E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > British soldier hacking.(beheaded?) in the streets?

Closed Thread

05-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #111
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

(from reddit)

[–]thecaptchanator 693 points 21 hours ago*

This is something I have a lot to say about . I am from North Kerala and this is something I have been wondering about for a while now . My mom was telling me the other day about how some of the houses being built these days have separate entrances for both men and women . I find this trend quite disturbing .

Any attempt to reduce this to some simplistic answer should be rejected outright . The reasons for this are complex and I myself am not sure but I'll give it a shot :
1 . Globalization and Homogenization :- The fact is that until recently (a few decades ago) , Islam in each area had a distinct local flavour . Once muslims started coming in greater contact with the Arab cultures it has had a homogenizing effect on Islam globally which is due to ...
2 . Our community seems to be trapped in some sort of "Who can become the most religious" game . Its a self reinforcing cycle that leads to more and more insular behaviour and ridiculous escalations in religious fervour . The more difficult it becomes to sustain ones beliefs and practices , the more one is ridiculed the more respect the religious one gains in the community and the more everyone rushes towards him and tries to become like him ..
3 . Now this might sound absolutely ridiculous but Muslims take their religion far more seriously than the average religious dude . They genuinely believe in it and live in fear of the fact that they might end up in hell . I was at a Friday sermon where the Imam was explaining how adulterers in hell would be continuously trampled to death by camels , I found the grave looks on the peoples faces quite funny ...
4 : Even these factors cannot adequately explain what is actually going on . Some of it might be due to the rise of evangelism which means that marketing this stuff has now become a huge business .You can get people to adopt something if you can convince them that it is superior . The western liberal worldview is painted as immoral and decadent . Frankly they easily fall for this as their awareness on these things is really low . Only education can fix this .

Ive been stalking this subreddit for sometime now . I am really disturbed by how many people here have a deep seated hatred for muslims . I have never encountered this in real life but now I worry . It seems the more informed and educated the person is the worse his perception is . Trust me , There are guys like me out here too . But caught in the midst of this rat race to heaven I cant just come out in public . I would still say that the vast majority of people are quite fine and this is not just a banal cliche . There is no grand mullah conspiracy . The majority are just dumb . Dont attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence . I would be the first to accept all the flaws that you guys point out here but be aware that its not just Saudi money that is playing the game . There is also a giant anti islam circle jerk out there with many players and hidden agendas . Dont get sucked into the "us vs them" narrative. Please .

EDIT : Some evidence for my anti - islam circle jerk claim :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002....brianwhitaker

EDIT 2 : - So many people are asking why people dont speak out . Consider the case of this cleric . He really tried to change things. But one fine day he disappeared. His body has never been found. (A guy even specifically warned me using this guys sad story as an example).

Basically the whole world is in a bad place, except for the developed anglo-saxon+european world. North Korea is like any Arab country with leader worship instead of religion.
Gradually the world is trying to become more like the West, Communism is ideologically defeated in Russia replaced with a 'strongman', in China maintained in name only under single-party rule that seeks to mimic the economic development of the west while grudgingly doing the minimal with respect to human rights and democracy.

Why is the Arab world in such a clusterfuck? First, it's not the worst .. check out Africa.. my god, humanity has it's work cut out for the next hundred or two hundred years.
The Islam 'circle-jerk' as described above, is unique in which religion has become the rallying point in a typical human misery condition (that is the same everywhere and everytime in history).
The 'enemy' the clerics have picked out is the United States, to which the Middle East is but a stepping stone to cement world 'peace' and the proliferation of the ideals of democracy and human rights, which give the US it's strength.

(oops gotta go, more later )
      05-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #112
Bx Tpr
Lieutenant

Drives: '13 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I see you just want to hold on to your 'opinion' and aren't really looking for any truth..
That would be my problem. Not yours.
Bx Tpr is offline   United_States
      05-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #113
F1Venom
Captain

Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
About 700-900 years ago my ancestors and other Anglo/Frisian/Saxonian/French catholics went on crusades to reconquer Jerusalem from Islamic forces...

That didn't work out very well. That's why we still have this problem, a religion behaving like living in the middle ages in the year 2013, spread all over the world. Like a Trojan Horse.

I blame my ancestors back then for not getting it done properly...

Cheers
Robin
Thats nice. Keep the hate up, that's exactly what the radicals feed on.

You are lost. Trying to make this about religion.

FYI Muslims are now the majority religion throughout the world. And it wasn't spread through Imperialism like Catholicism. So what does that tell you?
It's the majority religion because they breed like animals. Each woman has like six children on average. That's how they will conquer the world. No one talks about the muslim invasion but pretty soon Europe will be overrun by Muslims and it's already happened in England
      05-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #114
Mss396
Jet Pilot

Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxist View Post
FYI Muslims are now the majority religion throughout the world. And it wasn't spread through Imperialism like Catholicism. So what does that tell you?
Not so I believe they are just number three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...us_populations
Mss396 is offline   Germany
      05-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #115
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

After reading the posts in this thread, I'm thinking:

1. If you are a "naturalized citizen" of the US, why did you choose to come here, and then bitch about everything the US stands for, foreign policies, actions, etc.? Does that even make sense? Wouldn't it make you feel better to go somewhere else?

2. And could it be that you just don't "get it" when it comes to how Americans think? Like it or to, our society from the beginning was based upon the Christian faith. It's the basis of our concepts of fairness, compassion, justice, forgiveness, etc. - it's why we don't look like China, or the Muslim world.

We're not Imperialists, we don't beat up on people for fun, Bush didn't start the whole WMD thing about Iraq (look it up), and we don't exploit people. We do support the underdog, and our charity is unparalleled. Other cultures view this as weakness - Christianity views it as strength. Quite a difference.

And if you don't like it, go away.
      05-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #116
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

I came here to earn peasant, I am an engineer, I was relocated by my firm.

Because your firm and you are making money off of the US....
-------------------

Also I thought folks are guaranteed freedom of speech here.

Yes - unlike wherever you came from. Another freedom you enjoy, as do I. But in typical fashion, you want to try and use "freedom" against me - because you don't get it.
-------------------

That aside, who are you to tell me where I should live?

I'm simply pointing out your hipocricy.
--------------------

Take a long look around America. Most technical position requiring a math/science background are usually occupied by foriegners, because native Americans are pathetically weak in these fields. Maybe think next time, before bashing foreigners that are contributing to the success of your economy.

No - our economy is contributing to your success - because you couldn't make a living wherever you came from.
----------------

US imperialism and destruction of the region is just the reason why it looks this way today. The whole region was beautiful before that.

Yeah - sure.
--------------
US wants the chaos in the Middle East so they can remain involved in the region under the pretense of "security" and "charity"

Yeah - sure - that makes a lot of sense.
---------------

You didn't need to become a naturalized citizen to work in the US - you did that to suck off the country you obviously loathe.
Hypocrite or Parasite?
      05-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #117
M3Denver
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I came here to earn peasant, I am an engineer, I was relocated by my firm.

Because your firm and you are making money off of the US....
-------------------

Also I thought folks are guaranteed freedom of speech here.

Yes - unlike wherever you came from. Another freedom you enjoy, as do I. But in typical fashion, you want to try and use "freedom" against me - because you don't get it.
-------------------

That aside, who are you to tell me where I should live?

I'm simply pointing out your hipocricy.
--------------------

Take a long look around America. Most technical position requiring a math/science background are usually occupied by foriegners, because native Americans are pathetically weak in these fields. Maybe think next time, before bashing foreigners that are contributing to the success of your economy.

No - our economy is contributing to your success - because you couldn't make a living wherever you came from.
----------------

US imperialism and destruction of the region is just the reason why it looks this way today. The whole region was beautiful before that.

Yeah - sure.
--------------
US wants the chaos in the Middle East so they can remain involved in the region under the pretense of "security" and "charity"

Yeah - sure - that makes a lot of sense.
---------------

You didn't need to become a naturalized citizen to work in the US - you did that to suck off the country you obviously loathe.
Hypocrite or Parasite?
lol
      05-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #118
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:

1. If you are a "naturalized citizen" of the US, why did you choose to come here, and then bitch about everything the US stands for, foreign policies, actions, etc.? Does that even make sense? Wouldn't it make you feel better to go somewhere else?

2. And could it be that you just don't "get it" when it comes to how Americans think? Like it or to, our society from the beginning was based upon the Christian faith. It's the basis of our concepts of fairness, compassion, justice, forgiveness, etc. - it's why we don't look like China, or the Muslim world.

We're not Imperialists, we don't beat up on people for fun, Bush didn't start the whole WMD thing about Iraq (look it up), and we don't exploit people. We do support the underdog, and our charity is unparalleled. Other cultures view this as weakness - Christianity views it as strength. Quite a difference.

And if you don't like it, go away.
Thank you. +1
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      05-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #119
Mss396
Jet Pilot

Quote:

Hypocrite or Parasite?
Parasite
      05-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #120
AndreyT
Captain

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
After reading posts like this, I always get the initial impression that the author is simply trolling. The second point in particular allows no other explanation - it is just a collection of typical bored, old and useless Internet BS, that immediately falls apart under "Fact check: (checking) (checking) FALSE!" premise. So, that part is indeed obvious trolling.

But the first question kinda puzzled me for a second. It has been asked and answered, clearly and exhaustively many many many times. Why are they still asking it? Trolling again? And then I just realize: no, this is not trolling. This a just very basic property of American brain conditioning: the typical victim of the US regime is programmed to quickly and immediately erase answers to such questions from their heads. Which is why they keep asking them again and again, regardless of how many times they hear the answer. They never realize that something is wrong, and why normal people suddenly start giving them strange looks.

Let me make an effort to answer it again here, just to see how it works

Quote:
1. If you are a "naturalized citizen" of the US, why did you choose to come here,
Firstly, "come here" is a very broad and vague term. People who "come here" come here in very different ways for very different reasons.

For example, some mother from Mexico, who came here to escape drug violence in some border town and to give her children a chance for non-criminal future - she has very good and rather obvious reason to come here. No need to elaborate further.

For another example, there are various fake "asylum seekers", like the Cold War era immigrants from USSR. These people came here under an obvious deal with the US regime: they assent to the official US propaganda mythology about the "oppression" they experienced in Soviet Union in exchange for a monthly stick of "kielbasa" (i.e. welfare). (And then, puzzlingly, they will proceed to building here a little local copy of Soviet Union, like Brighton Beach community - a copy of the very same Soviet Union they so "desperately" tried to escape).

The list of such categories can be continued. But the point here is that the above two categories are examples of people who owe this country something, in one way or another.

Now consider people like me - professional workers skilled in computer science, aerospace and other hi tech areas. With us, the word "come here" acquired a different meaning. Very few of us actually made any conscious effort (i.e. explicitly "wanted") to come here. We were just living our lives, doing what we do, working in our respective areas. Until one day this very country - USA - came to our door, hat in hand, and began to desperately plead, beg, tearfully implore us to come here. Very few of us agreed, but some did.

Now, why did we come here... Well, firstly, because the industry I'm working in happens to be centered here, in San Francisco bay area. If it were centered in Australia, I would probably be in Australia now. In fact, as the center of world IT shifted massively to Moscow in the last decade, the professional immigration flow shifted to Moscow as well. In other words, it has nothing to do with USA itself. From this point of view, it is just a geographic coincidence.

Secondly, many people like me come here simply because we have a soft spot in our hearts. When a dying country begs us for help, we just can't say no. It is not purely personal, BTW. The Civilized World understands that USA is an out-of-control nuclear-armed entity, slowly but surely sinking into classic Fascism, which sitting in the middle of our planet. And at this stage there's not much the world can do about it. The only hope we have is that somehow human intelligence will prevail. And the Civilized World is trying to support this falling bridge with whatever "wood and clay", "sticks and stones" it can grab. Us being here is part of that support, however feeble it is. Meanwhile, whatever common sense is left in USA is also working in that direction: this is why this country seeks people like me with such desperation and tries so hard to convince us to come here.

Quote:
and then bitch about everything the US stands for, foreign policies, actions, etc.? Does that even make sense?
Well, I hope it does to you now. You see, as I already, the indoctrination policies of the US regime resulted in about 95% of the US population sinking below the intelligence levels that would allow one to seriously consider them as functional human beings. This, as I said above, is perceived by Civilized World as a major issue, considering that USA is a country in possession of WMDs.

Yet, as I said above, there is still a large amount of common sense left in this country, which is why it is so eager to have us here. So, let me spell it for you: this country wants us here so that we have a chance to teach you everything we know. And I mean everything: from the basics of personal hygiene, through math, history, politics, all the way to the art of making the important decisions in your life. We are here basically to act as you parents, or schoolteachers (whatever analogy you porefer). So the "bitching" that you see here is exactly that: something that people, who are much smarter than you, are trying to teach you. This is not very efficient, of course, as can be seen on your example, but at this point we are happy with our success ratio. It is expected that in your age and condition, you will not be very susceptible to basic education. But that's how it always worked: in every school class there are pupils who are eagerly learning, there are pupils who simply don't care what this teacher is "bitching" about, and there is a great variety of those in between.

There's a second side to your question above. The question itself seems to imply that people who were born here are somehow different from people who "came" here in their right to "bitch" about US policies etc. This is, of course, false. Formally, the have the equal rights to to that. But practically, taking into account what I said above, those who come here generally have more rights to do that. Firstly, because they are generally not indoctrinated by US propaganda. Secondly, because they have the ability to put things into the proper frame of reference. Americans cannot generally form a meaningful opinion about American policies, just like Chinese cannot meaningfully speak about Chinese policies, or Australian about Australian ones. A person has to be able to place things into an external frame of reference to appreciate things properly. You can't, while I can. This is exactly why when I "bitch" about American policies, people listen reverently. And this is exactly why when you trying to talk about the same subject, nobody really cares.

Quote:
Wouldn't it make you feel better to go somewhere else? And if you don't like it, go away.
Well, I hope now you understand that this is simply not applicable. If it like saying to Red Cross volunteer helping people in war-torn Somalia: "If you don't like it, go away". There's no question of "linking" or "not liking" it involved here. We are here largely out of charitable considerations. We are here to help this country to survive in the times when it needs us desperately. The fact that while doing it we have to tolerate living in this country for extended periods of time is something we consciously decided to suffer through.

You know, living in USA is like holding your breath underwater: you hold your breath for 11.5 months and then you take a vacation, go back to you home country and breathe, breathe, breathe for a couple of weeks. And then you take one last deep breath, go back to USA and hold your breath for another 11.5 months. It is strange way to live, but we don't sweat it much, knowing how important what we are doing is.

Last edited by AndreyT; 05-28-2013 at 12:44 PM.
AndreyT is offline   United_States
      05-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #121
schoy
Private First Class

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

^ I'm sorry your life sucks so much here in the US, and somehow you feel we -- as a nation -- are "begging" you to be here. You have the right to be here. You have the right to complain. You have the right to voice your opinion. I respect those rights granted to us by the government and the Constitution you clearly despise.

That said, I also have the right, granted -- again -- by the same institution you despise, to completely discount your words as the ramblings of a deluded individual. Peace.

Edit: I re-read your post, and I'm dying to know exactly who you are, as you are clearly superior to the rest of us. I want to know who you think you are that you feel you are so deserving of our worthy praises.
      05-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #122
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Despite your bizarre, narcissistic rant, my point was that you can come work in the US without becoming a Naturalized citizen. That is a choice. One I hope you don't make.
      05-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #123
AndreyT
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
^ I'm sorry your life sucks so much here in the US,
Sucks? LOL! You have a very typical for certain portion of local population view of things, like arrogant splitting everything into "sucks"/"non sucks" categories.

It is like saying that life of a fisherman "sucks" because he has to endure rough seas and work with smelly fish. Or that life of international airline pilot "sucks" because they have to skip from one time zone to another. Or that life of submarine officer "sucks" because he has to be away from home for extended periods of time.

No, some people love things they do, even if some other people might hate the very same things. And no, my life does not suck at all. This is just how I live my life. And I'm perfectly fine with it.

Quote:
and somehow you feel we -- as a nation -- are "begging" you to be here.
Well, I talk about things I have firsthand experience with, even if my choice of words might be excessively emotional (just for the purpose of getting my point across).

Quote:
You have the right to be here. You have the right to complain. You have the right to voice your opinion.
You are preaching to the choir.

Quote:
I respect those rights granted to us by the government and the Constitution you clearly despise. That said, I also have the right, granted -- again -- by the same institution you despise,
"Despise"? Where did I say that? Are you mistaking me for someone else?

I'm one of the people who came here legally and came here just to work, not to kiss any asses. And this is exactly what you are allergic to: people who came here legally and still don't owe anything to anyone here. You cannot attack us on the grounds of "you owe to us and to this great country". And this is something you can't tolerate, can't deal with.

Quote:
to completely discount your words as the ramblings of a deluded individual. Peace.
This is exactly what I meant when I said that answering such questions is mostly a waste of time, since the answer will not "stick", it will trigger a programmed dismissive reaction and self-erase rather quickly. "Deluded" and "rant" (see the other reaction above) are examples of keywords that immediately betray the activation of the corresponding program.

Last edited by AndreyT; 05-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.
      05-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #124
badazzm
Lieutenant

Drives: RRS GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
After reading posts like this, I always get the initial impression that the author is simply trolling. The second point in particular allows no other explanation - it is just a collection of typical bored, old and useless Internet BS, that immediately falls apart under "Fact check: (checking) (checking) FALSE!" premise. So, that part is indeed obvious trolling.

But the first question kinda puzzled me for a second. It has been asked and answered, clearly and exhaustively many many many times. Why are they still asking it? Trolling again? And then I just realize: no, this is not trolling. This a just very basic property of American brain conditioning: the typical victim of the US regime is programmed to quickly and immediately erase answers to such questions from their heads. Which is why they keep asking them again and again, regardless of how many times they hear the answer. They never realize that something is wrong, and why normal people suddenly start giving them strange looks.

Let me make an effort to answer it again here, just to see how it works

Firstly, "come here" is a very broad and vague term. People who "come here" come here in very different ways for very different reasons.

For example, some mother from Mexico, who came here to escape drug violence in some border town and to give her children a chance for non-criminal future - she has very good and rather obvious reason to come here. No need to elaborate further.

For another example, there are various fake "asylum seekers", like the Cold War era immigrants from USSR. These people came here under an obvious deal with the US regime: they assent to the official US propaganda mythology about the "oppression" they experienced in Soviet Union in exchange for a monthly stick of "kielbasa" (i.e. welfare). (And then, puzzlingly, they will proceed to building here a little local copy of Soviet Union, like Brighton Beach community - a copy of the very same Soviet Union they so "desperately" tried to escape).

The list of such categories can be continued. But the point here is that the above two categories are examples of people who owe this country something, in one way or another.

Now consider people like me - professional workers skilled in computer science, aerospace and other hi tech areas. With us, the word "come here" acquired a different meaning. Very few of us actually made any conscious effort (i.e. explicitly "wanted") to come here. We were just living our lives, doing what we do, working in our respective areas. Until one day this very country - USA - came to our door, hat in hand, and began to desperately plead, beg, tearfully implore us to come here. Very few of us agreed, but some did.

Now, why did we come here... Well, firstly, because the industry I'm working in happens to be centered here, in San Francisco bay area. If it were centered in Australia, I would probably be in Australia now. In fact, as the center of world IT shifted massively to Moscow in the last decade, the professional immigration flow shifted to Moscow as well. In other words, it has nothing to do with USA itself. From this point of view, it is just a geographic coincidence.

Secondly, many people like me come here simply because we have a soft spot in our hearts. When a dying country begs us for help, we just can't say no. It is not purely personal, BTW. The Civilized World understands that USA is an out-of-control nuclear-armed entity, slowly but surely sinking into classic Fascism, which sitting in the middle of our planet. And at this stage there's not much the world can do about it. The only hope we have is that somehow human intelligence will prevail. And the Civilized World is trying to support this falling bridge with whatever "wood and clay", "sticks and stones" it can grab. Us being here is part of that support, however feeble it is. Meanwhile, whatever common sense is left in USA is also working in that direction: this is why this country seeks people like me with such desperation and tries so hard to convince us to come here.

Well, I hope it does to you now. You see, as I already, the indoctrination policies of the US regime resulted in about 95% of the US population sinking below the intelligence levels that would allow one to seriously consider them as functional human beings. This, as I said above, is perceived by Civilized World as a major issue, considering that USA is a country in possession of WMDs.

Yet, as I said above, there is still a large amount of common sense left in this country, which is why it is so eager to have us here. So, let me spell it for you: this country wants us here so that we have a chance to teach you everything we know. And I mean everything: from the basics of personal hygiene, through math, history, politics, all the way to the art of making the important decisions in your life. We are here basically to act as you parents, or schoolteachers (whatever analogy you porefer). So the "bitching" that you see here is exactly that: something that people, who are much smarter than you, are trying to teach you. This is not very efficient, of course, as can be seen on your example, but at this point we are happy with our success ratio. It is expected that in your age and condition, you will not be very susceptible to basic education. But that's how it always worked: in every school class there are pupils who are eagerly learning, there are pupils who simply don't care what this teacher is "bitching" about, and there is a great variety of those in between.

There's a second side to your question above. The question itself seems to imply that people who were born here are somehow different from people who "came" here in their right to "bitch" about US policies etc. This is, of course, false. Formally, the have the equal rights to to that. But practically, taking into account what I said above, those who come here generally have more rights to do that. Firstly, because they are generally not indoctrinated by US propaganda. Secondly, because they have the ability to put things into the proper frame of reference. Americans cannot generally form a meaningful opinion about American policies, just like Chinese cannot meaningfully speak about Chinese policies, or Australian about Australian ones. A person has to be able to place things into an external frame of reference to appreciate things properly. You can't, while I can. This is exactly why when I "bitch" about American policies, people listen reverently. And this is exactly why when you trying to talk about the same subject, nobody really cares.

Well, I hope now you understand that this is simply not applicable. If it like saying to Red Cross volunteer helping people in war-torn Somalia: "If you don't like it, go away". There's no question of "linking" or "not liking" it involved here. We are here largely out of charitable considerations. We are here to help this country to survive in the times when it needs us desperately. The fact that while doing it we have to tolerate living in this country for extended periods of time is something we consciously decided to suffer through.

You know, living in USA is like holding your breath underwater: you hold your breath for 11.5 months and then you take a vacation, go back to you home country and breathe, breathe, breathe for a couple of weeks. And then you take one last deep breath, go back to USA and hold your breath for another 11.5 months. It is strange way to live, but we don't sweat it much, knowing how important what we are doing is.
I get your points but I don't get how this country is begging you to stay here. I have many clients from diverse backgrounds in the field you mentioned you work in. 95% of them can't wait for the day they get the blue passport. It seems to me you are from a country which U.S is messing around with and you can't do anything but watch. You mind asking me what nationality are you?
badazzm is offline   India
      05-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #125
schoy
Private First Class

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Sucks? LOL! You have a very typical for certain portion of local population view of things, like arrogant splitting everything into "sucks"/"non sucks" categories.

It is like saying that life of a fisherman "sucks" because he has to endure rough seas and work with smelly fish. Or that life of international airline pilot "sucks" because they have to skip from one time zone to another. Or that life of submarine officer "sucks" because he has to be away from home for extended periods of time.

No, some people love things they do, even if some other people might hate the very same things. And no, my life does not suck at all. This is what I do. And I'm good at it.
Your words verbatim (emphasis added):
"The fact that while doing it we have to tolerate living in this country for extended periods of time is something we consciously decided to suffer through.

You know, living in USA is like holding your breath underwater: you hold your breath for 11.5 months and then you take a vacation, go back to you home country and breathe, breathe, breathe for a couple of weeks. And then you take one last deep breath, go back to USA and hold your breath for another 11.5 months. It is strange way to live, but we don't sweat it much, knowing how important what we are doing is."

Quote:
"Despise"? Where did I say that? Are you mistaking me for someone else?
Fair enough. I should have used the word "denigrated". You've equated the US government as "indoctrinating", but have not proven the US government as any less indoctrinating than any other government. You've also labeled the US society as uncivilized. Sure, the US has its share of problems, but what country/government doesn't?

Here's what I want to know, where is your home country? It sounds like you pine for the old Soviet Union, which makes me think you are Russian and still wedded to the old guard.

Quote:
I'm one of the people who are here just to work. And not to kiss any asses. And this is exactly what you are allergic to: people who "came" here and still don't owe anything to anyone here. You cannot attack us on the grounds of "you owe to us and to this great country". And this is something you can't tolerate.
I agree, you don't owe us anything, unless we're paying you for your work, in which case, you owe us your diligence. And taxes. I hope you pay them.
      05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #126
badazzm
Lieutenant

Quote:
Your words verbatim (emphasis added):
"The fact that while doing it we have to tolerate living in this country for extended periods of time is something we consciously decided to suffer through.

You know, living in USA is like holding your breath underwater: you hold your breath for 11.5 months and then you take a vacation, go back to you home country and breathe, breathe, breathe for a couple of weeks. And then you take one last deep breath, go back to USA and hold your breath for another 11.5 months. It is strange way to live, but we don't sweat it much, knowing how important what we are doing is."

Fair enough. I should have used the word "denigrated". You've equated the US government as "indoctrinating", but have not proven the US government as any less indoctrinating than any other government. You've also labeled the US society as uncivilized. Sure, the US has its share of problems, but what country/government doesn't?

Here's what I want to know, where is your home country? It sounds like you pine for the old Soviet Union, which makes me think you are Russian and still wedded to the old guard.

I agree, you don't owe us anything, unless we're paying you for your work, in which case, you owe us your diligence. And taxes. I hope you pay them.
Lol I wanna know the same. Russian I doubted. Not too many in the IT field. Maybe Persian. Tell us pls!
      05-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #127
AndreyT
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Lol I wanna know the same. Russian I doubted.
Belorussian, to be precise. But Russian is certainly close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Not too many in the IT field.
What does "not too many" mean exactly? On the one hand, there's not too many Russians in USA altogether. On the other hand, virtually all Russian professionals in USA work either in IT or in some academic science field (math, physics etc.) Most of them got their education during Soviet times and, to put it mildly, it hard to beat the Soviet education in scientific fields. And the dominance of Soviet school of computer programming is still unchallenged.

I personally work in the semiconductor design area, where it is kinda hard not to notice the massive presence of people from the former USSR

Last edited by AndreyT; 05-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.
      05-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #128
Mss396
Jet Pilot

Quote:
Most of them got their education during Soviet times and, to put it mildly, it hard to beat the Soviet education in scientific fields. And the dominance of Soviet
But yet the Americans did beat the USSR and won the Cold War. Didn't they
      05-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #129
badazzm
Lieutenant

Quote:
Belorussian, to be precise. But Russian is certainly close enough.

What does "not too many" mean exactly? On the one hand, there's not too many Russians in USA altogether. On the other hand, virtually all Russian professionals in USA work either in IT or in some academic science field (math, physics etc.) Most of them got their education during Soviet times and, to put it mildly, it hard to beat the Soviet education in scientific fields. And the dominance of Soviet school of computer programming is still unchallenged.

I personally work in the semiconductor design area, where it is kinda hard not to notice the massive presence of people from the former USSR
True. My bro in law is head or something design engineer at Intel. He does have eastern Europeans working under him.
Closed Thread