E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Correct Engine oil

08-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
rmens
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

Correct Engine oil

Hi,

I own a BMW 2005 e90 325i auto with about 27k miles on the clock.

I recently had the low oil light come on and I researched oil that I could put in to top up. This resulted in me putting in Penrite 5W-40 oil. It is BMW LL-01 compliant/compatible so this looked fine to put in.

Subsequently, when I slow down to stop, I can feel the car changing down gears sometimes when it stops. This feels like a little bump in the car, nothing too significant but it is new. Also, when I am reversing or going forward very slowly, it feels like the car is trying to pull off. it revs up and down a little bit, a few times.

I am not sure if the oil top up I put in had any effect on this or if this is independent of the oil.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Engine oil wouldnt have anything to effect the feel of changing gears thats the transmission. But being a quart low would do any of those other things you say u feel. Just top it off