes - AA downpipes - AA tuned - MTech rear - charcoal delete - aFe Pro Dry S
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #26
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
What dealership? If it was Jessel I would question whether they actually did anything.

In my experience they are lying cheating D-bags.

BTW where in Van are you located? I have always wondered how my car would pull compared to a 330. All within the confines of law, of course. And obviously in a safe place...

(2007 manual 328i n52 w/ aa tune/headers etc)
I actually went to the BMW Store, on Burrard. Being the skeptical ass with OCD, I actually snuck into the service hangar after handing over my keys, found my car, and told the tech DON'T DO ANYTHING EXCEPT RESET ADAPTATIONS. Since then it seems like my car has done some re-adapting to the updated tune, because today my idle has smoothed out significantly. If it fixed it permanently, it's $100 well spent. Plus I loaded up on chocolate chip muffins in the lounge and got them to give my car a wash

I'm always down for a little (legal) spirited driving. I live in north van, u?
E90 330i - Alpine White - 6MT - ZSP - 35% Llumar tint - OEM front splitters - Kerscher CF front lip - BMW CF performance trunk spoiler - matte black grilles - LED angel eyes - AA downpipes - AA tuned - MTech rear - charcoal delete - aFe Pro Dry S

Last edited by polskatomek; 11-15-2015 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #27
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

By AA i meant AA tune since that's usually what it means, my bad I have the money for the headers just standing by researching more details
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #28
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
8lll
I'm always down for a little (legal) spirited driving. I live in north van, u?
Hey I am in New West... car is off the road at end of month... next spring we should do a meet!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #29
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Hey I am in New West... car is off the road at end of month... next spring we should do a meet!
Sounds good. Check this out for future GVA meets: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...er+meet&page=4
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #30
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

***UPDATE***
This problem hasn't gone away. In fact, in seems to have gotten worse, accentuated by a complete break-down on my way to work this morning. Car was running fine, then all of a sudden, when I come to a quick stop at a red light, the engine just SHUTS DOWN without so much as a sound. I am thinking "WTF?" and start it back up, throws a CEL, it is choking, misfiring, running rough as a whore, so after quickly pulling over, shut it off and get a tow to my indy. The code was the same as one I had last time I was misfiring on the highway when this whole idle issue started: 2a99 - exhaust camshaft correlation. Cylinder 6 was the one that misfired, and had pre-detonated, causing the spark plug to collapse in on itself. After checking all plug gaps, resetting the Vanos timing, the car started up and ran fine.

I picked up the car after work, and it's back to the way it was before, although I hesitate to say that it's fixed (my mechanic didn't replace anything, after all). Since I have cleaned my solenoids since the last time I had issues, and my idle is still inconsistent, and only settles temporarily at times, I'm worried that this is more than just a solenoids issue... camshaft bearing ledge worn?!? It seems to run the roughest when the car is on an incline/decline, or when coming to an abrupt stop, making me think this is an oil pressure/retention issue in the camshaft. Has anyone had experience with this? Should I just bite the bullet and get new solenoids?

I had a neighbor offer to buy my car the other day, and I never thought I'd say this, but I am now considering it, especially if the head needs to be replaced..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #31
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
***UPDATE***
This problem hasn't gone away. In fact, in seems to have gotten worse, accentuated by a complete break-down on my way to work this morning. Car was running fine, then all of a sudden, when I come to a quick stop at a red light, the engine just SHUTS DOWN without so much as a sound. I am thinking "WTF?" and start it back up, throws a CEL, it is choking, misfiring, running rough as a whore, so after quickly pulling over, shut it off and get a tow to my indy. The code was the same as one I had last time I was misfiring on the highway when this whole idle issue started: 2a99 - exhaust camshaft correlation. Cylinder 6 was the one that misfired, and had pre-detonated, causing the spark plug to collapse in on itself. After checking all plug gaps, resetting the Vanos timing, the car started up and ran fine.

I picked up the car after work, and it's back to the way it was before, although I hesitate to say that it's fixed (my mechanic didn't replace anything, after all). Since I have cleaned my solenoids since the last time I had issues, and my idle is still inconsistent, and only settles temporarily at times, I'm worried that this is more than just a solenoids issue... camshaft bearing ledge worn?!? It seems to run the roughest when the car is on an incline/decline, or when coming to an abrupt stop, making me think this is an oil pressure/retention issue in the camshaft. Has anyone had experience with this? Should I just bite the bullet and get new solenoids?

I had a neighbor offer to buy my car the other day, and I never thought I'd say this, but I am now considering it, especially if the head needs to be replaced..
Clean and swap them first.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #32
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I did that already- one week ago. If it were a solenoid issue, wouldn't the code follow the faulty one, not remain the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #33
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I did that already- one week ago. If it were a solenoid issue, wouldn't the code follow the faulty one, not remain the same?
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:22 PM   #34
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Correct.
Well f*ck me then... Could this be an issue caused by my tune timing? I really don't want to go down the money sucking hole of VANOS actuator or camshaft replacement
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #35
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by polskatomek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Correct.
Well f*ck me then... Could this be an issue caused by my tune timing? I really don't want to go down the money sucking hole of VANOS actuator or camshaft replacement
I doubt it's the tune. How does the valvetronic sensor look?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #36
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Haven't looked into that yet. Need to work up the courage. Too busy right now to tackle that if it needs replacement..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #37
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Haven't looked into that yet. Need to work up the courage. Too busy right now to tackle that if it needs replacement..
Start with the easy cheap stuff first dude.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #38
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thought I'd keep everyone apprised of my situation- it seems that after changing my spark plugs a couple weeks ago (NGK IridiumIX) my idle problem has been solved. I decided to give that a try since it was still running on original OEM ones. Been idling smoothly ever since. Technically, the BMW interval for spark plug change on the N52 motor is 100k miles/160k kms so I didn't initially didn't think of it, but of course, dirty plugs are known to cause idling issues! Still running AA's header tune and loving it
Appreciate 0