E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Question on using both Iphone and Ipod simultaneously

12-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
malibulivin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 m sport

Question on using both Iphone and Ipod simultaneously

Hey all.....got a technical question I'm hoping you can answer for me. I have a 2011 335d with BMW apps. I am currently using an Android phone, but shortly making the switch over to Iphone. I've been reading about some of the nightmares with the usability of the 4s and BMW apps, but that's another topic. Right now, I have my Ipod connected into the USB in the center console and it works great. Android syncs contacts well and will stream music via bluetooth. So, here's my question for someone who can help. If I get an Iphone, is it still possible to use my Ipod without switching them back and forth connection wise? I'd like to be able to use BMW apps, but then tap into my Ipod music library seamlessly. If so, what do I need to do to do that? Would I need to get the Y-connector for the phone, and then attach the Ipod to the USB in the glovebox? I have a huge music library on the Ipod, which if I have an Iphone, I lose out on. Or, do I get the snap in adaptor and continue to attach the Ipod to the USB in the glovebox.

Let me know if this makes sense.http://www.e90post.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif

Thanks for your help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

If you get the snap in adapter then you're be able to select iPod or cradle (iPhone) via idrive.

That's the only way to have both connected at once.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

What you want to do is exactly what I'm doing if I understand you correctly.
I have an iPhone 4s (running the latest IOS). I have connected this via BlueTooth for both telephone and music. This phone sits in my pocket and is not connected to my 2011 with all the apps suff including the iPhone apps - but I have not bought the snap-in adapter. I have connected an iTouch (first generation so it run IOS 3) via the Y cable to the connectors in the arm rest. From that I play music - only. Those two set up that way (phone via BlueTooth and iTouch via Y cable) works fine. I can make phone calls, I can switch music between the two devices fine.
Over the weekend I changed the setup somewhat. I have an iPhone 3gs (used before the 4s) also running IOS 5.x. So I connected this via the white Apple cable to the arm rest USB port - replacing the iTouch. This gives me everything the prior setup PLUS I now get access to the BMW connected application. This setup works great for me. In the car - I only use the phone for telephone and contacts for Nav and calling. I use the older 3gs as a music and connected app - 3gs gets charged and seems to work great.
The device you plug into USB you can't do BlueTooth audio which is fine since that is happening over cable.
So I think I'm doing exactly what you want to do. How much of the work your iPod can do depends upon the system level of it but at least it plays music sucessfully.
      12-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
malibulivin
Private
United_States
Rep

thx. I have an Ipod Classic, so no touch. I want to use BMW connected, so it sounds like I'll need to also purchase the snap in adaptor for my iphone in order to make it all work out.

BTW, I have been managing fine with just a USB connection on my ipod, rather than the Y connection. What's the difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

I think the difference between using the Y cable and white is the age / software version of the iPod. When I used just the white Apple cable I got no sound from the iPod. I have the Connected and don't use the cradle. I'm not sure what you need that the cradle will supply (it does, in theory, increase phone signal and supplies power to the phone which BlueTooth won't).
      12-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
danix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39,e46

The plugin has not performed exactly as I had hope. Sound is better than bluetooth audio, but I wasn't expecting to have to fire up the connected app every time I get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
malibulivin
Private
United_States
Rep

so, the connected app will work via bluetooth? facebook and twitter apps? or does it need to be plugged in?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibulivin View Post
so, the connected app will work via bluetooth? facebook and twitter apps? or does it need to be plugged in?
For apps to work, the phone needs to be plugged in via cradle or iPhone USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

You want both connected at once. You want to use your existing iPod for music and then also take advantage of apps via your new iPhone.

As I said originally the only way to do this is get the cradle. Phone goes in cradle. You will then get access to apps. Additionally, old iPod can connect to car via USB/aux as it does today.

Under connected drive you will see apps .... Under cd/multimedia you will see your iPod. You will also see youre iPhone since that can also be used to playback music too.

Ok?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjon View Post
What you want to do is exactly what I'm doing if I understand you correctly.
I have an iPhone 4s (running the latest IOS). I have connected this via BlueTooth for both telephone and music. This phone sits in my pocket and is not connected to my 2011 with all the apps suff including the iPhone apps - but I have not bought the snap-in adapter. I have connected an iTouch (first generation so it run IOS 3) via the Y cable to the connectors in the arm rest. From that I play music - only. Those two set up that way (phone via BlueTooth and iTouch via Y cable) works fine. I can make phone calls, I can switch music between the two devices fine.
Over the weekend I changed the setup somewhat. I have an iPhone 3gs (used before the 4s) also running IOS 5.x. So I connected this via the white Apple cable to the arm rest USB port - replacing the iTouch. This gives me everything the prior setup PLUS I now get access to the BMW connected application. This setup works great for me. In the car - I only use the phone for telephone and contacts for Nav and calling. I use the older 3gs as a music and connected app - 3gs gets charged and seems to work great.
The device you plug into USB you can't do BlueTooth audio which is fine since that is happening over cable.
So I think I'm doing exactly what you want to do. How much of the work your iPod can do depends upon the system level of it but at least it plays music sucessfully.
I don't think you actually read what the OP actually wants to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
malibulivin
Private
United_States
Rep

thx for the clarification apw! Appreciate everyone's help around here
Appreciate 0