E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Worn flywheel springs - OK to auto-x/HPDE?

07-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Worn flywheel springs - OK to auto-x/HPDE?

I am considering taking my 335i out for auto-x events, and maybe an HPDE at Road Atlanta (or Barber Motorsports Park in B'ham). Been wanting to do this for years, but just never had the time or money to do so.

My car has 102k miles on it now (have owned since new), and it was my first manual tranny car. Needless to say, I was a little harsh when shifting for the first 20-30k miles or so. So, my dual-mass flywheel springs are pretty worn (car sometimes lurches/surges when lifting off throttle, sometimes rattles and/or takes a little extra effort to engage smoothly, etc).

It has been this way for probably 50k+ miles, but I just haven't fixed it as it the holding power of the clutch seems to be fine....not to mention it would be a crazy expensive job. If anything, I didn't slip the clutch enough when I was a newbie tranny driver.

Would this cause a serious issue if I auto-x/HPDE the car?

Thanks!
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Never heard of one exploding at the track but if you search the N54 engine forum a few of them have exploded when the springs were dead. I'd replace it if it were me.
Appreciate 0