E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do you regret buying a 6AT sometimes.

05-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #243
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

I think manual drivers are less tempted to text while driving and have better awareness because you need to always be gear changing in normal traffic situations. On the highway with cruise control its all the same risk I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #244
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I think manual drivers are less tempted to text while driving and have better awareness because you need to always be gear changing in normal traffic situations. On the highway with cruise control its all the same risk I reckon.
I think you are either an attentive driver or you are not and the type of transmission or other technology that you have in the car is irrelevant. If you need to be shifting an MT in order to be attentive you probably should not be on the road.

The example that I always give in response to posts of this type is the example of driving in Route 75 (AKA Alligator Alley) which runs from Pembroke Pines, Florida, across the Everglades to Naples, Florida. It is a perfectly flat, perfectly straight road. In an MT you are almost always in top gear for about 100 miles and 1.5 hours. It is easily possible to do the entire dirve without a single gear change. The same scenario applies to a great deal of driving on high speed interstates. You are generally cruising at a steady speed and are rarely changing gears.

I will reiterate, you are either an attentive driver who is paying attention to surroundings and practicing situational awareness or you aren't.

To get back on topic. I have never regretted buying an MT and I have never regretted buing an AT. I research my car purposes very carefully before I spend my money.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-28-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #245
rusn007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

My first car was a manual Supra. I had it for a couple of years and at that time - I couldn't understand how can one drive a "sporty" (not even fast) car with an automatic. I gave all my friends a hard time when they had automatics in their integras... lol

now I drive an automatic - why? 1)LA traffic 2)I need a designated driver to take me home and most girls don't drive stick

do I miss having a manual - yes, when it is a nice sunday morning and I'm driving down PCH or when there is no traffic and I'm driving down canyons. but other than that, I'm fine with an auto...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #246
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by canusaybimmy View Post
6MT here...no regrets whatsoever. However I'm not stuck in traffic all day everyday. Not sure if that would change my mind. Can't see myself driving Auto anymore.
I drove manuals when I worked in DC and when I worked in NYC. Rush hour traffic is awful, MT or automatic, it doesn't matter. I think it's the traffic that's tiring, not the car's transmission.

True, a well-driven DCT might be faster, but a commercial flight is even faster than DCT, and less involving.

Even if 100% of new cars sold in the US are 2-speed (forward and back) electrics, there are enough garage queen pre-OBD II sports cars around to keep me in nearly-NOS cars for the rest of my days. Less demand = lower prices.

I'll give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold, dead hand.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #247
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

sometimes i do. most of my time is in the city so makes sense. got me some flappy paddles so enjoy like that.

oem blacklines, m3 rep front. waiting for install oem m3 sides... coming soon. csl trunk mtech rear and more.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #248
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusn007 View Post
My first car was a manual Supra. I had it for a couple of years and at that time - I couldn't understand how can one drive a "sporty" (not even fast) car with an automatic. I gave all my friends a hard time when they had automatics in their integras... lol

now I drive an automatic - why? 1)LA traffic 2)I need a designated driver to take me home and most girls don't drive stick

do I miss having a manual - yes, when it is a nice sunday morning and I'm driving down PCH or when there is no traffic and I'm driving down canyons. but other than that, I'm fine with an auto...
Keep in mind that there have have been massive improvements in ATs since the Supra era. I probably would not have gotten an AT in a Supra and as a matter of fact had an MT in my 1992 Lexus SC300.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #249
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think you are either an attentive driver or you are not and the type of transmission or other technology that you have in the car is irrelevant. If you need to be shifting an MT in order to be attentive you probably should not be on the road.

The example that I always give in response to posts of this type is the example of driving in Route 75 (AKA Alligator Alley) which runs from Pembroke Pines, Florida, across the Everglades to Naples, Florida. It is a perfectly flat, perfectly straight road. In an MT you are almost always in top gear for about 100 miles and 1.5 hours. It is easily possible to do the entire dirve without a single gear change. The same scenario applies to a great deal of driving on high speed interstates. You are generally cruising at a steady speed and are rarely changing gears.

I will reiterate, you are either an attentive driver who is paying attention to surroundings and practicing situational awareness or you aren't.

To get back on topic. I have never regretted buying an MT and I have never regretted buing an AT. I research my car purposes very carefully before I spend my money.

CA
Certainly an incorrect statement. Troll harder ^^
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #250
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
Certainly an incorrect statement. Troll harder ^^
Certainly an unprovoked and inappropriate response.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-29-2013 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:57 AM   #251
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
There is an obvious disconnection with the car having an AT. On long drives I feel like the car drives me, not me driving the car. I definitely regret not getting a MT. The paddle shifters are absolute shit, sorry if I offended anyone. The newer models got it right: downshift and upshift paddles should be separated. When I do try and use the paddles I find myself only using the right side. If I shift manually I just use the boot.

Choosing an AT came down to the fact that there is a larger abundance of used ATs than MTs, which means better options, and much cheaper prices. Sad that BMW doesn't reduce MSRP of a new car and charge more for AT.
As a track car, it would be more ideal to have seperated up and down shifts. But for daily driving, I like the ability of doing both with one hand.

I have been driving my gf car for a little while now, and I thought I missed manual... BUT I never realized how bad traffic has recently got, as well as tiring when driving a manual. It has been too long since I drove a manual daily!!!!
I can be stuck in traffic for hours in my Bimmer, get out and not feel tht bad.

Definitely a Win/Lose situation
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #252
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
So after driving a MT wrx for a few years, I bought a dsg 2008 audi tt. The DSG was fun for about a week but I found that I just kept taking out the wrx everyday. Since then, I've never looked back and went all manual for rest of my cars.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0