E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Respraying a bonnet - will it be the same?

05-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Respraying a bonnet - will it be the same?

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, but to cut a long story short, dealer damaged bonnet by adding stone chips to it. Car only had one stone chip That was touched in and now it's got three fresh unpainted chips - with one big one. Dealer offered to touch in but I refused as they said that it'd still be visible. They then said that they will respray the bonnet for me at their cost. The dealerships body shop is supposed to be really good, and they do top marque cars mostly. However, my cars colour is Titanium Silver, and as some here may know, silver is one hard colour to match. The dealership principal has assured me that it won't leave them unless he is happy that it is perfect as factory finish, which I do appreciate. But a couple of people have mentioned that they may blow in the top of the wings and A pillars to make it match and blend in with the rest.

My question is should I go for the respray of bonnet (making car 100% stone chip free) or just get the chips touched in and live with it?

The cars paintwork is as new as only a year old. So on the one hand I'm thinking it will match better now than say, in three years time, and part of me is saying it won't be the same again. Help please?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
BMW paint shops don't blend paint. They will take the bonnet off, paint it and put it back.

Mine is Montego Blue and Sycamores in Peterborough got it right first time (total bonnet respray)
      05-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Yep, with modern paint systems the days of blending in the wings etc are long gone.

I'd go for the repaint.
      05-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
I'd go for the repaint.
+1

No question about it really....

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Pwalo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 118d m sport Le Mans blue 2009

Guys- they still blend into the wings - no question - one of my best mates repaints Mercs all day long (mostly rust warranty work as they are made from shite) but I can assure you that for stone chips if they are deep you should insist upon a back to the metal repaint or ensure that there are no sinkage marks present inthe new paint when the job is done - with Silver its apparently the matching of the lacquer that cause the difference and not the silver. A touch up will always be visible - however on the other hand if you have had a full bonnet respray on a year old car and prospective buyer with a handy made will always spot even a professional respray - I always take Dave with me when buying a used motor
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwalo View Post
Guys- they still blend into the wings - no question -
Trust me. They don't