E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #177
///Lyubm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

No I-drive, anyone want to shed little more light on these K-Can connections?

Last edited by ///Lyubm; 06-13-2013 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #178
David335i
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 2007

Help needed

Hi guys sorry to drop in like this but really need help.
I have 10-2006 EUR build date 335i e90 sedan pre-fl i have manual no heating basic seats, i do have i-drive navi.

recently i bought 25-11-2010 buld date(says on doorpanels and many tags) alcantara mystic blue M-sport seats with lumbar/side bolsters/electric memory seats dont know if they have heating.I think they dont? cause i dont have heating module and K-Can pins on passenger side.(the car had damage from back)

So basicly i have to do alotta wires to make it work.I have read this thread a countless times but i still dont undarstand a couple things i would really appreciate if you guys could help me do this the right way.Iam very low
on budget so i need to do this on my own.

1.The seats are from a crash car so the drivers seatbelt tensioner has been used so i need to get a raplecment i dont think the one from the standart seat would fit(would be nice tho) i dont know if the airbag is been used cause i dont see anything odd on the seats.

2.I have noticed that the headrest doesnt come off so they have that headrest AFAIK so i dont know if that is used or broken i hope they are just fine and can work with my car without dashlights cause my car didnt have that option at production date.

3.I know i have to wire pin2 and 3 drivers seat to K-Can for memory.pretty easy i think soldering to idrive controller or somewhere else.
pin 4 and 7 for +12 power from fusebox to seat but dont know exactly wich slots of the fusebox i should use on my car?
pin8 and 13 for ground to fusebox/seatbolt is it a good idea to use the bolt for ground or is it better to try find other ground.
i did found that seat heating is 29(5amp),32,49 in fusebox and seat power 32,33,37,49.they are all 30 amp but my seat is pin 7 for power so 10 amp how can i resolve this?

4.I have to do same on passenger side except Kcan because there are no K-Can wires on seatside.
are there 2 fuseboxes on each sides or do i have to take te wires from 1 fusebox and split them for both sides?

5. i have to do programming so that memory and adjustment will work and maybe seat heating if its there.

6. the airbag wires dont match up in color is that an issue?

plz guys help me out on this one

David

Hier is the pinout i have atm.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf fusebox.pdf (68.1 KB, 467 views)

Last edited by David335i; 06-16-2013 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #179
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lyubm View Post
No I-drive, anyone want to shed little more light on these K-Can connections?
You will find the K-Can line running next to your handbrake. Just connect the wires there and you will be good to go.
      06-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #180
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David335i View Post
1.The seats are from a crash car so the drivers seatbelt tensioner has been used so i need to get a raplecment i dont think the one from the standart seat would fit(would be nice tho) i dont know if the airbag is been used cause i dont see anything odd on the seats.
Use pre-tensioner of your car.

2.I have noticed that the headrest doesnt come off so they have that headrest AFAIK so i dont know if that is used or broken i hope they are just fine and can work with my car without dashlights cause my car didnt have that option at production date.
Active head restraints, do not come off. If they move up and down, they are fine. However if they stay at the top position, then you bought Junk. You will have to buy new head restrains from the dealer or live with these on max head position.

3.I know i have to wire pin2 and 3 drivers seat to K-Can for memory.pretty easy i think soldering to idrive controller or somewhere else.
Correct
pin 4 and 7 for +12 power from fusebox to seat but dont know exactly wich slots of the fusebox i should use on my car?
If you read this thread in details, you will find where do +ve go. I have spent countless hours reading this thread again and again and all the answers are given in the thread. Credit to contributors. Just for your ease;
Pin 4 and 12 go to X11005 connector (neutral colour) in the fuse box. Or follow the Fuse 32.

For Passenger side (RHD cars), use X11004 connector on the Fuse box, or follow the fuse 49.

pin8 and 13 for ground to fusebox/seatbolt is it a good idea to use the bolt for ground or is it better to try find other ground.
Use the ground point under passenger footwell (in RHD cars). Or you can use any ground point.

i did found that seat heating is 29(5amp),32,49 in fusebox and seat power 32,33,37,49.they are all 30 amp but my seat is pin 7 for power so 10 amp how can i resolve this?
Irrelevant, use only those fuse which are recommended.

4.I have to do same on passenger side except Kcan because there are no K-Can wires on seatside.
are there 2 fuseboxes on each sides or do i have to take te wires from 1 fusebox and split them for both sides?
You need to run the wires for each side separately, otherwise you will be overloading the wirings.

5. i have to do programming so that memory and adjustment will work and maybe seat heating if its there.
Yes.

6. the airbag wires dont match up in color is that an issue?
Which airbags are you referring to? Side airbags?
If that is the case and connector differs, then take out your original side airbags and put them in the new seats.
All the best.
      06-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #181
David335i
Registered
Netherlands
Rep

at first many thanks for your fast responce makkan

The headrestraints go up and down smooth so they are ok i think thanks for telling how to see if they broken.

do you know how to make sure if i have seat heating or not?

3.If you read this thread in details, you will find where do +ve go. I have spent countless hours reading this thread again and again and all the answers are given in the thread. Credit to contributors. Just for your ease;
Pin 4 and 12 go to X11005 connector (neutral colour) in the fuse box. Or follow the Fuse 32.
For Passenger side (RHD cars), use X11004 connector on the Fuse box, or follow the fuse 49.

I read it many times also but iam little confused because of many diffrent configurations cause my car is 2006 and seats 2010.I am also very proud of you guys that you made effort to sort everything out for everybody.
I have LHD car srry forgot to mention.

1.So baisicaly i have to take the fusebox on the passenger side of the wall to take the connectors 11004,11005 out. put 2 wires in 1 pin on connector11004 (pin4 from driver and passenger connect to fuse 32) and do the same with pin7 on both sides to fuse 49?

2.Or connect driver pin4,7 to 11004 and passenger 4,7 to 11005?
does it matter where it goes inside x11004 or you have to put it exactly behind fuse 32?

3.i got confused when you mentioned pin 12 did you mean pin7 ?

4.and make 4 ground wires pin13,8 from both sides to passenger seat footwell ground spot?

Irrelevant, use only those fuse which are recommended.

5.so do i have to go with 30 amp what fusebox prescribes or 10amp what the seat want?

the airbag wires dont match up in color is that an issue?
Which airbags are you referring to? Side airbags?
6.I meant the pins 14 to 19 on both sides are little different you can see in picture dont know if thats an issue?
If that is the case and connector differs, then take out your original side airbags and put them in the new seats
Do they fit/ i thought i read somewhere that only 92 airbags where the same

Thanks for helping me iam not so good in English and electronics so its extra hard for me to understand but i really want to make it work plz dont get upset for my stupid questions.

David
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #182
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

2.Or connect driver pin4,7 to 11004 and passenger 4,7 to 11005?
does it matter where it goes inside x11004 or you have to put it exactly behind fuse 32?

pin4,7 to 11004
passenger 4,7 to 11005
Follow the fuse 32 and same for the other side.

3.i got confused when you mentioned pin 12 did you mean pin7 ?

My bad.

4.and make 4 ground wires pin13,8 from both sides to passenger seat footwell ground spot?

Or you can use one for driver side and one for passenger side. Split/ join them near the pin 13 and 8.

5.so do i have to go with 30 amp what fusebox prescribes or 10amp what the seat want?
30 amp

6.I meant the pins 14 to 19 on both sides are little different you can see in picture dont know if thats an issue?

I have moved from 2005 E90 to 2011 E90 seats. The only difference was pre-tensioner connectors. So I took those out of original seats and installed on LCI seats. They may be LCI pre-tensioners.

If that is the case and connector differs, then take out your original side airbags and put them in the new seats
Do they fit/ i thought i read somewhere that only 92 airbags where the same

Check if they are airbag or pre-tensioners. Whatever it is, switch them over.

David
All the best.
      06-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #183
David335i
Registered
Netherlands
Rep

tnx for responce makkan

dnt know how fusebox works

1.Just to make sure behind the fusebox where x11004 goes i put both wires (pin4 and 7 driver) in one open spot in the connector x11004 where on the other side is one end of fuse 32 and for passenger same on f49?

2.do you know how to make sure i have heated seats or not?

3. i just cant understand why i dont have pin 8 on passenger side does anybody know why or does mine use pin 12 for ground?

tnx man i really coudnt do it without your help cant wait to start

Last edited by David335i; 06-16-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #184
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

All seatbelt tensionners are the same so you can use your old ones. I did the same after I discover that the crashed ones have been deployed.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #185
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

hope it clarifies.

Quote:

dnt know how fusebox works

1.Just to make sure behind the fusebox where x11004 goes i put both wires (pin4 and 7 driver) in one open spot in the connector x11004 where on the other side is one end of fuse 32 and for passenger same on f49?

Make a small Wire for Pin 4. Then make a lengthy cable for Pin 7. Does not matter which one you keeps longer. Join them near the seat connector in Y shape. Upper two ends of Y go to pin 4 and 7. And lower end of Y (other end) goes to the glove box.
So basically only one side / seat goes to the fuse box.
Same as I mentioned about earth.

2.do you know how to make sure i have heated seats or not?
Take a photo of the bottom of driver and passenger seats and post it here.

3. i just cant understand why i dont have pin 8 on passenger side does anybody know why or does mine use pin 12 for ground?

tnx man i really coudnt do it without your help cant wait to start
      06-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #186
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
All seatbelt tensionners are the same so you can use your old ones. I did the same after I discover that the crashed ones have been deployed.
In my case pre-tensioner connectors were different. I kept my original one and sold the ones which came with the new seats.
      06-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #187
David335i
Registered
Netherlands
Rep

Now i understand alot more tnx man

i looked into connectors this is what i understand from wds
driver
x275 pin 4 to x11005 to pin4 /fuse 32
x275 pin 7 to x11006 to pin4 / fuse 37
x275 pin8,13 to ground in Y setup
passenger
x279 pin4 to x11005 to pin6 fuse 49
x279 pin7 to x11006 to pin1 fuse 33
x279 pin 13 to ground(no pin8 present so isnt necessary i think?)

is this how it must look like equipped OEM or is it unnesecary to wire them all like that or just stick to 1 fuse per seat?

am i right or just wrong

here pics from driver seat with module and passanger seat without
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #188
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

No module under the passenger seat mean no heating so you don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #189
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
In my case pre-tensioner connectors were different. I kept my original one and sold the ones which came with the new seats.
Ok.

I think the best practice it to always keep your old tensionners to avoid problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #190
TeutonicFlight
Keepin It Real
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 crew

hey guys

chiming in here seeking help retro fitting my new 2009-2010 e92 m3 speedcloths into my 10/2007 E92 335i. The power moves them font / back and tilt / recline. However...the Airbag ICON is strongly lit on my dash, as well as the lumbar and lumbar adjusts dont work on either seat...and I dont believe memory works either. codes ! No heat installed on these seats...fyi. Help !/?
Could it just be a pin config issue to be sorted out correctly....then go see Alpine Alex ( coding ) after thats done correctly ? HELP is appreciated...LOVE LOVE LOVE the new seats !!!
thanks in advance for any direct assistance on this.

Never Mistake Activity for Achievement
Parking lots
C Mod
84'
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #191
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundefolge View Post
chiming in here seeking help retro fitting my new 2009-2010 e92 m3 speedcloths into my 10/2007 E92 335i. The power moves them font / back and tilt / recline. However...the Airbag ICON is strongly lit on my dash, as well as the lumbar and lumbar adjusts dont work on either seat...and I dont believe memory works either. codes ! No heat installed on these seats...fyi. Help !/?
Could it just be a pin config issue to be sorted out correctly....then go see Alpine Alex ( coding ) after thats done correctly ? HELP is appreciated...LOVE LOVE LOVE the new seats !!!
thanks in advance for any direct assistance on this.
airbag error can be caused by faulty belt tensionners. Try changing the parts with your old ones.

Have you added power and kcan to your seats? If no, pls read the thread first!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #192
TeutonicFlight
Keepin It Real
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 crew

thanks for some help...

Quote:
airbag error can be caused by faulty belt tensionners. Try changing the parts with your old ones.

I swapped over my "no error" seatbelt recepticles from my original 2007 seats to the 2009 M3 seats....did you mean something else ?

Have you added power and kcan to your seats? If no, pls read the thread first!
??? kcan ?

Never Mistake Activity for Achievement
Parking lots
C Mod
84'
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #193
vinders
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE LCI

hello all
I am new to the forum and have a question that has been asked many times but I can't see the answer really.

I have a 2011 E90 LCI SE with manual heated seats, I have just bought and fitted 2011 M sport manual heated seats, the powered bolsters don't work.

From what I have read on here it can be made to work by bridging the 12v and gnd connections from the heating wires on pins 4+8 to pins 9+13

My question is....in the m sport does this power come from the car loom on a separate fuse?

I understand that the bridging will work but it is a bodge to get round a problem, if possible I would like to install as per the manufacturer route...

Also can I just confirm that if I do the bridge connections they are on the seat harness not the car harness?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #194
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinders View Post
hello all
I am new to the forum and have a question that has been asked many times but I can't see the answer really.

I have a 2011 E90 LCI SE with manual heated seats, I have just bought and fitted 2011 M sport manual heated seats, the powered bolsters don't work.

From what I have read on here it can be made to work by bridging the 12v and gnd connections from the heating wires on pins 4+8 to pins 9+13

My question is....in the m sport does this power come from the car loom on a separate fuse?

I understand that the bridging will work but it is a bodge to get round a problem, if possible I would like to install as per the manufacturer route...

Also can I just confirm that if I do the bridge connections they are on the seat harness not the car harness?

Cheers

bridging the wires will be the easiest option. It also doesn't screw up the oem harness as it'll be the same existing wires anyway. they all go into the same fuse so even an oem harness that has the preexisting wires hooked up would eventually get routed into the same fuse location anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #195
Audentia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i gran coupe

OK, i've been lurking on this forum for a while, but am unsure if my question has been answered:
I had powered regular seats switched out for powered Sport Seats.
Everything works that was already there including memory. What DOESNT work is lumbar and bolsters, because of course they are new to sport seat. (no heat so no worries about that)
What's easiest way and least damaging to harness to get lumbar and bolster working? Seems a simple moving/bridging wire to get power to right plug on seat side of harness will do it..? Something with fuse37? which pins would i be moving?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #196
Audentia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i gran coupe

Hmm, is my solution this:
**from Car to Sport Seat**
PIN8(gnd) to PIN13
PIN4(extra 12v) to PIN7 or PIN9 depending on year of car manufacture for seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #197
J66
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

HELP!

My car is e90 2008 Manual seat with Heated. i brought 2009+ e90 m3 Power, Heated, Lumber and Bolster.

Passenger side:
I started installing the Passenger side, instead of changing the PIN on "Seat", i was easier for me to change the "CAR" so i swap 12V+ from pin#9 to pin#4 and Ground from pin#8 to pin#13 and got the seat moving (Front back, up down, tilt, etc)

Driver side:
Left it the way it is, did not work, moved pins from "CAR" just like passenger side 12V+ from pin#9 to Pin#4 and Pin#8 to pin#13, STILL DOESN"T WORK. then i kept 12V+ on PIN#4 and moved Grount back to PIN#8 STILL NO GO! looking at the seat i don't see a male for pin#9.

i just want to be able to move the seat so i can drive the car and get the bolts on. Can anyone give some advice?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #198
J66
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
All the best.
bump
Appreciate 0