E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M3 fenders on 335i?

03-29-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
lee.minwoo_
instagram: black.listed_
Rep
Drives: e92.| e90.| E70.| P. | Duc.

M3 fenders on 335i?

hey guys i was wondering whether or not we can purchase the M3 fenders repilcas now? I asked the BMW dealership and they said that we can order the OEM fender (but that won't fit) or just the M3 grill inserts and have it custom cut in.. but what do you guys think? my dad purchased his e92 M3 and the fender itself is wider but the length of it is just about the same; but if i were to get the inserts installed they require a little flare or at least wider fender for it to fit without looking awkwardly. I like my dad's fenders alot and i want it on my 335i, but instead of having a M3 badge, i want to remove the 3 and put smaller 335i numbers on it so it would look like M335i or just 335i(in black chrome). I don't want to be a "poser" but the M is just to back up the Dinan flash that im going to get soon. can you guys give me a hand in finding just a replica that fits or perhaps give me an opinion? thanks guys!
PS. i tried finding a thread for this but they turned up old or ppl just ended up bashing about how it would like a "poser" so sorry if this is a repost. and if it is, please if you may redirect me to that thread? - thanks!

| Instagram: black.listed_ |
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
sillygoat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i tiag

i just want the wideness style of the e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
The fenders are only $2XX a piece so it doesn't hurt to order one and try it on, but you'd have wide fenders on the front and narrow on the rear. It'd look really weird. Also, you'll have to ask your body shop to sand down the front end of the fenders to make it sit flush with your stock bumper. Otherwise, you'd have to retrofit the M3 front bumper as well. If this is monetarily / technically feasible, some of the skillful members on the board would have done it already.

Also checkout the (not-so) wide fenders that Duke Dynamics is making:

http://www.dukedynamics.com/forums/v...ic.php?f=4&t=5

These don't look bad at all and won't be poseur

Last edited by Kev; 03-29-2008 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Those DD fenders don't look that wide at all. They actually look like factory replacements.

The m3 fender will fit, it just won't meet up with the wider front bumper. if you replace the front bumper and both fenders it should fit, but thats assuming the hood is the same overall shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
lee.minwoo_
Rep

OHH NICE! lol thanks for your advise guys! I'm not planning to put the M3 sign on the back of my car lol I'll be getting one in 5 months or so..i want the..DCT//SMG version of it? but yup yup thanks for your help!!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
Those DD fenders don't look that wide at all. They actually look like factory replacements.

The m3 fender will fit, it just won't meet up with the wider front bumper. if you replace the front bumper and both fenders it should fit, but thats assuming the hood is the same overall shape.
Hence, my comment of "not-so" wide fenders

I think the M3 hood is slightly longer than the regular E92 hood. Also, don't know if the mounting point of the front fenders are the same as the regular E92. Swapping the front bumper is not as easy, you'd lose your current foglights (need to find a place to mount them and tug them away) and you'd have to replace the underlying bumper guard, fender wells, etc. It's a huge project that takes time and money (lots of probably).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.minwoo_ View Post
OHH NICE! lol thanks for your advise guys! I'm not planning to put the M3 sign on the back of my car lol I'll be getting one in 5 months or so..i want the..DCT//SMG version of it? but yup yup thanks for your help!!
Which side of Canada are you in? If you're in Vancouver, you can get away with the M3 in the winter. I wouldn't recommend the M3 in Ontario unless you have a winter car or plan to skip work / school in the storm.
      03-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I am pretty sure OEM fenders will fit your car, but only if you also change the front bumper.

What the dealer is telling you is that changing the fenders ONLY will not work, due to stock front bumper not being wide enough.

Had I not done the E92 front conversion from Vorsteiner, I would go this route now. I am sure its pure plug and play...just get all the right parts and you should be ok.

But, you gotta pay to play.
      03-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
I am pretty sure OEM fenders will fit your car, but only if you also change the front bumper.

What the dealer is telling you is that changing the fenders ONLY will not work, due to stock front bumper not being wide enough.

Had I not done the E92 front conversion from Vorsteiner, I would go this route now. I am sure its pure plug and play...just get all the right parts and you should be ok.

But, you gotta pay to play.
So true. You'd still be facing the problem of the front fenders being wider than the rear fenders though.

Just like the OEM side skirts will fit the E92 with quite a bit of modifications on mounting points, I'm sure the fenders will fit too but how much modifications is required to line them up flush with the car is questionable.
      03-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
lee.minwoo_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Which side of Canada are you in? If you're in Vancouver, you can get away with the M3 in the winter. I wouldn't recommend the M3 in Ontario unless you have a winter car or plan to skip work / school in the storm.
I'm in edmonton, BMW said they are starting production in april, and i have to wait about july or august before i get mine, but my dad got his in last month because it was standard. i can't really drive standard because i lack the experience lol so ill stick to the..DCT//SMG for now lol and i like the paddles..all my bimmers are stored for the winter, the only one i use is the x5 or the Merc. in ontario and them i heard they use alot of salt for winter so there goes all the rust lol but in edmonton we are just afraid of rock chips and thats about it. besidess its a waste toe drive a M3 in the winter!

oh yeah i was looking at the link that was provided from one of the members Kev. thanks kev! lol but i think the fender look is a bit weirder? the shape of the opening is much bigger than the original..even though it pops right on and all, the fitment should be great. but do you know if there is anyway to get a smaller opening for the grille?

(sorry i had to find a quick link and i just took this picture off the M3 of the month, sorry!)

the real compared to the attached image from Dukes Dynamics:

if you can see what im talking about, the opening is bigger so it looks a bit more weird. so do you guys have any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
lee.minwoo_
Rep

ohoh! sorry and i forgot to say that i like how the 335i looks with the aerolip more so i dont really want to replace the M3 bumper with it and all..
-thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Without seeing the back side of the fenders on the M3, I can't tell whether the mounting points on the fender is the same as the regular E92. Since the M3 sideskirts required quite a bit of modifications to the mounting point to fit the regular E92, my guess is that it would take a bit of modification to fit the side fenders. If you don't want to switch the bumpers, you'd have to find someone to sand down the fenders to flow with the stock bumper.

Even if you had all these done, you'd still end up with a weird looking car because of the wide fenders in front and the narrow fenders in the back. That means you'd probably need to widen the rear fenders too. That's going to be a major PITA.

All in all, it's not worth to do the wide fender conversion on the regular E92, too much effort needed. Might as well go for the real deal M3 or get a 911 C4S or Turbo if you want power, status, look, and AWD.
      03-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't know, I kinda want to see someone do the front. I don't think it will looks as weird as it sounds if you leave the rear as is.

As you can see....huge difference in the front. Rear...not as huge. Of course, much better to do both....but I don't know. I would like to see someone do one first....just to see.
      03-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I'll probably end up ordering a front fender just to test it out. However, wifey's not a huge fan on the "hole" (she calls the vent), LOL. Sp, I probably won't completely go through with the conversion. I'm wondering how much it would be and how much hassle do I have to go through for the fender wells too.

I think I'll stick with the DD fenders if needed. I think that looks cleaner than the M3 ones anyways.
      03-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
lee.minwoo_
Rep

lol hole//vent lol yeahhh i think ill try it out and see how it goes.. but the thing is, the back wheel well of e92s are more obviously..smaller looking than the sedan? im not sure if you know what i mean, the e92 just doesnt have much of a flare. if its on a e90 then it might be pulled off but as of the e92.. might look awkward might not, but the wide fender as kev states its "not so wide fenders" lol so ill give it a try and let you guys know how much it'll cost and stuff done all together..althought i dont thinkg DD released it yet..
but thanks for the comparison! i cant waittt lol

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
Bimmerchop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/IR/6MT E46 M3

I know that on the E46 at least, it looked like crap just doing the front fenders. Car looked really awkward and front heavy. Didn't flow at all and the difference was pretty noticeable. Maybe it won't be the same case for the e92

Rich | Euro.Technics | Flickr | Instagram
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
I have a question. There are so many threads about putting M3 parts on your 335 etc. If you want your car to look so much like an M3, why don't you trade your car in, and just buy one ? Am I nuts thinking this ??
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:42 AM   #17
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogy View Post
I have a question. There are so many threads about putting M3 parts on your 335 etc. If you want your car to look so much like an M3, why don't you trade your car in, and just buy one ? Am I nuts thinking this ??

This forum is all about changing your car. People like the flared fender look...why not go for it. It is not that people want to pretend to be M3...they just want their car to look more aggresive. It just so happens that getting M3 parts may be easier than slapping a bunch of bondo on some custom attempt to get fenders flared.

Its kinda like me asking---why get a fully loaded 328 and start modding it with ACS, Hamman parts?? Why not trade it in and get a 335??
      03-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #18
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wouldn't put stuff on my car to make it look like a 335. If that's what I wanted, it would be in my garage today. The parts I have added to my car are aftermarket and widely sold as enhancements. People with 328,335 and m3 buy them and put it on. My car didn't cone with tint either. I wouldn't feel right driving around with a fender that has M badging. There are many nice looking e92s on this site. They didn't need m parts to make their cars look badass. In fact , many look better than a stock M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 01:04 AM   #19
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn't put stuff on my car to make it look like a 335. If that's what I wanted, it would be in my garage today. The parts I have added to my car are aftermarket and widely sold as enhancements. People with 328,335 and m3 buy them and put it on. My car didn't cone with tint either. I wouldn't feel right driving around with a fender that has M badging. There are many nice looking e92s on this site. They didn't need m parts to make their cars look badass. In fact , many look better than a stock M3.
Well...how many stock e92's have you seen with M parts on here?? How many heavily modded M3's have you seen here??? Maybe these would look just as good if not better than anything posted on here. Not fair to compare stock M3 to modded...anything. Compare stock e92 to stock M3...and tell me which one is more badass as you put it.

Modding is a personal choice with taste. I see nothing wrong with swapping parts that fit your car...OEM or aftermarket, as long as they are tastefully done.

This thread is regarding a member with a question about fitment. Your response was basically...trade in your car and buy an M3. That is not what he was asking. So my reply to you was an attempt to show you just how useless and ridiculous your input was to this thread. But I see that it failed.

Move along...complain in some other thread.
      03-31-2008, 01:12 AM   #20
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I agree with MAGMD.

I am so sick and tired of seeing the response "why don't you just go buy an M3". Are you guys actually serious? like you think its that easy? sure, Ill just go find an extra $30 grand and buy an M3. Give me a break.

I agree that there is no harm, or wrong doing in using M parts for your car. They are made by BMW, and have OEM fitment. You can't find that anywhere really, even high quality aftermarket kits still dont fit like OEM parts. Maybe if some company made OEM quality fender flares, steering wheels, trim, etc etc, people would buy them instead of using M parts. Until then, I can say that I would use M parts on my car if thats what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 02:49 AM   #21
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Last time I checked, this is a public forum. Anyone can post their views or opinions on anything they see.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #22
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Last time I checked, this is a public forum. Anyone can post their views or opinions on anything they see.

very very true! and I have no problem with that. My problem is with people who don't help the original post out, instead they invade the thread and post useless comments that don't help anyone. Especially when it is a comment like, "if you want m3 fenders, why not just go buy an M3?" we are talking about $500 fenders here, not spending an extra $30 grand on an M3.
Appreciate 0