E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Movado S.E. Sport or Ebel Classic Sport

View Poll Results: Movado S.E. Sport or Ebel Classic Sport
Movado S.E. Sport (Silver face) 4 80.00%
Abel Classic Sport (black face) 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

06-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
BigHurmJr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M-Sport

Movado S.E. Sport or Ebel Classic Sport

Hey everyone. I like watches just like the next man. This weekend I purchased a Movado S.E. Sport with the silver face. I've always liked the band and the bezel of this watch so I ran across it and purchased it.

However, I was originally looking to get an Ebel since I've never owned one before but since the store didn't have one that I wanted. I've been thinking of returning the Movado for the Ebel Classic Sport because I found it online after the fact.

Both watches are very clean to me and I like them both so I'm not sure if I should keep what I just purchased on Saturday or get the Ebel. I'm looking for a classy looking but not over the top for everyday use that can be worn with almost everything. I have a total of ten watches so I won't be wearing either of these every single day.

Here is the Ebel and Movado for comparison. It would be nice to hear what you guys think or if anyone owns an Ebel that can share some experience with me. I have a previous Movado so I know I like them and are familiar with them currently.
Next year or late this year I'm going to purchase a Tag Heurer Link or at least a Formula 1 but for now one of these will be my purchase for now.

http://www.ebel.com/us/ebel-collecti...t-1216176.html

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P12282585.jpg

Last edited by BigHurmJr; 06-15-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 04:39 AM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Between them, I'd pick the Movado. For me, it's styling is leaps and bounds better.

There's certainly one thing I like about quartz watches (aside from their keeping far better time than mechanicals and being less trouble to own) and that's in most cases, choosing between any two is incredibly simple for me. Look at them, try them both on, like one better, buy it. Done. You just can't beat that when you just want to get a nice watch and get straight on with the business of wearing it and enjoying it.

Nice watch. Enjoy.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
BigHurmJr
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I like the simplicity of the Quartz watches, tried and true.

I wish the Movado would have had the Ebel in the store though so I could have tried it on too.

I appreciate both of the watches styling although they are totally different they both still have the look I am looking for. I've always liked the minimal look of Movados. I know there are better watches out there but the Movados normally fit my taste and personality.

Hoping to see if anyone here owns an Ebel though since I don't know anyone who does.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurmJr View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I like the simplicity of the Quartz watches, tried and true.

I wish the Movado would have had the Ebel in the store though so I could have tried it on too.

I appreciate both of the watches styling although they are totally different they both still have the look I am looking for. I've always liked the minimal look of Movados. I know there are better watches out there but the Movados normally fit my taste and personality.

Hoping to see if anyone here owns an Ebel though since I don't know anyone who does.
IMO, if a watch doesn't do that completely, there's no point in buying it, no matter how "good" it is supposed to be.

This guy -- http://forums.watchuseek.com/member.php?u=173874 -- is a dyed in the wool Ebel fan. I'm sure he can tell you anything you want to know about Ebel. Unlike him, the only Ebel I have any awareness of is the Ebel Classic.

If you seek general Ebel info, you may find this helpful:
All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
BigHurmJr
Private
Rep

Wow. Thanks for the links and tips. I definitely need to join a watch forum too if I'm gonna start this journey in horology. This is way more information than I was able to find on my own. Now I have a lot more knowledge on Ebela as a company and they have a stronger history than I thought.

After careful consideration, your feedback and my gut I've decided to stick with my S.E. since I'm partial to Movado in the first place. Thanks for the tips and I will definitely look forward to seeing your posts in the future. Maybe you'll have some great suggestions when I start seriously looking at the Tag Heuer Link at the end of the year.

Oh and great name you have there, my name is Tony as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurmJr View Post
Wow. Thanks for the links and tips. I definitely need to join a watch forum too if I'm gonna start this journey in horology. This is way more information than I was able to find on my own. Now I have a lot more knowledge on Ebela as a company and they have a stronger history than I thought.

After careful consideration, your feedback and my gut I've decided to stick with my S.E. since I'm partial to Movado in the first place. Thanks for the tips and I will definitely look forward to seeing your posts in the future. Maybe you'll have some great suggestions when I start seriously looking at the Tag Heuer Link at the end of the year.

Oh and great name you have there, my name is Tony as well.
You're welcome. Glad to have been found helpful.

I believe each of the sites that have the Ebel info will also have similar info re: Movado, along with myriad other makers.

All the best.

P.S./Edit:
If you are sincere about beginning the journey of a watch collector, I strongly suggest you read several scholarly books about watches and watchmaking before joining a forum. Forums are nice, but overwhelmingly they are populated more with honest consumers, "show offs" and "look at what I got" types than they are with sincere collectors. They can be often entertaining, and occasionally informative, but diving straight into them when one isn't savvy to watches beforehand will do little but lengthen one's learning curve.

The first book I'd suggest you check out of the library is The History Of Watches by David Thompson. If you don't want start with a "proper" book, then go straight to Timezone's archive section and read the FAQ (http://www.timezone.com/2003/10/04/m...cal-watch-faq/) before anything else. Next read all of Walt Odets' articles (http://people.timezone.com/library/horologium). After that, read the rest of the Archives. (http://people.timezone.com/library/archives)

As you are reading various articles, make sure to take trips to your local sellers' (both new watch sellers and used/vintage watch sellers) and look at, ask questions about and try on the watches you are reading about, or try on watches that are as near to them as you can get. Folks who work on watches are generally quite willing to share all sorts of info with you, so much do they love watches that your just letting them know you are only recently embarking on the "journey" will be more than enough cause for them to chat with you at length. Many are the times I can recall being in a watch shop and having no money to spend that day and chatting for over an hour with a watchmaker/repairman or knowledgeable salesperson. Often enough, when a potentially money spending customer would come in, they'd even say "wait here and let me see if this guy/lady is really buying or just looking." They'd have to deal with a money spender, but if they sensed the person was just a status seeking "lookey Lou," they'd hustle them through the process and we'd resume our chat.

Personally, I'd also suggest steering clear of anyone who willingly or proudly calls themselves a "WIS." The acronym stands for "watch idiot savant." In my experience, the middle word is very applicable, but the final one isn't, and as often as not, not just re: horology and related topics. LOL

All the best.

Last edited by tony20009; 06-16-2015 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0