E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Disturbing Airbag Warning Lamp

04-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #45
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Still waiting on a recall bulletin (or TSB) regarding this... It's crap that the only recall out there is for sports package only...

Regardless, for those feeling a little frustrated with this, I was informed by my tech that the airbags WILL deploy in a front-end collision. It's set on default mode right now, meaning it will not matter whether or not anyone is in the passenger seat; if you crash (god forbid) hard enough that will inadvertantly deploy the airbags, the passenger airbag will go off.
interesting...it just sucks that on the overhead console it does say "passenger airbag OFF" and has an x2 as well...so uhm lol
      04-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #46
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

^ Yea, I was really bugging out about the f*cking "passenger airbag off" on the overhead console, along with the seatbelt and airbag malfunction light on my dash... but after i spoke w/ my bmw tech (who did my transmission, differential, brake fluid flush + more), he was familiar w/ those errors and said the airbags will deploy.

Still, if this bs is covered via recall or TSB, i'd be all over it... if not, the tech said it is a REALLY expensive part to replace... and the airbag error is a result of the seat sensor mat being cracked.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #47
Flakpheiser
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TiAg e90

Quote:
^ Yea, I was really bugging out about the f*cking "passenger airbag off" on the overhead console, along with the seatbelt and airbag malfunction light on my dash... but after i spoke w/ my bmw tech (who did my transmission, differential, brake fluid flush + more), he was familiar w/ those errors and said the airbags will deploy.

Still, if this bs is covered via recall or TSB, i'd be all over it... if not, the tech said it is a REALLY expensive part to replace... and the airbag error is a result of the seat sensor mat being cracked.
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8V384-5007.pdf
and
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8V384-2899.pdf

Enjoi

My dealer told me that there is a known bug after trying to introduce the new mat that will cause your DCT light to come on and stay on. They said "they're working on it".... It's been 2 weeks and I haven't received a call.

Your car should be covered. The pdf explains how they extended the warranty on this part for 10 years post purchase date.

Last edited by Flakpheiser; 04-07-2010 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: adding link
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #48
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakpheiser View Post
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8V384-5007.pdf
and
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8V384-2899.pdf

Enjoi

My dealer told me that there is a known bug after trying to introduce the new mat that will cause your DCT light to come on and stay on. They said "they're working on it".... It's been 2 weeks and I haven't received a call.

Your car should be covered. The pdf explains how they extended the warranty on this part for 10 years post purchase date.
Awesome, thanks!

However, although both PDFs acknowledges the problem, it's only the SPORT SEATS that are covered. Still, I don't see a problem bringing my car into the dealer with this information.

Last edited by SE3P_to_E90; 04-07-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #49
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Heres the deal.... Your dealer can't do the work and get reimbursed by BMWNA for that work if the system isnt saying you qualify. So they would eat the costs or you would have to pay. They have room to do Goodwill repairs but probably won't. Same as going in for an oil change if your car isnt calling for it, they will want to charge you because they wont get reimbursed by BMWNA.

Anyway....Have you talked to BMWNA? Call up there punch buttons to get customer relations and ask to talk to Doug, he just approved my seat sensor last month. Great guy and got it all worked out in a sensible fashion. I had a tear in the seat cover, the dealer was saying that tear broke the sensor, i was saying theres no sensor anywhere in that rip or ever near it. BMWNA has the dealer take the cushion apart, inspect the sensor, it wasnt at all damaged by the tear in the seat so they determined the sensor had failed due to manufacturing defects like others and replaced it for free, while i was out of my warranty. It will be even easier for you to get it done since you dont have a tear.

i have an 06 e90 sedan at 110K miles and had it done under the extended warranty for the sensor failures, even though the car itself is out of warranty. I have the base seats NOT the sport.

BMWNA told me that Sport has the recall, base has an extended 10 year warranty. I can't find the TIS for it though but they did have the dealer fix it. Honestly not sure if they fixed mine because i first reported the light while i was under warranty or if they used the special warranty to do it but either way call up BMWNA and have them run your VIN, then have them fix it under their special warranty on these parts.

Last edited by mike3000fl; 04-07-2010 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #50
Flakpheiser
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TiAg e90

Quote:
Awesome, thanks!

However, although both PDFs acknowledges the problem, it's only the SPORT SEATS that are covered. Still, I don't see a problem bringing my car into the dealer with this information.
This is on page 2 of the PDF:

You should be fine. If the airbag light comes on, it will store the code in your keyfob and since this is considered a recall; I'm fairly sure that they're required by law to rectify the situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #51
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
Heres the deal.... Your dealer can't do the work and get reimbursed by BMWNA for that work if the system isnt saying you qualify. So they would eat the costs or you would have to pay. They have room to do Goodwill repairs but probably won't. Same as going in for an oil change if your car isnt calling for it, they will want to charge you because they wont get reimbursed by BMWNA.

Anyway....Have you talked to BMWNA? Call up there punch buttons to get customer relations and ask to talk to Doug, he just approved my seat sensor last month. Great guy and got it all worked out in a sensible fashion. I had a tear in the seat cover, the dealer was saying that tear broke the sensor, i was saying theres no sensor anywhere in that rip or ever near it. BMWNA has the dealer take the cushion apart, inspect the sensor, it wasnt at all damaged by the tear in the seat so they determined the sensor had failed due to manufacturing defects like others and replaced it for free, while i was out of my warranty. It will be even easier for you to get it done since you dont have a tear.

i have an 06 e90 sedan at 110K miles and had it done under the extended warranty for the sensor failures, even though the car itself is out of warranty. I have the base seats NOT the sport.

BMWNA told me that Sport has the recall, base has an extended 10 year warranty. I can't find the TIS for it though but they did have the dealer fix it. Honestly not sure if they fixed mine because i first reported the light while i was under warranty or if they used the special warranty to do it but either way call up BMWNA and have them run your VIN, then have them fix it under their special warranty on these parts.
That's actually good, sound advice. Thanks for the tip. I will definitely go this route should the dealer reject the goodwill repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakpheiser View Post
This is on page 2 of the PDF:

You should be fine. If the airbag light comes on, it will store the code in your keyfob and since this is considered a recall; I'm fairly sure that they're required by law to rectify the situation.
I must've glanced over the highlighted text -- thought it was the e46. But that's for catching that, it will be good ammo to bring to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #52
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

the dealer just wants to get paid to do it, if you can get bmwna to say they will pay the dealer since its extended warranty work, the dealer will be happy to do it.

the dealer is independent, they arent bmw, when you get a free oil change or anything you didnt pay for, the dealer is actually charging bmwna for it. bmwna will only pay for certain things though as the cars computer requests it. there is a glitch somewhere and the dealer isnt realizing your car is covered, a quick call to bmwna with your vin and they would set up a case and talk to the service manager and work it all out, you would get an email or call from the dealer asking when would you like to bring your car in.

the dealers fear bmwna, they have a lot to lose if they arent given high ratings by customers when bmwna calls or emails for customer satisfaction surveys after work is done.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #53
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the dealer just wants to get paid to do it, if you can get bmwna to say they will pay the dealer since its extended warranty work, the dealer will be happy to do it.

the dealer is independent, they arent bmw, when you get a free oil change or anything you didnt pay for, the dealer is actually charging bmwna for it. bmwna will only pay for certain things though as the cars computer requests it. there is a glitch somewhere and the dealer isnt realizing your car is covered, a quick call to bmwna with your vin and they would set up a case and talk to the service manager and work it all out, you would get an email or call from the dealer asking when would you like to bring your car in.

the dealers fear bmwna, they have a lot to lose if they arent given high ratings by customers when bmwna calls or emails for customer satisfaction surveys after work is done.
yea, i remember those surveys... they always asked to put down 5's or they get a lashing

anyways, thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #54
Toon Army in Florida
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i in Black.

Hi everyone. I am new to the site but have already found it of value. I am on my 4th BM having owned 3 in the UK before emigrating to the US. This is my first BMW here having owned 2 Mercs in the past 2 years, one a great experience, the other an absolute nightmare.
I was so happy to confess my sins and repent for my folly when I sold both Mercs and returned to BMW!!
Anyway my 2006 325i has already had the airbag sensor mat replaced once but has gone bad again. I am getting all the same warning lights as everyone. Is anyone else on their 2nd replacement?
Also my brake/DTC/cruise control warning lights illuminate, sometime on start up sometimes after 30-35miles. I was originally told this was due to the brake pads/rotor wear and would stop once the brakes were serviced. This has been done but still the lights....anyone got any suggestions for this p***ed off Brit?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #55
nky
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

I have the same problem as described in the recall: the airbag warning light is on and the passenger air bag off light is on, even if someone is sitting in the passenger seat. I called the BMW 1-800-525-7417 number on the NHTSA recall report, and gave the BMW rep the last 7 digits of my VIN. She told me that the recall is VIN-specific and my car is not on the recall list. This doesn't seem right. If I'm having the same problem as described in the recall, shouldn't they fix it for me? My warranty just expired a month ago too. Arghh!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #56
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nky View Post
I have the same problem as described in the recall: the airbag warning light is on and the passenger air bag off light is on, even if someone is sitting in the passenger seat. I called the BMW 1-800-525-7417 number on the NHTSA recall report, and gave the BMW rep the last 7 digits of my VIN. She told me that the recall is VIN-specific and my car is not on the recall list. This doesn't seem right. If I'm having the same problem as described in the recall, shouldn't they fix it for me? My warranty just expired a month ago too. Arghh!
if it isnt on the recall list it might be on the extended warranty list, if the number you called just dealt with recalls they might have blown you off. Call 800 831 1117 or 800 578 5000 and get with customer relations. Also if your warranty just went out and you have it documented you had the issue already they might cover it under regular warranty, also they can do a goodwill repair. First step is to call BMWNA at those two numbers and talk to someone.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #57
nky
Private
Rep

Quote:
if it isnt on the recall list it might be on the extended warranty list, if the number you called just dealt with recalls they might have blown you off. Call 800 831 1117 or 800 578 5000 and get with customer relations. Also if your warranty just went out and you have it documented you had the issue already they might cover it under regular warranty, also they can do a goodwill repair. First step is to call BMWNA at those two numbers and talk to someone.
Thanks for the advice. I was going to call the BMWNA numbers today but this morning, I checked the connector under the passenger seat and it turns out it was a little loose. Pushed it in and the warning lights went away. Woo!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #58
Chainman31
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive Sports Wagon

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I was going to call the BMWNA numbers today but this morning, I checked the connector under the passenger seat and it turns out it was a little loose. Pushed it in and the warning lights went away. Woo!
I tried that too with no luck. I also called BMWNA and of course my VIN is not covered in either the TSB recall or extended warranty. Dang, I've only had the care two weeks! Still, what a pleasure to drive, passengers in the back for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #59
nky
Private
Rep

Well I guess I spoke too soon. The airbag warning light came back. It happens randomly, maybe half of the time I use the car. I tried calling BMWNA to see if I'm on the extended warranty list for this problem and I was told I'm not. He advised me to go to the dealer and pay for the diagnosis fee first. If it's the same part/problem as in the recall, I should talk to the service manager and maybe BMW can pay for part of it under goodwill. Argh!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #60
Chainman31
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive Sports Wagon

Quote:
Well I guess I spoke too soon. The airbag warning light came back. It happens randomly, maybe half of the time I use the car. I tried calling BMWNA to see if I'm on the extended warranty list for this problem and I was told I'm not. He advised me to go to the dealer and pay for the diagnosis fee first. If it's the same part/problem as in the recall, I should talk to the service manager and maybe BMW can pay for part of it under goodwill. Argh!
Good luck with the dealer.

I'm taking mine into the dealer soon as BMWNA also recommended, hopefully just a reset or something simple. I'll post my experience with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #61
tuineag
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Airbag warning light!

I have the same problem...but mine is more complicated (i have a 2008 328I with 19K).
The car had an accident, the driver airbag deployed...the car was fix i drive it with no problem and the airbag/seat belt come on, i go to service they change the driver airbag, the light was off and after 1 week the light is on again....
What shall i do now? Is anything else to change? Also, i notice that the guy from the service did not disconnect the battery, can this be one of the causes?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #62
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

had my air bag seat mat recall replaced last week, everything had been going fine, now the damn light is on again...i looked under the seat for any loose connections and everything appeared to be fine...its very frustrating...have to take A N O T H E R trip back to the dealer...hey atleast everyone knows my name by now. If anyone has any suggestions for a fix let me know.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #63
nky
Private
Rep

Just curious, how much did your dealer bill BMWNA for the seat mat recall? Did they replace just the mat sensor or the whole cushion? I haven't brought my car to the dealer yet because my airbag warning light hasn't gone off in a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #64
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

there was no amount on my invoice for how much they billed bmw...but they had the mat sensor and the cushion part #'s on there...and yea id keep it, if its not broke dont fix it..haha
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #65
nky
Private
Rep

Can you post the part #'s for the mat sensor and cushion from the invoice? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #66
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

yea ill look for the paper when i get home. i get in the car just now and of course i forget to put my seatbelt on so the thing starts to ding, i put it on and the light stayed lit up on the dash...i wish these things wernt so finnicky
Appreciate 0