E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Some shop out in the states somewhere (very vague, haha) did this for the M3 guys and it was the same deal...

I believe they changed the packing/insulating and replaced the perforated pipe with a straight pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Okay after seeing pictures of the insides of the mufflers in the first link below I think I want to try this. The right side muffler has 2 pipes with holes, and the left has 2 but has a mini cat. So do I leave the mini cat or cut that out too?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250659

In the video where they did it to the M3 exhaust they only welded one pipe on each side but they didnt open up the whole thing... Post 22. But from what I found the other pipes on the outside part they didnt cut open were solid to begin no holes at all.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593524

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609687

My girlfriend is a pretty good welder and she has one so wtf lets give it a try right? Quick question tho would stock mufflers from a e90 fit my e92? My friend has the PE with his old mufflers laying around that I could possibly that do the mod then fit to my car. Or I could drop the whole exhaust and drive around with nothing lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #25
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
I just replied in the above topic to see if that member can provide some further insight. It looks like there is a Y-pipe connection at the end of the resonator. If that resonator could be cut and made into a straight pipe, I can almost guarantee that would amplify sound. Or, you can cut the mid pipe that connects the mufflers, but it seems that might cause chocking if you have the flap still and aren't running golf-t mod or canflap open on a JB4.

We need some more experts to chime in on this, but it looks like we're going to crack this soon and PE sales will be Nil in the near future lol
Please keep in mind the PE does not make use of a flapper, so you might be on to something.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
Jubrew32
Rep
Drives: White e92 6mt

What is PE?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #27
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

PE=Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #28
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
did anybody do that mod yet and would share their opinion on the outcome and sound?
      09-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #29
mrquick68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S4/2015 X5 35d M

i can't believe no one has made a comment on the M3 exhaust in that video. Pure sex! Man, i wish i could have FBO N54 power w/ M3 top end and M3 exhaust sounds! Is that wishing too much!?
1993 Porsche RS America - Polar Silver on Black - 229 of 701. Motion Control Coilovers - BBS LMs - 993TT Big Brakes - Roll bar - Recaro Sportster CS's - Golden Rod/Rothsport SSK - Full Race Billy Boat Exhaust - ERP camber kit
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #30
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquick68
i can't believe no one has made a comment on the M3 exhaust in that video. Pure sex! Man, i wish i could have FBO N54 power w/ M3 top end and M3 exhaust sounds! Is that wishing too much!?
I wish I had a girlfriend that could weld.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
did anybody do that mod yet and would share their opinion on the outcome and sound?
Im doing to do it soon, i just want some opinions. Should i replace all the perforated pipes, just the inners, all and the weird little cat thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
Im doing to do it soon, i just want some opinions. Should i replace all the perforated pipes, just the inners, all and the weird little cat thing.
First, make sure you'll take pictures of every step... I wanna see exactly how its done... If you can of course.

Second, I would replace perforated pipes but I would leave some holes in them so there is some muffled sound and its not a straight muffler delete and I would also leave cat as well... Also someone on here said that removing the wool material from inside the muffler box would help the sound.. I would try to reduce the amount of it in there..
I wonder when you are in the process of doing it you can somehow rig the muffler closed and temporarily put it back on your car so you can check the sound before you weld it all shut and put it back on....that would be the best to get the exact sound anybody's looking for...right
      09-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #33
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Okay after seeing pictures of the insides of the mufflers in the first link below I think I want to try this. The right side muffler has 2 pipes with holes, and the left has 2 but has a mini cat. So do I leave the mini cat or cut that out too?
In the video where they did it to the M3 exhaust they only welded one pipe on each side but they didnt open up the whole thing... Post 22. But from what I found the other pipes on the outside part they didnt cut open were solid to begin no holes at all.

My girlfriend is a pretty good welder and she has one so wtf lets give it a try right? Quick question tho would stock mufflers from a e90 fit my e92? My friend has the PE with his old mufflers laying around that I could possibly that do the mod then fit to my car. Or I could drop the whole exhaust and drive around with nothing lol.
You can put the e90 mufflers onto an e92. The tips might be a bit recessed so take care of that while aligning things before installing it.

I was too lazy to read what's going on in this thread, but I recall the M3's had a setup where it was basically a muffler bypass that still maintained the helmholtz section to combat drone, something leads me to believe the PE could be a similar setup, but with a perforated section and a tiny bit of packing material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
I wish I had a girlfriend that could weld.
LOL I thought I was the only weirdo who was thinking this while reading that post

If I did I would even have her cut open my PE for you guys haha.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #34
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

After seeing the photos, I think only the resonator on the left exhaust should be cut and replaced with a straight pipe.

For both exhaust pieces, lessen the amount of filler to maybe 50%, they are there to reduce heat in the trunk and reduce vibrations.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #35
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Im going to get a video scope from my friend and check out my buddies PE with it and see if I can gather some info. I talked to my friend who works on cars a lot and he thinks that mini cat thing should be straight pipes as well as the piece on the other side and less filler material. Hopefully we will be able to see something with the scope. Updates to follow when everyone gets back from Mpact
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #36
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

If someone will donate their oem mufflers in Vegas, I'll try it and document everything with pics and sound clips. Im very interested in trying this but want to have a spare just in case.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bump, someone please try this, Im very interested in the final product! I would do it, but cant weld and dont have any spare mufflers
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335
Bump, someone please try this, Im very interested in the final product! I would do it, but cant weld and dont have any spare mufflers
I'm getting a set of donated mufflers hopefully next week and starting the process. I just got a snap on video probe to check out the pipes on my friends PE this weekend. Once I get my research done I'll be welding in new pipes. I'll keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #39
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335
I'm getting a set of donated mufflers hopefully next week and starting the process. I just got a snap on video probe to check out the pipes on my friends PE this weekend. Once I get my research done I'll be welding in new pipes. I'll keep everyone updated.
Thanks!!
Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #40
kagraham
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

This may be way off base, but is my only experience with modifying stock mufflers!

Before I turned 16 I had a Go-ped, a scooter powered by a 25cc 2-stroke weed-eater engine. Of course I began to modify it, and the first thing to go was the "floss" insulation that was in the tin-can muffler (made the scooter louder and supposedly added some sort of performance...who-knows)

Obviously the differences in application might be more than the similarities, but that insulation definately decreased the volume, and raspiness!

I'm really glad you're willing to begin some experiments. My scientific mind says, change one thing at a time so we can determine exactly what needs to be done, no more no less.

I would remove some insulation, leave the existing perforations and see what you get. If indeed that is a cat, I suspect it would be best to make the left and right symetrical.

Best,

- Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
First, make sure you'll take pictures of every step... I wanna see exactly how its done... If you can of course.

Second, I would replace perforated pipes but I would leave some holes in them so there is some muffled sound and its not a straight muffler delete and I would also leave cat as well... Also someone on here said that removing the wool material from inside the muffler box would help the sound.. I would try to reduce the amount of it in there..
I wonder when you are in the process of doing it you can somehow rig the muffler closed and temporarily put it back on your car so you can check the sound before you weld it all shut and put it back on....that would be the best to get the exact sound anybody's looking for...right
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #41
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagraham View Post
This may be way off base, but is my only experience with modifying stock mufflers!

Before I turned 16 I had a Go-ped, a scooter powered by a 25cc 2-stroke weed-eater engine. Of course I began to modify it, and the first thing to go was the "floss" insulation that was in the tin-can muffler (made the scooter louder and supposedly added some sort of performance...who-knows)

Obviously the differences in application might be more than the similarities, but that insulation definately decreased the volume, and raspiness!

I'm really glad you're willing to begin some experiments. My scientific mind says, change one thing at a time so we can determine exactly what needs to be done, no more no less.

I would remove some insulation, leave the existing perforations and see what you get. If indeed that is a cat, I suspect it would be best to make the left and right symetrical.

Best,

- Karl

Makes perfect sense, I never messed with exhaust to be honest with you so I'm going to leave it up to you... I'll just might start with some down pipes... maybe that will make it sound deeper...
      09-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

here is a video of this done on a 335, ACM in NJ does this mod for $500 I believe.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #43
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post

here is a video of this done on a 335, ACM in NJ does this mod for $500 I believe.
I wonder what they modified inside to make it like that hmmm..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #44
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Thanks for stepping up to the plate. Hopefully the videoprobe can be of some use!