E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Pure Turbos N55 single turbo upgrade

02-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #111
Jec1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan, 2013 Fr-s

Would this turbo work with lower boost pressures, say in the 12-14 psi range?

I'm not so interested in peak power gains, but the ability to have a nice midrange that stays flat till the AT 6700 rpm up shift.

Traditional stage 1 or stage 2 power numbers suffice for me, 300-350 rwhp max. I would probably run stock down pipes or maybe aftermarket catted, fmic, charge pipe if necessary, no meth, crazy boost numbers, corn fuel blends etc etc. Shell v power 93 all the time.

In other words, I understand I wouldn't see the full gains possible with my modification philosophy, but would there be any detriment using this upgrade with my proposed setup? Will I lose much noticeable power under the curve just to hold it up top? I spend way more time 2k rpm to 4k rpm than I do at 6k, public roads on my day to day roads aren't conducive to 3rd and 4th gear redline runs, but I hate how this engine runs out f steam.

This setup seems like a no brainer if so when these n55 turbos start going out in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #112
Pure Turbos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Turbo Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jec1 View Post
Would this turbo work with lower boost pressures, say in the 12-14 psi range?

I'm not so interested in peak power gains, but the ability to have a nice midrange that stays flat till the AT 6700 rpm up shift.

Traditional stage 1 or stage 2 power numbers suffice for me, 300-350 rwhp max. I would probably run stock down pipes or maybe aftermarket catted, fmic, charge pipe if necessary, no meth, crazy boost numbers, corn fuel blends etc etc. Shell v power 93 all the time.

In other words, I understand I wouldn't see the full gains possible with my modification philosophy, but would there be any detriment using this upgrade with my proposed setup? Will I lose much noticeable power under the curve just to hold it up top? I spend way more time 2k rpm to 4k rpm than I do at 6k, public roads on my day to day roads aren't conducive to 3rd and 4th gear redline runs, but I hate how this engine runs out f steam.

This setup seems like a no brainer if so when these n55 turbos start going out in a few years.
Hi Jec1,

Yes, in fact we expect to see a bigger top end gain on pump gas tunes. We originally requested that our customer with the test car did pump gas baselines. He misunderstood us and only did e85 tests. These e85 tests show the turbo close to its max rpm. If these were pump gas tunes, and lower boost pressure, the turbo would be more in "the meat" of it's efficiency range (not maxed out). So we would expect to see larger differences and gains between stock turbo and PURE turbo. I hope that makes sense. Our N55 335i shop car will be thoroughly tested and documented on pump gas. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #113
Jec1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan, 2013 Fr-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Turbos View Post
Hi Jec1,

Yes, in fact we expect to see a bigger top end gain on pump gas tunes. We originally requested that our customer with the test car did pump gas baselines. He misunderstood us and only did e85 tests. These e85 tests show the turbo close to its max rpm. If these were pump gas tunes, and lower boost pressure, the turbo would be more in "the meat" of it's efficiency range (not maxed out). So we would expect to see larger differences and gains between stock turbo and PURE turbo. I hope that makes sense. Our N55 335i shop car will be thoroughly tested and documented on pump gas. Thanks
It does make sense, and that's very good news for people like me, the set who would otherwise be looking at Dinan type products and set 'stages'. Many people outside of these boards are interested in a little more 'oomph' without worrying abt logging, meth flow and all the other nonsense that comes with dyno bragging rights. I have a growing business and a household to support, and I'd rather invest in hiring another employee or knocking off another improvement on the long list for my home than pushing my engine to the ragged limit to get 20 more horsepower.

May I suggest that there is a large contingent of people who buy these cars and are interested in spending another 5-10k for comprehensive stage upgrades. its why the Dinan 'stages' for the 550i seem to sell relatively well. Granted the profile of a 5'er owner is typically different but in any event nobody aside from Dinan and to an extent Cobb seems to offer comprehensive set upgrade 'stages' for the 335i. I got a 335i for a reason; my choice. M3 is too raw for day to day, 5'er is too boatlike. I have better use for funds than a Porsche at this point in my life, and there isn't really anything else that interests me. I've also done the tuning thing before, trying to put together a race car for the street than winds up being neither a real race car nor a practical street car, I'm too old and I don't have the time or patience.

Offer a set package, combine this turbo with whatever other products are necessary to support a given power level and offer a conservative off the shelf plug and play tune that leaves some power on the table but offers reliability and longevity. Sell these packages for a set price in conjunction with an authorized retailer/installer network, so someone can get everything they need for a bit more power and not have to do the legwork on their own. This model has been used countless times, but it really does seem to be lacking for these cars in terms of a professionally put together packages with all parts included for a set price. Set it and forget it is what many owners want, BMW is about refinement, not filing your windshield washer tank with explosive liquid.

In another couple years, n55 turbos will tend to be entering the mileage where failure is expected out of warranty. Your pricing is on point where it makes sense to upgrade at that juncture, however a complete upgrade solution would really help sales I think.

PS- what is approximate target boost psi on the 'pump gas' tune you mention?

Last edited by Jec1; 02-01-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #114
Pure Turbos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jec1 View Post
It does make sense, and that's very good news for people like me, the set who would otherwise be looking at Dinan type products and set 'stages'. Many people outside of these boards are interested in a little more 'oomph' without worrying abt logging, meth flow and all the other nonsense that comes with dyno bragging rights. I have a growing business and a household to support, and I'd rather invest in hiring another employee or knocking off another improvement on the long list for my home than pushing my engine to the ragged limit to get 20 more horsepower.

May I suggest that these is a large contingent of people who buy these cars and are interested in spending another 5-10k for comprehensive stage upgrades. its why the Dinan 'stages' for the 550i seem to sell relatively well. Granted the profile of a 5'er owner is typically different but in any event nobody aside from Dinan and to an extent Cobb seems to offer comprehensive set upgrade 'stages' for the 335i. I got a 335i for a reason; my choice. M3 is too raw for day to day, 5'er is too boatlike. I have better use for funds than a Porsche at this point in my life, and there isn't really anything else that interests me. I've also done the tuning thing before, trying to put together a race car for the street than winds up being neither a real race car nor a practical street car, I'm too old and I don't have the time or patience.

Offer a set package, combine this turbo with whatever other products are necessary to support a given power level and offer a conservative off the shelf plug and play tune that leaves some power on the table in conjunction with an authorized retailer/installer network, so someone can get everything they need for a bit more power and not have to do the legwork on their own. This model has been used countless times, but it really does seem to be lacking for these cars in terms of a professionally put together package with all parts included for a set price. Set it and forget it is what many owners want, BMW is about refinement, not filing your windshield washer tank with explosive liquid.

In another couple years, n55 turbos will tend to be entering the mileage where failure is expected out of warranty. Your pricing is on point where it makes sense to upgrade at that juncture, however a complete upgrade solution would really help sales I think.

PS- what is approximate target boost psi on the 'pump gas' tune you mention?
Well put Sir.

We agree with you completely. That is precisely our goal. With so many overpriced upgrade turbos on the market, we wanted to produce an offering which is affordable and practical. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #115
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Subscribed! That is spot on man.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #116
WickedWhiteN55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335I MSport

Sub’d
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #117
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Any more news on this?
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #118
Pure Turbos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Any more news on this?
We will have the PURE Stage 1 installed on our shop car soon. We can then provide a 2nd set of dyno results. We have shipped 3 out the door this last week. Any questions I can answer for you? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #119
marCOCOpuffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

I'm debating on getting this done. Make sure you get your shop car tuned with the AP!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #120
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Turbos View Post
We will have the PURE Stage 1 installed on our shop car soon. We can then provide a 2nd set of dyno results. We have shipped 3 out the door this last week. Any questions I can answer for you? Thanks!
Where do we stand at this stage with this upgrade. At present, I have a 2011 335i with the Dinan Stage II Tune.

I am interested to know what this upgrade would me for my spirited daily driver in terms of performance and what I would need to make this transition.

Thanks,
      02-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #121
Pure Turbos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
Where do we stand at this stage with this upgrade. At present, I have a 2011 335i with the Dinan Stage II Tune.

I am interested to know what this upgrade would me for my spirited daily driver in terms of performance and what I would need to make this transition.

Thanks,
This upgrade will add around 45whp on the top end rpm range. Gains are seen from 4700 to 7000rpm. This turbo fills the void where the stock turbo runs out of breath. PM sent, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #122
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Any updates on stage 2 progress?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #123
Pure Turbos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
Any updates on stage 2 progress?
In progress...

It will be a while before the N55 PURE Stage 2 is available. RB should have his N55 Stg.2 available sooner. RB is doing a different setup than we are. For those wanting a Stg.2, I recommend waiting for the PURE Stg.2 or the RB Stg.2. Both will be excellent.

We can currently build a N20 Stg.1, and the N20 Stg.2 is estimated 4-6 months away.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #124
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Good to know where you guys are at, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #125
335iFFM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Performance

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #126
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Sounds like it will be a couple of months. It is still pretty early in development.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #127
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
We need to have numbers on F series car with jb4
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #128
Pure Turbos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iFFM View Post
Any update?
Hey guys,

We have been bolting mods on our shop car. We will be using it to provide a second set of results for our PURE Stage 1. BTW, we have a few more tricks up our sleeve for the Stg1. We had a larger upgraded powdered steel thrust bearing system produced for these turbos. It will be utilized in our Stg1 + Stg2. Including the upgraded thrust, the Stg.1 turbo that will be tested on our shop car will have 3 changes made compared to the turbo that was used previously for the posted dyno results. We are expecting even more gains with these other changes. We have sold and shipped 6 of the PURE Stage 1 turbo in the last couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
Sounds like it will be a couple of months. It is still pretty early in development.
The PURE Stage 2 is in early development. Stage 1 is available and shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
We need to have numbers on F series car with jb4
I agree! Lets work out a deal!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #129
WickedWhiteN55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335I MSport

New, bearing type, stage 1 for N55. Price shipped to 78660?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #130
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Awaiting for mine to arrive
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #131
papiti
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i Coupe M-Tech

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. HOW MUCH SHIPPED TO 00969? N55 OF COURSE!!
      03-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #132
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Am I right in thinking this upgraded Stage I turbo + FMIC + COBB Pro tuning from PTF would make this N55 sing?