E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dynamat in a E46.... You think its enough?

12-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
GBorrelli
Rep
Drives: E46

Dynamat in a E46.... You think its enough?

Hey guys, i have a e46 325i, and i put dynamat on the doors over the summer. You might have seen the pics in e46fanatics.com. Over winter break iam doing the headliner and floor, so stay in tune.

Enjoy, and tell me what you think?

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

How much of a difference does that make in terms of noise? Dynamat is some pricey stuff, but does it work for its money?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
GBorrelli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
How much of a difference does that make in terms of noise? Dynamat is some pricey stuff, but does it work for its money?
Yes it does, by a lot too. I know its pricey, i bought it 4 bulk boxes for $180, thats $720 in black rubbery stuff lol. But seriously it does, i have an aftermarket Headunit, speakers, amps, subs, the works, and before the sound was great, and once i did the dynamat on the doors, it much a huge improvement. Iam an audiophile, but this is a must do mod if you car has a good aftermarket sound system and if you enjoy good music. Aside from making the car sound better, the dynamat also helps keep outside noise out. The doors are heavier, so when you close them you feel more surrounded by the car, it blocks out a lot of road noise too. It really does make a difference.

Put it this way, if your looking to upgrade your sound system, dynamat is a must, if you dont dynamat then your wasting your money on a speakers that you will never hear its full potential. If your looking for a quieter, smoother ride, dynamat will help alot.

Its a mod i dont regreat doing, i love it, sure its expensive, but well worth it for me. If you really dont crank up your music, or think your car is quite enough, dont waste your money.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
T i h o r
n00b
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd

I used dynamat in my POS benz, but I can't imagine ripping through the upholstery and whatnot in the e92. lol
      12-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

How much material (sq ft) would you estimate I would need for my E90? - to do a decent job on the doors and trunk. Nothing crazy - and I don't want 50 pounds of rubber on my new ride, just enough to get the job done, and keep the rattles away.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
GBorrelli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myrr View Post
How much material (sq ft) would you estimate I would need for my E90? - to do a decent job on the doors and trunk. Nothing crazy - and I don't want 50 pounds of rubber on my new ride, just enough to get the job done, and keep the rattles away.
For my car i used about 7-8sheets of the bulk pack to do 4 doors the way i did them, which as you can see in the pics i did the inner part of the door and outer(its the way it should be done,maybe i went just a tad overboard, but remember its a bmw). Each sheet is 4 sq. feet. So i used about 28-32 sq. feet of dynamat. The bulk pack comes with 36 sq.feet or 9 sheets. I estimate about 9 sheets weigh around 35-40lbs, not too heavy, but it does take a little effort to pick them up.

For your e90 i would say around 2 bulk boxes should be enough to do the install how i did it, and the entire trunk(wheel well and all). With two boxes you can do one hell of a job. You will add some weight to the car,, but honestly i didnt feel a difference from before and after(maybe its because my car is soo slow lol).

Kind of pricey stuff, but honestly so worth it. If your looking for better sound, or a quieter ride, soo worth it, it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Thanks for the advice! I would like to keep the weight under control, 40lbs or under. So, within those limits I will see what I can do. BSW recommends SecondSkin over Dynamat, so I have some research to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I think you're missing a spot.. just kidding. looks great! hopefully all the rattles are no longer there.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
GBorrelli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn View Post
I think you're missing a spot.. just kidding. looks great! hopefully all the rattles are no longer there.
lol they arent
Appreciate 0