E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Need help for speeding ticket....please help...

07-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
marian01
Rep
Drives: ford focus

Need help for speeding ticket....please help...

Dear Sir,

I was given a speeding ticket on NJ Turnpike few days ago. I was in the left most lane and was driving at the traffic speed. The cop said i was driving at 83 although i think i might have gone to 82 for 1-2 secs and then around 75 max. Since this was my first violation the officer said that he will give fine of $50 and 4 points. I am more concerned about the points and what them removed. The court is woodbridge NJ. So my queries:

1. Should I plead guilty and ask the prosecutor to reduce the points to 0? I don't how what the prosecutor starts with and how I should respond?

2. Do I need to hire a lawyer to represent me considering its my first offense and fine is low?

Please help as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

When was the last time you had a speeding ticket? If you haven't had one in like 4 years they will drop the points. That's what happened to me when I got caught speeding in like 08.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
phrost
zzzzaaaaannnnggggg
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive sportline

If i get a ticket I just go to the court date and say something like "i know i was wrong but I am worried about the points to have problems for a silly mistake" they like to buy that
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Fight it..u have nothing to lose and always a possibility to win..the cop doesnt show up..screws up his notes..etc
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
GUNN IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sedan E90

Coming from a guy who got a lot of speeding tickets over the years, I can give you following advice.
Plead not guilty, you'll get a court appearance date, before you see the judge you have to see the prosecutor. Most likely you'll have to pay $400 with no points, and being that you've never gotten a speeding ticket before; prosecutor may change the ticket to parking violation. Agree to this only if the ticket was given to you based on catching you on radar/laser.
If you got the ticket while the cop was pacing you (if you were in car lane, most likely that's the case) you can tell the prosecutor that you weren't speeding, and then you'll get a second court date and you can argue about the ticket in judge's and cop's presence, you'll get lucky if the cop doesn't show up (which happened to me twice) and the ticket will be dismissed.
Hiring a lawyer is waste of money in my opinion, you’ll still have to pay $400 with no points and pay lawyer another $400 or so.
If you plead guilty then you’ll automatically not only pay the fine but will get points as well.

Good luck.

P.S. I never drive in truck lane on NJ turn pike, that's where the cops usually hide, and be careful from next time on car lane especially when traffic is merging in, cops on Turn pike hide on the ramp.
      07-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
When was the last time you had a speeding ticket? If you haven't had one in like 4 years they will drop the points. That's what happened to me when I got caught speeding in like 08.
I never had a speeding ticket before.
Last night i read my ticket again and it has the statute "39:4-56". After googling, i found out it means "delaying traffic". How can i be speeding and delaying traffic at the same time???
Also across this statute, it says there is no points, then why did the officer said he is giving me 4 points?

I called the court this morning and told the lady about this. She said probably the officer gave u wrong ticket and said let me forward ur call in the court or somewhere. The guy that comes up, i tell the same story. He said the officer gave u a light ticket and i said yes he said so that since its my first offense he will just fine me $50. I asked that after checking the NJ website it says there should not be any points across this ticket. he said yes, if this is the statute then there should not be any points. He said, if i want to confirm i can call dmv to check for the points.

From his voice, he seemed confident that i should not be getting any points. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrost View Post
If i get a ticket I just go to the court date and say something like "i know i was wrong but I am worried about the points to have problems for a silly mistake" they like to buy that
Yes, i have been thinking that i will go to court for sure. Just with the new response i just posted, what do you think should be my case now?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Fight it..u have nothing to lose and always a possibility to win..the cop doesnt show up..screws up his notes..etc
i will be going to court if there are points on my record. How do i know that i got points? any place where i can verify this?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNN IT View Post
Coming from a guy who got a lot of speeding tickets over the years, I can give you following advice.
Plead not guilty, you'll get a court appearance date, before you see the judge you have to see the prosecutor. Most likely you'll have to pay $400 with no points, and being that you've never gotten a speeding ticket before; prosecutor may change the ticket to parking violation. Agree to this only if the ticket was given to you based on catching you on radar/laser.
If you got the ticket while the cop was pacing you (if you were in car lane, most likely that's the case) you can tell the prosecutor that you weren't speeding, and then you'll get a second court date and you can argue about the ticket in judge's and cop's presence, you'll get lucky if the cop doesn't show up (which happened to me twice) and the ticket will be dismissed.
Hiring a lawyer is waste of money in my opinion, you’ll still have to pay $400 with no points and pay lawyer another $400 or so.
If you plead guilty then you’ll automatically not only pay the fine but will get points as well.

Good luck.

P.S. I never drive in truck lane on NJ turn pike, that's where the cops usually hide, and be careful from next time on car lane especially when traffic is merging in, cops on Turn pike hide on the ramp.

Thats a good advice. Yes, it is my first offense. I never take the truck lane. I myself have seen cops catching so many people in the truck lane when i used to pass from car lane. Probably i thought there is less traffic and i went in. I will say it was my super bad luck considering now the clause i got is "39:4-56" meaning "delaying traffic" and cop saying i was speeding. he said i got 4 points and after verifying from court this morning, they say there are no points across this clause. whom should i believe???
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Tari
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG M4

You can go to the dmv to see how many points you have. I just got a nj ticket the other day I hate the cops out there!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
LeMans335xiE90
+7,033 posts ;)
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 LCI LeMans

go to court talk to prosecutor and ask for a no points ticket (NOTE YOU WILL HAVE A HIGHER FINE HOWEVER NO POINTS)

bam done deal... unless you gave the cop some lip.......
      07-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian01 View Post
i will be going to court if there are points on my record. How do i know that i got points? any place where i can verify this?
For NJ you can get your drivers license abstract online through the NJ MVC

https://emvc.state.nj.us//MVC_DVRAR/AVSStart.jsp
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
GUNN IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sedan E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian01 View Post
Thats a good advice. Yes, it is my first offense. I never take the truck lane. I myself have seen cops catching so many people in the truck lane when i used to pass from car lane. Probably i thought there is less traffic and i went in. I will say it was my super bad luck considering now the clause i got is "39:4-56" meaning "delaying traffic" and cop saying i was speeding. he said i got 4 points and after verifying from court this morning, they say there are no points across this clause. whom should i believe???

Believe what the ticket says.
Your points won't show up intill you are found guilty, so any points or no points will not show on your record at this time as far as this ticket is concerned.
Again, plea NOT guilty and tell the prosecutor that you were going the normal speed limit and got pulled over for "delaying traffic", and just tell him that Cop just handed you the ticket without explaining anything and that he went back to his Patrol car. Ask the prosecutor if it's just $50 and no points, if that's the case just pay the money, not even worth re-appearing in court again to fight it any further.
Good luck man.
      07-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tari View Post
You can go to the dmv to see how many points you have. I just got a nj ticket the other day I hate the cops out there!
Do i have to go to DMV to inquire about the points or i can just inquire over the phone?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans335xiE90 View Post
go to court talk to prosecutor and ask for a no points ticket (NOTE YOU WILL HAVE A HIGHER FINE HOWEVER NO POINTS)

bam done deal... unless you gave the cop some lip.......
This is what i am planning to do in case there are points on my record. Do you think i need a lawyer to do this or I can do myself and defend considering the case?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
For NJ you can get your drivers license abstract online through the NJ MVC

https://emvc.state.nj.us//MVC_DVRAR/AVSStart.jsp
Thanks, it seems i need to get the user ID no and i registered there to receive the user id through post. That is the only option it has so i have to wait 7-10 days to receive this before i can view my driving history.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
marian01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNN IT View Post
Believe what the ticket says.
Your points won't show up intill you are found guilty, so any points or no points will not show on your record at this time as far as this ticket is concerned.
Again, plea NOT guilty and tell the prosecutor that you were going the normal speed limit and got pulled over for "delaying traffic", and just tell him that Cop just handed you the ticket without explaining anything and that he went back to his Patrol car. Ask the prosecutor if it's just $50 and no points, if that's the case just pay the money, not even worth re-appearing in court again to fight it any further.
Good luck man.
Thanks, that is a wise suggestion.
Is it possible that i can go and speak to the prosecutor directly before my actual date at the court comes?
Also, I was able to locate the prosecutor phone number on the woodbridge court website. Would calling them help in any way? If so, what could i inquire?
thanks a lot again for your suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
korr
Captain
Kazakhstan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Garage List
i think you shouldnt contact the prosecutor before your actual court date, since i think its pointless. Just goto court on your date, then talk to your prosecutor, he'll probably make you plead guilty to another charge w/o the points, and you just pay a bigger fine.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #19
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

I received a 100 in a 55 in the same court. The judge was very lenient, and I got it dropped to the 400 dollar 0 point ticket, so with your lesser offense, there shouldn't be much of a problem at all. Just go talk to the prosecutor.

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
marian01
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.
I posted my query on Avvo couple of days ago and laawyers there suggested that i should just pay the fine online and be done with it since based on the 39:4-56 clause i should not have any points. I researched online and i can't see points for this clause.
My ticket does not say that i have to go to court. In fact the tropper said if i want i can pay it online. Its mere $54. I am only concerned and wish that there are no points.
Do you think i should assume there are no points based on this clause and pay it online instead of going to the court?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
andresito360
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo

you will be fine with just paying it. The officer gave you a ticket that carries no points so it will not give you points..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
D335NUTZ
The Blue Beast
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi in Montego Blue

Do they use lasers in NJ? Cuz I've been going into NJ a few times the past week an I just stare at my V1 going around 80 haven't had it go off yet (knocks on wood)

Cobb AP Stage 2+ | BMS DCI | UR Catless DP | UR Chargepipe | Tial BV 50mm | BSH OCC | ETS FMIC | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | KWv1 Coilovers | Volk TE37 TC Kline Ed.
Appreciate 0