E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Battery and Registering

04-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #1
BaldyBeta
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

New Battery and Registering

Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 328i xDrive (N51). I just got an Odyssey Performance H8 Battery from FCP Euro.

I spoke with a Parts guy at a BMW dealership who said that if the cold cranking amp is different between my old battery (730) and new one (950) then I would need to register it with the CPU. I bought an ANCER BM700 code reader that when I try to register the battery it says it is not supported despite its capability to register the battery for an E90.

The FCP Euro rep said that I should be able to just plug it in and drive.

Now I dont know if the battery registration is not supported because it doesnt need to be or for a different reason.

Anyone have a take on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Registering the battery simply tells the cars computer that it needs to charge the battery at a lower rate than the older dying battery. Otherwise, the new battery may die prematurely from getting overcharged. I use Carly for BMW and bought their WIFI module and battery registering portion of the app. I've replaced two batteries in my E92 over seven years of ownership and read codes a number of times, so I think that it's been a good investment.
      04-27-2023, 11:41 PM   #3
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
CCA has nothing to do with it as far as I know. The registering/coding depends on the type (FLA vs AGM) and amp hour rating. If your replacement battery is the same type and has the same specs, then you should ideally register the new battery for reasons mentioned above. If different, then you need to code the new specs to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 01:24 AM   #4
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I'd rather get ISTA and a K-CAN Cable and do it through there
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 10:17 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldyBeta View Post
... 2011 328i xDrive (N51). I just got an Odyssey Performance H8 Battery from FCP Euro...Anyone have a take on this?
Welcome to the Forum!
Take:
1) You do NOT indicate (a) what TYPE (AGM vs. Conventional FLA) battery was previously installed in your vehicle, (b) what its Ah rating was (or what case size: H8, H7, etc.), (c) whether old battery was original (UNlikely), or (4) what the CAS Module Setting for Battery Type & Ah rating is (MOST IMPORTANT).

If I were spending $281 plus tax/shipping on an AGM battery (I never will -- got an H8 FLA at Walmart for $119 four years ago), I would want to know what the existing "Type & Ah" setting is, and get that changed if NOT for "AGM 90 Ah" (FCP says 85 Ah).
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aut...odyssey-49-950

If your "old battery" was only 730 CCA, that was likely only H7 or even H6 case size, and UNLESS YOU checked to see whether "TYPE/ Ah" setting was changed when that "Replacement Battery" was installed (factory battery likely 90 Ah Conventional FLA), that replacement battery probably did NOT last 5 years. If you install AGM with SETTING for conventional battery, it will NOT be charged optimally, and will likely NOT have expected service life.

INPA can display current "TYPE/ Ah SETTING". It cannot change that setting in CAS Module, NOR can ISTA. NCS Expert, another of BMW Standard Tools CAN change that setting. If you do NOT have the Diagnostic tools to READ that information from the DME Power Management (PM) Module, then you need to find a qualified shop with proper software who CAN.

If that setting is NOT "AGM 90 Ah", then you need to change that setting. The car will start & run just fine WITHOUT proper setting in CAS Module, BUT battery capacity will NOT be optimal, and service life will likely be shortened.

There's LOTS of "MISINFORMATION" about batteries and the PM system on the Forums. If you search "Battery Registration" (which is totally misunderstood by most ;-) you will find all kinds of concepts.

As a new Forum Member, if you want to maintain your own vehicle, see resources linked at thread below, starting with "E9x References" pdf:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...#post-13809917
George
Appreciate 0