E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tunes, Meth Controller, Failsafe systems...

10-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Tunes, Meth Controller, Failsafe systems...

Its impoartant when you decide to add Methanol injection to your tuned car that you know which kits will work together to keep you from trashing your motor.

Just a quick overview.... Your tune allows you to add boost and fuel, Your Progressive kit allows you to incorperate methanol to supplament your octane requirements, Your failsafe tells your tune to dial down the boost when there is a problem with your meth flow. Running boost with a meth flow problem is a formula for disaster.

I am getting ready to add a failsafe to my meth kit and I am concerned that my current tune will not integrate with the failsafe for my controller. Also the only failsafe that works with my tune will not work with my controller either. Recently, one of the more respected tuners made an example of me and my set up explaining that in order to run a standard race map that a failsafe is required. I want to make sure that as I move forward with my tuning endevors that I am cetrain that I have a tune that integrates well with my controller and my failsafe.

Does the CP-e Stand Back have a built in controller and failsafe? just add pump and nozzles?

How about the Procede? Isn't that a complete system that intigrates meth and nos as well? I see they have labonte boxes in their set up.... do they require seperate controllers and failsafes or are they built in?

I know on my JB3 that i have a meth screen on the interface but that only works with Cooling Mist contorller and failsafe. Unless you have a CM System this is useless and very misleading.

GIAC?

Dinan?

Xcede?

It would be nice to hear from some end users on which Tunes, Meth, & Failsafes have integrated well together. Also, any info regarding a set up which included a failsafe that resulted in a catastrophic melt down despite the $ someone spent to help keep this from happening.
      10-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The JB3 G3 requires a flow sensor based safety capable of taking in a programmable window and sending a signal out when meth is within that window. The MIN flow needs to be the minimum allowable for your boost/mapping. So say for 18psi then around 800ml/min. The MAX needs to be set high enough to catch a line breakage or major leak so around 1500ml/min. The JB3 can take a 0-5v signal or 0-12v signal (using a resistor inline). The only flow sensor/controller that can do this I know of is the CM VC2 and CMGS system.

The upcoming JB3 G4 takes in a 0-5v analog input and requires a meth controller that outputs a voltage proportional to methanol flow. You then setup the min/max window within the JB3 interface itself. In addition the G4 has a frequency output that can be used to drive the controller rather than having to route a vacuum line all the way to
the trunk. Makes for much faster meth spool up and the ability to have the JB3 turn the meth on/off with a simple map switch. Not to mention inject on demand maximizing meth economy. Again fully compatible with the VC2/CMGS but probably works with some other systems as well. Although the VC2/CMGS outputs 0-5v instead of 0-.6v so you get better flow resolution with it.

The upcoming JB3 PRO board has a much of other stuff but its not finalized so can't really discuss yet.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Guth310
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E92 quickly

^ Man, I can't wait for this!!
JB4w/BEF/AlpinaTransFlash/DCI/CPw/BOV/CGMS Meth/3.5bar TMAP/BT Intercooler/Silicone Inlets/Al Outlets/RB External PCV w/2 OCCs/Plugged Heads/Index 12s/3''DPs/Electric Cutouts/MFactory LSD/Coilovers/Spacers/LUX Angels/Android CCC Upgrade/19''M405s 235/275/Wrapped Matte White
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post

How about the Procede? Isn't that a complete system that intigrates meth and nos as well? I see they have labonte boxes in their set up.... do they require seperate controllers and failsafes or are they built in?
The Procede is the only available system on the market with full progressive methanol mapping support, autotuning, can based feedforward boost control (patents pending). Any additional controller and failsafe is required at this time. As for the failsafe, any unit that outputs a analog 0-5v flow signal can be used. All you do is input the voltage that equates to full flow/pressure and the Procede will progressively make the tune more or less aggressive as a function of meth flow. Any progressive controller can be used as well. We just settled on Labonte electronics since we found them to be more robust than other brands. You'd be shocked at how frequent meth controller failure is with some brands.

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 10-17-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Edited just for Mike.
Appreciate 0