E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > F30 Review

04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
RD335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Saloon

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
F30 Review

Quick review of an F30.

So Braman lent me a 2013 328i as a loaner car while my 2011 335 was being serviced. I have to say that I was highly impressed with the amount of power that the turbo 4-banger put out.

On the other hand, I didn't care too much for the interior. Mainly the driver's door handle. It is solid, and protrudes out and irritates the side of my left knee when I put my leg up and my left foot flat on the floor. My 2011 has no such handle and the door grip is built into the arm rest. Much more comfortable for me.

The car had a lot of gadgets that I wasn't used to, but some might like. Like the 5 different settings for the car: Sport +; Sport; (forgot); Comfort and Eco Pro.

Speaking of Eco - I could not get used to the car's engine automatically turning off and restarting at every intersection. For the 4 days that I had the car, I decided that rather than turn this feature off, I would try it and see if I got used to it. Nope. Couldn't learn to love that feature. Was too distracting in traffic.

Comfort access. The other (non-BMW) cars I have driven with their version of comfort access have a small button on the driver's door handle so that you can unlock the car without removing the fob from your pocket. With this system (and someone can correct me if I incorrectly describe it, or don't know enough about it), You had to remove the fob from your pocket and press the button to unlock the car. Then you got in the car. Then you realized you were in a sitting position and then had to wrangle the fob back into your pants pocket while seated, lest you put it in the drink holder and forget about it when you exited the car. BMW should put a small button on the outside to unlock the car so that the fob can remain in your pocket or ladies purse the whole time.

No comment on the sport seats, but they are not for me. Mainly because I'm not skinny and when adjusted to their widest, they still weren't as comfortable as they could have been for me. Your mileage may vary.

Again, the power output of the 4cyl turbo was amazing!

Great car, but I think I'm more of an e90 fan than an F30 fan.

-RD
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Thanks, just had a loaner F30 myself. I agree with much of what you said here.

Pros: good acceleration, smooth auto transmission, fantastic gas mileage in ECO mode (I achieved 42mpg over a 20 mile highway stretch.

Cons: interior styling not good, exterior styling not good. Too much body roll, even in sport mode. Steering feel not as good as an E90.

Overall, driving dynamics felt like a fast Buick (older Buick at that). To be fair, car was not a sport line. Think I will stick with my slower E90.
Appreciate 0