Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pacific Northwest tire question

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-03-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
NavyBusa
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Pacific Northwest tire question

I'm in the process of moving to the Seattle area (Siverdale) from Italy and I'm wondering about the winters there. Do I need dedicated snow tires for the climate. I know the area had a bunch of snow last year, but what are the typical winter condition there. My car will arrive at Port Huneme in November and I want to go ahead and order up the snows if needed. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Cerezo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 TL Type-S

It snows one or twice a time a year at most in the city, and usually melts in a day or two. Last year was one big snow that freaked every one out. Whether you "need" snow tires or not you should decide for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i and 2007 e92 335i

The pacific northwest is for bitches. We all panic in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

No, I would say you don't need snow tires. I grew up in Bremerton, which is right next to Silverdale. That area does get hit a bit harder then other areas however, since it is within the "bananna belt", but if it's a normal winter it's never really a big problem. With that said, watch it snow like a mo fo this year.

Good luck with the move!
      10-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IboughtafreakingBMW! View Post
The pacific northwest is for bitches. We all panic in the snow.
lol..

Actually its more rain then anything.. at least in the Seattle area. Just get some good wet traction tires and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #6
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i and 2007 e92 335i

Actually, in all honesty it did snow quite a bit last year for a couple of weeks. There is no infrastructure to cope with that.

Because of that experience I am looking at winter tires with my e92. Even my FWD Altima with new Yokohama Advan V4S had difficulty with that due to lack of cleaning of the roads...

Last edited by IboughtafreakingBMW!; 10-04-2007 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: Removed irrelevant
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

While it normally just rains, and only snows occasionally in winter in Seattle, this video was taken last winter there:

Edit: it has a nice little E90 plug in it too!
      10-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Just get a tire that works well in the rain, and stay home like everybody else when it snows.

Even if you get snow tires, chances are high you'll get hit by some bitch (male or female) that thinks their SUV with all seasons is the perfect snow mobile. Or worse, once they discover that it's not, they'll get so scared they'll park it in the middle of the street, get out and start walking. The roads were close to impassible for two days last winter just because so many idiots parked their cars in the middle of the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
ohsnap
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post
Just get a tire that works well in the rain, and stay home like everybody else when it snows.

Even if you get snow tires, chances are high you'll get hit by some bitch (male or female) that thinks their SUV with all seasons is the perfect snow mobile. Or worse, once they discover that it's not, they'll get so scared they'll park it in the middle of the street, get out and start walking. The roads were close to impassible for two days last winter just because so many idiots parked their cars in the middle of the road.
lol i remember that brief stint of snow when the panic set in. was quite comical watching the news and seeing people dumping there porsches on 405..

again though, most natives know snow does not last for more then a few days max. of course there are those fluke season where we will get a good dump but thats pretty rare.

anyone remember the picture below last year? I was at this game and needless to say most people watching on tv thought this monday night game was in green bay of course. also to note, that was the first home hawks game to have snow. looks like a lot but actually melted away a few hours after the game. think rain!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0