E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Newbie..question on power supply and such

06-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

Newbie..question on power supply and such

EDIT: Thread may be closed. I got everything working and have successfully coded about 7 different functions tonight. Currently researching what else I'd like to change. This is too much fun!

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Hey everybody, I'm new to coding, but have been a "lurker" on here and other bmw coding forums for the past few months. I've searched but there is little info on PSU's for coding. Hoping somebody here can help me.

I went out into my garage last night to attempt to connect to my 2007 328xi coupe for the first time with the k+dcan cable (I got the recommended one from onestopelectronics). I was under the impression I had everything I needed to get started, as the stickies indicate you only need a laptop with the pertinent software and the cable. However, it appears I need a steady 13.8V (70amp) power supply as well to code an e9x? What confuses me is all of the guys offering remote coding services don't mention anything about needing a power supply hooked to the vehicle to code it remotely. Is it not needed when changing a line or two of code and only needed when programming entire modules? Secondly, if it IS needed, what are some cost effective units you guys have used with success? I'd rather pick up a car charger that will deliver "steady enough" voltage that will meet ripple requirements rather than a power supply that costs $300-$400+, especially when I only plan on coding my own vehicle on a very limited basis (1-2 time use unless I get comfortable enough to code friends cars).

Secondly, I followed the instructions to a T in regards to installing the cable drivers and software, but I have no connectivity to my car (neither black dot lights up in INPA). I found some info regarding an obd.ini file that may need to be copied to two separate locations on the computer, and am looking into that as I type this. In the meantime, do you guys have any other suggestions of what else I should look into? I switched the port to Com1 in the device manager after installation of the drivers, and it let me change it even though Com1 was already in use, so I'm not sure if that means anything.

Admittedly, I'm an electrical engineer, but not a computer/software guy and have very little experience in this area. My expertise is in analog and rf/microwave design. However, I work for an aerospace company and have programmed engine controllers for airplanes with greater ease than this! Appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Last edited by bhmax16; 06-30-2013 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Solved
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
Hey everybody, I'm new to coding, but have been a "lurker" on here and other bmw coding forums for the past few months. I've searched but there is little info on PSU's for coding. Hoping somebody here can help me.

I went out into my garage last night to attempt to connect to my 2007 328xi coupe for the first time with the k+dcan cable (I got the recommended one from onestopelectronics). I was under the impression I had everything I needed to get started, as the stickies indicate you only need a laptop with the pertinent software and the cable. However, it appears I need a steady 13.8V (70amp) power supply as well to code an e9x? What confuses me is all of the guys offering remote coding services don't mention anything about needing a power supply hooked to the vehicle to code it remotely. Is it not needed when changing a line or two of code and only needed when programming entire modules? Secondly, if it IS needed, what are some cost effective units you guys have used with success? I'd rather pick up a car charger that will deliver "steady enough" voltage that will meet ripple requirements rather than a power supply that costs $300-$400+, especially when I only plan on coding my own vehicle on a very limited basis (1-2 time use unless I get comfortable enough to code friends cars).

Secondly, I followed the instructions to a T in regards to installing the cable drivers and software, but I have no connectivity to my car (neither black dot lights up in INPA). I found some info regarding an obd.ini file that may need to be copied to two separate locations on the computer, and am looking into that as I type this. In the meantime, do you guys have any other suggestions of what else I should look into? I switched the port to Com1 in the device manager after installation of the drivers, and it let me change it even though Com1 was already in use, so I'm not sure if that means anything.

Admittedly, I'm an electrical engineer, but not a computer/software guy and have very little experience in this area. My expertise is in analog and rf/microwave design. However, I work for an aerospace company and have programmed engine controllers for airplanes with greater ease than this! Appreciate any help you guys can offer!
A power supply is required for programming, i.e. reflashing, ECU's.

A power supply is not required simply for coding.

Reflashing is loading completely new software on the ECU and requires a stable power supply.

Coding is simply manipulating existing options in the software and isn't loading anything new.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep

Great news, I saw some youtube videos of some guys coding and they were using power supplies and making sure they were at 13.8 volts, so I wasn't sure. On other forums I saw some guys insist that a power supply was necessary for programming (like you said) but also claim that a good battery charger was necessary for coding, so there seems to be a lot of conflicting information going around. I just want to make sure I'm not going to risk messing anything up if I run just off my vehicle battery when I start doing this (once I resolve my connectivity issues)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep

update regarding connectivity issues... I don't have an obd.ini file in the package I installed. Is this file necessary? I have found a few pdfs that show the contents of the file but they conflict (some are longer than others and contain significantly different content ). What gives? Thanks
Appreciate 0