Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS Help ...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
mikegronholz
Texan By The Grace of God
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport

TPMS Help ...

Background ... 2011 e92 coupe MSport, factory wheels, TPMS work great

So, LC Dynas show up and the tire shop transfers the sensors. But they dont fit quite right on the fronts and the shop was not aware they are angle adjustable, so they are mounted inverted (as if it were a reverse drop wheel ... sensor just sticking up in the barrel). Get in, TPMS immediately says I need to reset, so I do. Few minutes later "TPM Malfunction".

So, take it back to the shop and they inspect the sensors and find nothing worng. Reset again ... "TPM Malfunction".

Search e90 and realize they are adjustable and back to the shop I go. They adjust them to sit properly. Reset ... "TPM Malfunction" and now it doesnt go away.

Of to the dealer ... clears codes and determines left front and rear sensors are bad. I buy two new one from the dealer and install them. Reset ... "TPM Malfunction".

Back to dealer ... clears codes and left front (brand new), left rear (brand new), and front right (old one that was inverted) all read "remaining life = 0" ... basically battery is dead ... he says that they are not communicating to the controller. Right rear is reading great.

Soooooooo ... today I order a complete set of new sensors that Zoeb normally sends out (same ones Gary @ TireRack sells) ... so the next idea is replace them all at once and do another master reset on the TPMS controller.

Anyone have any other ideas ? Tech mentioned maybe the antenna got damanged somehow. Where is the TPMS antenna in a 2011 ? He's swapped valve stem caps and the basic stuff.

Factory wheels were 18" and these are 19" ... if that makes a difference.

Please help ...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
WEEZAR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

So how did it ever turn out for ya? I am having the same problem with mine now..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZAR View Post
So how did it ever turn out for ya? I am having the same problem with mine now..
Are you using original TPMS? or you got a new set of wheels with aftermarket TPMS?
I am having the same as well right now on aftermarket wheels and aftermarket TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Are you using original TPMS? or you got a new set of wheels with aftermarket TPMS?
I am having the same as well right now on aftermarket wheels and aftermarket TPMS.
Lol.................... in the same boat. wtf.
      03-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

I might be wrong here but I believe the E92's have 4 TPM receivers. One for each wheel usually located in the front of each fender well. If the battery is dead, you might have picked up a set of used or faulty sensors.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Lol.................... in the same boat. wtf.
I am sure the problem is with aftermarket TPMS, been working OK for a few months then "TPM malfunction" reset a few times, no good. Switch back to OEM wheel/TPMS, don't even need to reset through iDrive and error is gone.
I'll contact the seller soon to find out, I bought the set of rims/tires/TPMS so I don;t know which aftermarket TPMS were put in.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

What type of TPMS are you guys using? They should all relearn on their own. unless you have the part number from the earlier version, or it was damaged. If they were installed straight up through the valve hole they are susceptible to damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianx View Post
What type of TPMS are you guys using? They should all relearn on their own. unless you have the part number from the earlier version, or it was damaged. If they were installed straight up through the valve hole they are susceptible to damage.
RS Technik, the problem for me they are fine for 3-4months then I got "TPMS malfunction", put the OEM with BERU TPMS no need to reset, warning gone after 5-min drive. charged battery cause dealer says maybe batt is low, siwtch back to wheel set that have RS-Technik, warning is back. so I know it's RS Technik TPMS. I am working with vendor right now, my suspicion is the batt on TPMS is dead (one out of four I think is enough to throw off the DME).

BTW, I bought the aftermarket wheels/TPMS/tires brand new (not used just to be clear).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
What sensors did you get? From my understanding, BMW made 2 different sensors that use different frequencies for 2010. If your car was made previously to Oct./Nov. 2010, you'll need the older sensors. Anything after, you'll need to use the newer sensors. You can check the production date of your car on the inside of your door.
      04-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
What sensors did you get? From my understanding, BMW made 2 different sensors that use different frequencies for 2010. If your car was made previously to Oct./Nov. 2010, you'll need the older sensors. Anything after, you'll need to use the newer sensors. You can check the production date of your car on the inside of your door.
Well, the strange things, when I got the aftermarket wheels + TPMS they are fine (I had to reset the TPMS on iDrive screen for the car to recognized them for the first time though my car is 2008 535i). Then 3-4 months afterward I got "TPM malfunction" , not low on air on one of the tires. Reset after reset, no go.

I believe they are RS Technik, cause the rep told me $200 extra for TPMS set, I doubt they are OEM BERU brand. The vendor advertised here so I doubt I am the only one having problem cause I bet many people bought these RS Technik TPMSes; unless something is up about these RS Technik
Appreciate 0