E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Software upgrade

04-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Ajsvmax
Drew
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix

Software upgrade

Hello everyone

I have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks. I would like to start by thanking everyone for all the post that have help me get acquainted with my new ride.

The dealer is having an issue which I don't understand why.

When they delivered my car they were unable to upgrade the software for my 335ix. (I still don't have handle on the exx designations). They tried for two days before they delivered the car. At the time of delivery, we scheduled an appointment for me to come back. Well, tomorrow will be the third day they have had the car and they still can't get the software to upgrade. Why would this be such an issue? Has anyone else had an issue such as this? They said the issue with upgrading the software is more prevalent on turbo models.

Before I bought the car they gave me one for the weekend. The one they gave me did not have any lag issues. After I bought mine I noticed it had an issue off line with a slight lag. They have stated that this issue is addressed in the software upgrade they are having problems uploading to my car. The car they gave me for the weekend already had the upgrade. I say, ok I will wait and see, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience such as this in regards to a slight lag being fixed by a software upgrade?

Thank you
Drew Shafer

Last edited by Ajsvmax; 04-12-2011 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Problems while trying to update programming is not all that uncommon on our cars. Sometime a module will fail to update, but in those instances the dealer usually just replaces whichever module is having issues. It is possbile for lag to be fixed by software, but I can't speak personally about the software on the N55. Hopefully they get it all sorted out for you.

To explain the Exx designators....E90 is the sedan, E92 is the coupe, and E93 is the convertible. It refers to the generation of the body style. The 2012 body style is a Fxx designator.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Ajsvmax
Drew
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix

They called today. Their official explanation is that it came from the factory with non standard programming. It keeps throwing a code that indicates the wrong country code or wrong options. They tried to bring it back to factory default, but that failed too. I ask them why they just didn't replace the module, and he said they shouldn't have to. I say replace the unit and they can figure it out on their time

Thanks for your help
Drew
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Yeah that definitely sounds like a them problem, not yours. Hopefully you have a loaner car you can keep and tell them not to call you back until its fixed. Good luck!
Appreciate 0