E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > iPhone 4/4S Video Recording Kit for the Track

02-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

iPhone 4/4S Video Recording Kit for the Track

I'm going to the track soon and I wanted a way to record my horrible driving skills at the track without spending $300 for a GoPro 2 or Drift HD.

FYI:
iPhone 4 = 720p maximum recording
iPhone 4S = 1080p maximum recording

Here's the essentials:
  1. $18.99 Harry's Lap Timer Pro app
  2. $64.99 Olloclip 3-in-1 lens for the iPhone 4/4S
  3. $39.99 Xtand Go mount
  4. $16.00 iGrip Backseat headrest mount
So the total for this kit would be ~$140. Let me tell you about each piece:

1. The Lap Timer Pro app is necessary because it will let you record your laps without touching the phone. When you're on the track, you don't want to be messing with your phone! It uses POIs such as the start of the track to trigger it's recording function. It will also take your lap time, top speed, turn speed, etc. You can then overlay this information on top of your video afterwards

2. The Olloclip lens is optional if you are satisfied with the stock viewing angle of the iPhone. There is also a cheaper lens kit from Photojojo. It uses a circular sticky tape and magnet to hold the lens. I was skeptical of this for the track.

3. The Xtand Go mount is expensive but its designed very well. It's not bulky and able to use it with the Olloclip lens. If you are set on just taping the road, you can use this and skip the iGrip. I tried mounting this on the sunroof glass but the angle is a bit high. You can also buy another cheaper mount but make sure it can mount a bare iPhone 4/4S.

4. The iGrip mount is very cheap and clamps on one of the headrest rods of either the driver or passenger seat. If you have racing seats, this will obviously not work. If you are set on taping just the inside, you can skip purchasing the Xtand Go.

Here's a clip with 4 different views using wide angle and fish eye lens and the two mounts.

Last edited by blisstik; 02-23-2012 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: New clip
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Any video with the overlays of speed and all?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Click #1 above and scroll to the second video.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I clicked the first and didnt see it. Might have to get this. Wonder if I can find a cable long enough to keep it powered.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Is this last lap at laguna seca taken with the above mentioned kit/iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So it has track maps for popular tracks as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is 6spd

This harry's laptimer, does it show the lateral forces, G's as shown in the video above? This also allows for high quality video. This things seems pretty good, with the grips and the wide angle lens seems to have more advantage than the gopro.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Sean@PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Music reminds me of some initial D
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Seems like a very nice combo.

For me, I prefer using the iPhone/Harry's app as an instrument to tell my lap times, therefore I mount it on the windshield and use something else to capture the video. Then I download the data from the app, and use a software called RaceRender to overlay the data onto the video. Works great for what I need. Below is a video from an event last month.

Oh...for the cable, if you have the USB slot in the glove compartment, you can use it to have constant power for the phone. You can kind of see the cable in my video below.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Is this last lap at laguna seca taken with the above mentioned kit/iPhone?
No. It's just one of the many samples on Youtube.

Quote:
So it has track maps for popular tracks as well?
Yes. It's got a sh*t load of tracks. If its not there, you can plot the map and get it certified. The maps it comes with have been certified by real users like you and I.

Quote:
This harry's laptimer, does it show the lateral forces, G's as shown in the video above? This also allows for high quality video. This things seems pretty good, with the grips and the wide angle lens seems to have more advantage than the gopro.
I don't think the target signifies lateral forces. I think it's the accuracy of the GPS. You can tho use a Kiwi OBDII Wi-Fi as a sensor. The app will recognize it and allow you to log RPM and throttle position for example. This page has all the details: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/OBD_II.html

Quote:
Music reminds me of some initial D
I think it was this mix: http://www.ministryofsound.com/shop/...-to-bass-2012/

Quote:
For me, I prefer using the iPhone/Harry's app as an instrument to tell my lap times, therefore I mount it on the windshield and use something else to capture the video. Then I download the data from the app, and use a software called RaceRender to overlay the data onto the video. Works great for what I need. Below is a video from an event last month.
I think I'm gonna go with the iGrip using the wide angle lens as oppose to the fish eye. You lose some sense of speed the wider the lens. Plus, I'll be able to review my n00bish hand/shifting movements afterwards. I don't want to get too scientific, I just want to drive and let extincts take over.

Quote:
Oh...for the cable, if you have the USB slot in the glove compartment, you can use it to have constant power for the phone. You can kind of see the cable in my video below.
That reminds me, you can purchase a $0.99 DC adapter + your iPhone USB cable for power.
Appreciate 0