E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Traffic police question

08-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Traffic police question

Is it usual for a traffic cop to pull you if they are going to charge you with speeding?

I was travelling on at about 40-45 on a dual lane 30 mph road today when I looked in my mirror and spotted an E91 traffic car about 100 yards behind me, obviously I slowed down and moved over absolutely convinced he was going to pull me, however he just carried on.

Obviously these cars have cameras but is it likely they would 'let you go' and just send the ticket through the post?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Maybe he was a member of e90post and thought he would turn a blind eye
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

they'd of pulled you there and then..............
      08-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

The traffic cars only have video recording and anpr.

Therefore its an old fashion pull. You need calibrated laser devices and video feeds for a conviction. Too much kit to fit in the windscreen of a traffic car.

They probably saw you driving safely with care even though your speed crept up. Something them awful cameras wouldn't do.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
baggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe M Sport

they were clocking off.....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers I feel a bit better now. I was only moaning at the wife the other week after having to pay for her go on a speed awareness course and wasn't looking forward to the abuse

I thought of the clocking off thing as I myself had just clocked off after a 12 hour shift hence my haste to get home! (A lame excuse I know)...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

If it was a GMP cop car then it would have equipment in the car which would detect your cars speed and read its number plate to see if its stolen and has valid insurance. All that can be done in a few seconds if the cop car gets a good reading from directly behind.

If your were doing 15mph over the limit the chances are he pulled behind to give you a clear warning that you were speeding and you needed to slam the anchors on a bit and once the checks came back ok them more often than not minor speeding gets forgiven if the driver slows down. If its a serious limit breaker or the driver fails to recognise the police car and continued to drive like a plonker then you often get pulled and details taken.

As far as I am aware if a traffic officer detects you speeding with his car equipment and doesn't pull you, you could still be prosecuted as per a Gatso flash. All the officer would do is save the recording of the speeding offence and use that as the evidence against the driver as a gatso would with a still image. A 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' would be sent out to the registered keeper of the vehicle and once thats recieved you'd nominate the offending driver and send it back. Then the penalty would follow shortly afterwards which more often than not would be 3 points on your licence and a fine especially for speeding infringements over 10mph.

The chances are the officer either had something else more pressing to deal with and used his presence to slow you down or he may have summonsed you by which you would receive something through the post within 14 days. In reality if the speeding infringement has been seen like on this occasion the officer would normally stop the car and obtain driver details at the scene to remove any doubt of who was driving the vehicle. However, if he was busy and couldn't stop then Gatso rules would still apply if the cameras were recording as the driver starts and stops these when he sees an offence occur.

The chances are you are going to be ok but it depends on the tenacity of the officer.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I suspected as much and I'm not looking forward to a NIP on return from my holiday
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
You will be fine
      08-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne71 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I suspected as much and I'm not looking forward to a NIP on return from my holiday
Spectacularly unlikely that you will recieve one.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

40-45 in a 30 limit is excessive. Is it build up? Houses?

Lucky he didn't stop you; he must have had a good reason not to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not really built up, mainly industrial with a wide road with two lanes either direction. Speed limit is 30 though so I've no complaints if I get a ticket, the question was simply should I expect one if he didn't pull me.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #13
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
I'd be very suprised if you got one. If he was following you, he'd have pulled you.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne71 View Post
Not really built up, mainly industrial with a wide road with two lanes either direction. Speed limit is 30 though so I've no complaints if I get a ticket, the question was simply should I expect one if he didn't pull me.
Possibly if it wasn't a residential area (i.e. risk of children running about, etc), that may have been why you weren't stopped. Highly unlikely you will get a ticket later.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
PETERKAY
booked it packed it f**ked of
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M sport 57 plate

dont worry about it mate. no1 drives at 30 anyway. i went past an undercover corsa on portland street (30mph zone) the other night at about 40-45mph and at the traffic lights around the corner he just flashed his badge at me and said slow down. sometimes it just depends on the copper
      08-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #16
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
The copper prob didn't have the time to pull you over - my sis is a copper and has done all her pursuit training, etc.. yet she says that she barely pulls anyone over unless they are really driving like a tw*t as she simply doesn't have the time. They have so many jobs in the tray at a start of a shift that all have to be completed, the last thing she needs is to waste 1/2 hr pulling someone over for speeding.

yes, every now and again they will chuck 10 coppers on a stretch of road and have a bit of a purge on speeding but in general, most coppers in cars are on their way somewhere and not gonna pull you over.

There are so few police cars around here - can't even remember the last time I was followed by a copper and had to watch my speedo! Used to happen all the time.

The other week she had to work a night shift and other than 2 other coppers walking the town centre, she was the only copper in a car covering the whole of Cannock, Staffs - one lone female officer.

The stories she tells regarding staffing levels are shocking and there are reports of more police cuts!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
adam246
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

they wud ave pulld u
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
You will be fined
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
The copper prob didn't have the time to pull you over - my sis is a copper and has done all her pursuit training, etc.. yet she says that she barely pulls anyone over unless they are really driving like a tw*t as she simply doesn't have the time. They have so many jobs in the tray at a start of a shift that all have to be completed, the last thing she needs is to waste 1/2 hr pulling someone over for speeding.

yes, every now and again they will chuck 10 coppers on a stretch of road and have a bit of a purge on speeding but in general, most coppers in cars are on their way somewhere and not gonna pull you over.

There are so few police cars around here - can't even remember the last time I was followed by a copper and had to watch my speedo! Used to happen all the time.

The other week she had to work a night shift and other than 2 other coppers walking the town centre, she was the only copper in a car covering the whole of Cannock, Staffs - one lone female officer.

The stories she tells regarding staffing levels are shocking and there are reports of more police cuts!
She should come to GMP. A much bigger area that's Hyper busy full of cultural diversity, poverty and drugs and four officers covering 25 square miles with a population of 150,000. When it goes off here it's lethal an I'll tell you now it gets scary and people think the cops have it easy. Some cops have cushy numbers but the cops people actually see on the streets are overworked and underpaid to some tune. The reality is that cop that sat behind you had more pressing jobs or paperwork to attend to and because you slowed down he knew you got the message. Most cops are genuinally nice people that don't want to piss people off but have to balance this with enforcing the law. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
She should come to GMP. A much bigger area that's Hyper busy full of cultural diversity, poverty and drugs and four officers covering 25 square miles with a population of 150,000. When it goes off here it's lethal..... it.
precisely why we are leaving this shit hole ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #21
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybuilders View Post
dont worry about it mate. no1 drives at 30 anyway. i went past an undercover corsa on portland street (30mph zone) the other night at about 40-45mph and at the traffic lights around the corner he just flashed his badge at me and said slow down. sometimes it just depends on the copper
I drive at no more than 30mph in 30mph zones. I cannot stand the careless idiots who speed in built up areas, then run over people or knock cyclists off bikes and claim there was nothing they could do!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #22
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Lucky escape - had similar a couple of months ago.
Appreciate 0