E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission toast?

10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
pnastyFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

Transmission toast?

Had the car checked out and the shop is claiming I need to completely rebuild the trans and quoted me ~4k.

That being said I'm hoping its something I can fix because this just isn't adding up to me. The car makes a whistle/whining noise when its idling, only after I have just came off of the gas. For example, I will be approaching a red light and completely let off the gas, it will make the noise as soon as the rpms settle and continue for about 10-20 seconds after I stop. If i hit the gas at all while the noise is happening it stops, including when the car is not in gear and I rev it up. They told me its either the valve body or torque converter. SOS, I do not want to drop 4k into a transmission for this car when I am already considering trading it in. any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
pnastyFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

update: The noise got very bad and constant, I have to limp the car around until I can get it checked out again but I shut my jb4 off so I would be pushing less power and the noise is totally gone. Test drove for a few days and no noise, turn it back on to map 1 and bam noise again within seconds. ideas?
Appreciate 0