E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New bike..now 335 is slow

12-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #111
SkyWalker_J
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 Jet Black

I know what you mean man. I go through that every so often myself. After summer I always go through this phase where I feel confined when I'm on the road, not being able to split cars, and cut to the front of the line at redlights

08 R6

07 E92

01 WS6

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #112
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker_J View Post
I know what you mean man. I go through that every so often myself. After summer I always go through this phase where I feel confined when I'm on the road, not being able to split cars, and cut to the front of the line at redlights

08 R6

07 E92

01 WS6

Nice collection of machines.
Oh, how much I hate it when I see cyclists doing this shit. If anyone ever do that around me (split and cut) they're asking for trouble. I will not hesitate to do a quick lane switch.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #113
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: hot rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
It is not what you ride. My 1981 cb125s is one of the funnest street bikes i have ever ridden. It's funny to see how the big boys on their "big" 600's chuckle at me.
They dont chuckle when they get dropped in the mountains when i am on my vfr with saddlebags. The guys on 600's in front of me don't chuckle at my 125.
agreed. but bigger/more power is better - so people think. and most may get the rush they're looking for by trying to hold one or maybe two gears open, probably while holding their breath, and possibly with their eyes shut. and that's fine.

the problem i've seen with bikes is, when you get one, everyone asks - what did you get? and then they judge your answer against other bikes out there. they probably don't mean to do this, but they do. knee jerk. because bikes are cool, and they get people excited. they don't get groceries. they go fast. but no matter what you have, there is almost always a faster better bike out there. (except for the guys buying the zx14. even then, a turbo modded whatever one ups them.)

my $0.02 on what makes a great bike to own? whatever makes you happy. if big displacement and dual underseat pipes make you smile, and you smile when people ask you what you got, then that's the bike for you. can a liter bike kill you? sure, but so could a 125. do you need to use the full potential of your bike? nope. it's silly to think most people could, with the level of bike being produced today. just depends on how fast fast enough is for you. and how sexy you want your bike to be.

dropping fairing-clad 600s on my 73 cb350 makes me smile, mostly from the looks of disbelief when i wait for them to catch up. and damn that bike has style.
favorite all time bike = XT600

congrats on your purchase OP, enjoy it for what it is. go at your pace. and big congrats for having a wife that rides - that's a beautiful thing.

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #114
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Omg.... Im so glad you are alive!
Thank you. If you're gonna be on a bike just remember the old saying ..there are 2 types of riders,those who have fallen and those who are about to. I don't mean to say this to scare anyone. Enjoy the ride. There is nothing like it , but always be prepared for what might be around the next corner or at the next stop light.......or the idiot carrying something in the back of his truck
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #115
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Thank you. If you're gonna be on a bike just remember the old saying ..there are 2 types of riders,those who have fallen and those who are about to. I don't mean to say this to scare anyone. Enjoy the ride. There is nothing like it , but always be prepared for what might be around the next corner or at the next stop light.......or the idiot carrying something in the back of his truck
trust me.. even in 90 degree heat I am always padded and geared up as if this would be a ride that I would hit the ground on
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #116
g335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
Yeah, that bike's a monster. My wife is 5'2 115 and the 250 is perfect for her.
Does she ever wish it had more power?? I was thinking of starting out on a CBR 600 and lowering it (since Im so short) .. On the GSXR my feet barely touch.. I usually have to lean the bike with one foot flat down and the other one still in the air because I cant straddle it comfortably. Its too high...Well unless I road in high heels but I dont feel like losing a toe lol
Sara the 06+ gixxers seat is lower than any year cbr...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #117
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsrbetter

agreed. but bigger/more power is better - so people think. and most may get the rush they're looking for by trying to hold one or maybe two gears open, probably while holding their breath, and possibly with their eyes shut. and that's fine.

the problem i've seen with bikes is, when you get one, everyone asks - what did you get? and then they judge your answer against other bikes out there. they probably don't mean to do this, but they do. knee jerk. because bikes are cool, and they get people excited. they don't get groceries. they go fast. but no matter what you have, there is almost always a faster better bike out there. (except for the guys buying the zx14. even then, a turbo modded whatever one ups them.)

my $0.02 on what makes a great bike to own? whatever makes you happy. if big displacement and dual underseat pipes make you smile, and you smile when people ask you what you got, then that's the bike for you. can a liter bike kill you? sure, but so could a 125. do you need to use the full potential of your bike? nope. it's silly to think most people could, with the level of bike being produced today. just depends on how fast fast enough is for you. and how sexy you want your bike to be.

dropping fairing-clad 600s on my 73 cb350 makes me smile, mostly from the looks of disbelief when i wait for them to catch up. and damn that bike has style.
favorite all time bike = XT600

congrats on your purchase OP, enjoy it for what it is. go at your pace. and big congrats for having a wife that rides - that's a beautiful thing.
Thanks. I'm enjoying my bike. I really wanted a naked bike but several friends talked me into a bike with fairings because it would cut the wind on the highway better. When I came across this one for such a great deal I couldn't turn it down. Wife knew she always wanted a ninja. She is taking her time getting comfortable on the bike before she hits traffic.
I just did the break in oil change and chain lube this weekend. Was easier than on a car. None of my friends change their own oil for some reason.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #118
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g335

Does she ever wish it had more power?? I was thinking of starting out on a CBR 600 and lowering it (since Im so short) .. On the GSXR my feet barely touch.. I usually have to lean the bike with one foot flat down and the other one still in the air because I cant straddle it comfortably. Its too high...Well unless I road in high heels but I dont feel like losing a toe lol
No, she isn't into speed. So the 250 will be all she will want. We looked into lowering but the cost and trade off isn't worth it. She can touch but not flat footed.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #119
SkyWalker_J
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
Oh, how much I hate it when I see cyclists doing this shit. If anyone ever do that around me (split and cut) they're asking for trouble. I will not hesitate to do a quick lane switch.
Thank you sir

Myself I'm not really into the whole road rage thing. I can understand why you would do that, but what you're doing really isn't any better than the people splitting lanes.

At the end of the day we're just trying to get where we're going. Some safer than others of course lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #120
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Welcome to the club. I have a built E30 that used to be my toy but then got the MV Agusta. Since then I think I have put 40 miles on the E30, I will probably sell it come spring. Cars are safer but nothing I can afford can come close to the thrill/terror this baby provides:

Edit: its also one of the reasons IDGAF about driving a wagon, shits useful as hell and any car BMW makes is pedestrian compared to that bitch.
Always loved the look of the Agusta's, sexy bike indeed.

R1 has always been a favourite for me, along with some Ducatis.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #121
nycbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAg 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
not to thread jack but why would you do that? You have no idea how hot it gets sitting in traffic, in gear, on a bike spitting out even more heat. I see nothing wrong with splitting lanes and filtering to the front at a red light. I do agree that splitting lanes at highway speeds is stupid, but still not a good enough reason to kill someone.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #122
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbr

not to thread jack but why would you do that? You have no idea how hot it gets sitting in traffic, in gear, on a bike spitting out even more heat. I see nothing wrong with splitting lanes and filtering to the front at a red light. I do agree that splitting lanes at highway speeds is stupid, but still not a good enough reason to kill someone.
This is why I wouldn't split lanes

[u2b]http://youtu.be/sQqScEUnHyQ[/u2b]

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #123
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

Mine's an '11 F800R, when I got it I had a 335 xDrive (auto) and I remember the car feeling slow after riding the bike around all day.

Last edited by Grendeltouring; 12-03-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #124
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Splitting lanes in NY is illegal.
California, legal (below a certain speed).
      12-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #125
SkyWalker_J
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
This is why I wouldn't split lanes

[u2b]http://youtu.be/sQqScEUnHyQ[/u2b]
In Cali we're allowed to split lanes to get to the front of a red or in times of completely backed up traffic.

As someone mentioned earlier a summer day in the valley sitting ontop of a Sportsbike with a temp climbing 215 is no fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #126
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Cali is the land of enlightened for motorcycles. Lane splitting is safer because you dont have dipshits behind you texting/calling/eating/reading/jerking/sleeping trying to ram you.

Pulling out on a bike that is passing is attempted homocide. Ever seen a person get hit by a car? Not pretty.
Guy on vancouver island did just that a few yrs ago... Pulled out on a motorcyclist. Charged and convicted of vehicular homocide. Killed someone. Who the f#ck does that???

Do you swerve at jaywalkers? Run speeders off the road? Cut off elderly drivers barely going the limit? Cut extra close to cyclists?

Dont be jealous. A bike going past is a bike not in traffic. You know what that means, dont you? Less traffic for the rest of you.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #127
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

Quote:
Cali is the land of enlightened for motorcycles. Lane splitting is safer because you dont have dipshits behind you texting/calling/eating/reading/jerking/sleeping trying to ram you.

Pulling out on a bike that is passing is attempted homocide. Ever seen a person get hit by a car? Not pretty.
Guy on vancouver island did just that a few yrs ago... Pulled out on a motorcyclist. Charged and convicted of vehicular homocide. Killed someone. Who the f#ck does that???

Do you swerve at jaywalkers? Run speeders off the road? Cut off elderly drivers barely going the limit? Cut extra close to cyclists?

Dont be jealous. A bike going past is a bike not in traffic. You know what that means, dont you? Less traffic for the rest of you.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #128
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
I was coming back from a car cruze. It was just getting dark. I was with a pack of friends. ...

<snip>
Been lurking here for a few months while I research my purchase (sometime early next year). But I had to reply just to say that is one of the most amazing stories I've read. And well worth the time.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #129
srSheepdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i - Montego Blue

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #130
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Been lurking here for a few months while I research my purchase (sometime early next year). But I had to reply just to say that is one of the most amazing stories I've read. And well worth the time.

Cheers,
Thanks for the read. I was afraid people were gonna roll their eyes when they saw how long the post was, but someone asked sooo. The crazy thing is there was a lot more to it after the ambulance got to me.There was a life copter en route to get me. When the paramedics asked if I thought they could get me on the ambulance ,,I just stood up.They freaked.But I didn't realize I even hurt my neck not to mention broke it. My helmet barely had a scratch on it. They figure it was from the bike hitting me.Since the accident thing have progressively gotten worse. Its a matter of all the scar tissue around that nerve, not the broken neck,,go figure.( The occipital nerve that was damaged goes to your ear and your eye. The surgery to get the scar tissue removed is sensitive. If there is any damage done to the nerve during surgery I could end up with permanent vertigo & still be in pain.Believe it or not I have been back on a bike. I still think about riding all the time. But as someone stated before even with health insurance the amount of money paid out has been astronomical & I'm always in pain. Its just a matter of how much. I take the highest dosage of pain killer allowed by law and on most days it doesn't help.I have to curl up in a ball and sweat it out.I have an awesome team of doctors and they've gone above and beyond for me. I'm not trying to scare anyone out of riding.In fact I wish more people would, because they'd have more respect for people on 2 wheels. This is just my story......& you know that saying that you figure out who your real friends are when you're down??? I found that one out very fast

Last edited by Reznick; 12-04-2012 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: added
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #131
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
This is just my story......& you know that saying that you figure out who your real friends are when you're down??? I found that one out very fast
I can only imagine! But sometimes it's better to figure that out than to never truly know.
      12-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #132
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Even if lane splitting were legal in GA I am still not a fan. If it were truely stopped traffic then I could go with the shoulder but the idea of going between cars that might be trying to make a lane change the moment they see 4 feet of space bothers me.

On top of that, when I was in Cali, everyone abused it. Bikes were lane splitting in moving traffic on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0