E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CANbus in Southern Hemisphere - Review

04-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Thumbs up CANbus in Southern Hemisphere - Review

Okay so I was lucky to be on the early beta program for CANbus on the N54 platform - thanks Shiv for allowing me to be part of this.

Background I've been running since V1.47 when the car was new; mods wise the car has 2nd cat delete with free flowing exhaust, Ingen Intake, Forge DV, RR catch can, Quaife LSD and PSS9 coilovers. RR catted DP's are waiting for installation in my garage. Oh and I'm an AT if that matters.

I've had no real issues with the tune in the time I've been using it and have traveled 35,000 klms tuned. 2 issues the the car, one HPFP and a vano cam sensor (or something to that effect) -> Neither of these were due to the tune!!

So in short I've been running the new harness for several weeks without issue while the programming got sorted out by men with much better brain power than mine .

Shiv emailed me the 107 firmware last week while I was at a track day but i had some issues with it loading, I think it was probably something to do with my Macbook pro and the emulation software. Anyway finally got the 108 firmware loaded last night.

I re-installed the RevII this arvo and fired the beast up. All good so I turned the car off and induced some codes by a method I'll not disclose as it probably isn't the brightest thing for users to do on purpose, but codes were needed to ensure the primary CANbus functionality was working so codes were generated.

Rechecked the method of 'procede code clearing' with a quick call to one of the 'men with better brains than I' and jumped back into the car. Did the code clearing accelerator pedal method and started to drive home. No issues except I could not get the map changing flash to occur when pressing the remote buttons.

Another quick call to one of "the men with better brains than I" and it was thought that my remote batteries might be flat. So i grabbed the spare fob and yipee the double flash on the dash occurred

Once home I attached the BT cable and codes were all gone, not a single one was there. Given my method of 'inducing codes' in earlier testing generated 15+ it's a sure sign the CANbus clearing was working via the procede.

So in summary both code clearing and map indication functions work 100% in the southern hemisphere.

In terms of the latest user maps I was honestly stunned with the difference, and I was pretty damn happy when torque targeting maps were released.

Most of my drive home was on map 1 with UT at 80% due to the remote battery issue I had and I felt it was better than the earlier maps at 90%. But when I changed to map 2 with UT at 90% the low end torque pulls like no other iteration of the procede tunes I have ever tried.

I need to do some datalogging to check boost levels etc but in the meantime well done to the 'men with better brains than I' at Vishnu as you make the N54 driving experience better each time you improve the tune.

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Whoo hooo! Glad you're sorted out. Bummer about the battery in one of your remote control key fobs. Should be easy enough to replace though. However, soon the remote control keyfob/relay box will be a thing of the past as we are going to use a button on the dash to toggle through maps.

And that will effectively free up that expansion port in the harness for.... yes, you guessed it, METHANOL map triggering. See, there was a reason we wanted to do the CANbus stuff before coming out with the methanol goodies.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Whoo hooo! Glad you're sorted out. Bummer about the battery in one of your remote control key fobs. Should be easy enough to replace though. However, soon the remote control keyfob/relay box will be a thing of the past as we are going to use a button on the dash to toggle through maps.

And that will effectively free up that expansion port in the harness for.... yes, you guessed it, METHANOL map triggering. See, there was a reason we wanted to do the CANbus stuff before coming out with the methanol goodies.

Shiv
Yeah the battery in the fob was bit of a bugger as the light on the fob was still lighting up as normal.

Look forward to the dash button & how that works, but really want to see boost on the display first.

O/T: sent you an email, pls respond re the customer question.

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Yeah the battery in the fob was bit of a bugger as the light on the fob was still lighting up as normal.

Look forward to the dash button & how that works, but really want to see boost on the display first.
That's going to come later as there is a lot more work involved in that. Just want to get the methanol stuff done first.

Quote:
O/T: sent you an email, pls respond re the customer question.
Both you and he have email

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Shiv
Thanks, I'm sure he will be very happy.

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
That's going to come later as there is a lot more work involved in that. Just want to get the methanol stuff done first.

Shiv
which will come later, the boost display or the map switch? sounded like replacing the keyfob with canbus map switching had to happen before meth injection?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
which will come later, the boost display or the map switch? sounded like replacing the keyfob with canbus map switching had to happen before meth injection?
Boost display with come after the mapswitch. The mapswitch will come along with DME data reading/logging since they are related as far as programming goes. But the next thing to come, in the next few days, is code reading.

And yes, we needed to introduce CANbus based map switching before methanol injection.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

so is the new found power on the latest canbus maps just via the ability to effectively "hide" codes by clearing them the second they are generated? or is something else actually going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Does this mean that if Methanol is in our foreseeable future, we need RevII?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Nice.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
But the next thing to come, in the next few days, is code reading.

Shiv
Really pumped about code reading! Boost display, too!
      04-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

Quote:

Shiv
Shiv, what will that do for Rev I?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
However, soon the remote control keyfob/relay box will be a thing of the past as we are going to use a button on the dash to toggle through maps.

Shiv
Good work Shiv!!!

So, will this allow us to select "Valet" mode as one of the maps and be able to switch to it on the fly rather than having to restart the car to gain access to it??

Also, will you make map switching persistent so the Procede remembers what map you selected when you previously drove the car???

These are two things I would love to see added in, now that we will be alerted to what map we are in, via the dash's flashing light.
Appreciate 0