Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Mounting new winter tires on beat-up old stock rims: good idea?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Mounting new winter tires on beat-up old stock rims: good idea?

I'm buying a new set of winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M3 runflats) for my 2008 E90 328xi.

Right now the car has the original 16" OEM wheels it came with. After a couple of years of driving in & around New York City, all four rims are dented. As far as I can tell, not too severely: no unusual vibration, and steering is straight.

Is it a good idea to just have the new winter rubber mounted on these rims and use them as a winter set for a couple of seasons? This would cost me around $180-200, compared to the alternative of $532 + shipping + TPMS for a new set of Rial Salernos with the tires premounted.

So, up front, reusing the current wheels looks like a clear winner. I'm worried about two scenarios that could screw me if I go this route though:

1) If the dents prevent the tires from being mounted properly, then I still have to buy the new wheels (repairing costs even more), except I just wasted the opportunity to have TireRack send them premounted for free. The tire installer guy says this "shouldn't be a problem." Is that legit?

2) If the dented wheels are much more likely (than a new set would be) to fail early, meaning before the tires are used up, then it'll hurt even more since I'll not only have wasted the original mounting fees but have to pay again to move the tires to a new set of wheels. Is this a real concern?

BTW, here in NYC, the roads are basically completely unmaintained so I'm not inclined buy new wheels, just for the winter, "for the heck of it." Only if they'd cause a problem for mounting, or be likely to be done before the tires are.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

if the rims still hold air you should technically be ok although not recommended.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I get that. I'd definitely just get new ones if I lived somewhere else. Here they'd just be destroyed again in a year. So I just wish I knew how much longer I can trust the wheels I've got now. It's 4yrs/50k now. A good 8k from one road trip, so not all pothole miles... but a lot.

For next summer my plan is to get the hardest rims possible and hope for the best
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

i personally would order the wheel set from TR. $300 difference is an easy bill to swallow for piece of mind driving everyday not having to worry about it. Rials are great wheels for a bmw.
      10-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep

Gorgeous ride man. The Montego Blue and the VB3s look incredible.

Thanks to both of you for your input. I was pretty much ready to just keep the old wheels but I'm convinced otherwise. I might still go that way if I can get a pro to actually look at them and tell me they're good enough to last a lot longer... otherwise I will just get the Rials as you suggest.

BTW, what would I do with my old wheels in this scenario? I know the tire place will dispose of my old tires for a fee, not sure what to do with the wheels though. Do I just take them to a scrapyard?

Thanks again guys, appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
StabPreflop
Private First Class
Rep

Ooooh. One more thing. Is moving the pressure sensors to the new wheels something a n00b like me can figure out to do myself, or do I need to take it in for that?
Appreciate 0