E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E92 K+DCAN Connection error in INPA

12-05-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
Bantum Draper
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

E92 K+DCAN Connection error in INPA

Hey all, this is my first post and I did some searching but couldn't find the answer. I'm a newbie to INPA, NCS Tools and Tool.32 but watched multiple videos on YouTube etc. I'm running Win11 and installed the software with no problem watching the video and using the standard K+DCAN $20 cable (Amazon) with the dipswitch all the way to the right. When I open INPA I get both black light solid in 2 button push accessory mode on the car. I select "E90" , "Body", "FRM Model FRM_87" and get this error message then accessory mode shuts off "FRM_87/V003.x not found" "Control Unit Found: FRM_70" "Program will be stopped!" and the accessory mode on my car E92 shuts off. I'm sure I missing something stupid. Like I said first time using this site/software, sorry in advance . I replaced the modules and bulbs on my passenger side head light (Dynamic Xenon) after it went dead and know I have to recode them in the FRM. I used a simple troubleshooting device to read the codes first (ThinkDiag) but it doesn't do anything for programming components just pulls codes. I'm using INPA 5.0.6 NFS 5.2.9/5.3.1/4.31.1 Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #2
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

"Control Unit Found: FRM_70" sounds like you need to select a different INPA script from the "Body" menu items, not "FRM Model FRM_87". Perhaps there is a "FRM Model FRM_70" if not, you need add the menu item to select the proper SGBD* file by doing the following:

Check out the following thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027863
Post #12, quoted below for your convenience.

(Open the E90.GER and E90.ENG files mentioned below in notepad and add the "Entry =... 07)," as mentioned, including the comma at the end, then save the files. In INPA this entry will appear, select it and it should connect.)

"Ok, I know what is wrong, open your
C:\EC-APPS\INPA\BIN\E90.GER and E90.ENG
[or C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT\E90.ENG (and E90.GER if present to be thorough)]<-Bimmergeeks INPA installation

in [ROOT_KAROSSERIE] section add:

ENTRY= FRM_70,Footwell Module Driver II (FRM_70, from 03/07),

save a file and check in INPA, now it should connect.
"

Cheers....

*Note:
Selection of a script such as "FRM Model FRM_87" calls the SGBD(Steuer Gerät Beschreibung Datei, or Control Device Description File) file "FRM_87.prg"(C:\EDIABAS\ECU). But you need to (be able to) select the SGBD file "FRM_70.prg"(C:\EDIABAS\ECU). As long as SP-daten were updated using BMW Coding Tool, then the SGBD files are all likely in their respective folders, but often times INPA depending on the source will have certain scripts missing in their "menus", and in such cases, you can look up in INPA F2/Ident.("Identification") which lists all ECUs in the car, yours would show up in the list as FRM_70 in FRM(row) x SGBD(column), and so the script menu text should refer to this SGBD file to be called upon in INPA.

The text between the two commas of the entry are just description text for the user so it could just as well be "my Foot", while the "ENTRY = FRM_70," portion is the portion that calls the FRM_70.prg SGBD file(C:\EDIABAS\ECU) for EDIABAS to reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by tinkerman; 12-05-2023 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0