E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Car stutters a little...help

12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi, 4dr, Alpine

Question Car stutters a little...help

Today when I started my car, it stuttered a little , it revved between 0 and almost 2 acting like it wanted to also shut down, then it went back to normal and this kept happening every time I started the car .
Any info on what this could be would be appreciated, my car is completely stock , 2006/e90/ 325xi sedan.
      12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep

Question

Today, still had the same problem and then it shut off while stopped at a red light and the yellow engine light came up and stayed on. If anyone has an idea of what could be causing this it would be appreciated.

Last edited by Kodak; 12-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: correct
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

what do you mean between 0 and 2? like 0rpms and 2,000rpms?

did it only do it on start up or does it do it altogether at idle? any accelerating issues? and does it subside once the car warms up?

It can be several things from, bad spark plugs/coils/vacuum leaks/faulty fuel pump/dirty throttle sensors/injectors which are some of the more common ones to several other things.

So a little more info about the symptoms could be useful along with more info about the vehicle such as mileage, recent maintenance etc

Also a quick would guide you on the right direction and show you the symptoms of the more common reasons why the car would sputter
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep

Yes, 0-2 rpms.
It does it only on start, no acceleration issues and it does subside after a warm up , but it still stutters a little and now the 'yellow engine light' come on, and has shut off a couple of times when I stopped at a red light.
Mileage is about 51km, completely stock , all major work was done by BMW, regular maintenance is done by myself now(325 xi/E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
what do you mean between 0 and 2? like 0rpms and 2,000rpms?

did it only do it on start up or does it do it altogether at idle? any accelerating issues? and does it subside once the car warms up?

It can be several things from, bad spark plugs/coils/vacuum leaks/faulty fuel pump/dirty throttle sensors/injectors which are some of the more common ones to several other things.

So a little more info about the symptoms could be useful along with more info about the vehicle such as mileage, recent maintenance etc

Also a quick would guide you on the right direction and show you the symptoms of the more common reasons why the car would sputter
      12-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

As in the post above, too many things could show this symptom. If you have a code reader, the best thing is to read the code or get it read to point in the right direction (post the code here for further help). You can also try, starting from the easiest, and items that do not require much expense:
Through in a bottle of Techron into the fuel tank and see if anything improves- it would clean up the fuel system, including valves and fuel injectors.
Then, try cleaning the mass air flow sensor (two screws on the airbox) with a MAF cleaner.
Dirty vanos solenoid would be the next item (there is a DIY here).
Spark Plugs would be next.
Appreciate 0