E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New lease of life!

05-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

New lease of life!

WOW. Loving the car more and more….

After a few months of having the Traction Control overlord stopping me using the car to it’s full potential, now that an update of the IDrive software has sorted it out I’m really seeing what the car can do.

Just as an example, I was at some lights yesterday, 4 up, and booted it off the line in DS (all within legal limits) and I was shocked at the acceleration! Everyone in the car made all sorts of shock related noises, and even me as the driver felt some serious shove (you normally feel performance more as a passenger). I’ve been in a lot of fast cars and while I know my car isn’t the fastest thing on the road, I was shocked at how quick it felt!

One thing I’ve noticed since the car was given its new lease of life though is that it now allows a little bit of slip, for example on roundabouts. Is this normal with all the safety bits turned on?

Thing is, I got so used to the car allowing zero slip under any circumstances that I’m having to learn the limits of the car again. I’m not talking much slip though, and nothing which is dangerous, but enough for the wife to punch me in the arm!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

Thats great, my car is going in at the end of the month to have the radio reception looked at along with a few other issues, I must mention the over enthusiastic traction control as well.

Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Be aware though that the dealer didn't know they had fixed it, or even suggest at any stage that the problem could be software related.

The car had a faulty Idrive module (sos system failure) and so needed the firmware reloaded. They road tested the car to look for the TC problem after the update and reported they couldn't find a problem (which was right becuase it wasn't there any more!)

So, I was just lucky I think....

But tell them you've heard that the problem can be fixed with software and maybe you'll get the latest firmware for free which is a touch!

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post

After a few months of having the Traction Control overlord stopping me using the car to it’s full potential, now that an update of the IDrive software has sorted it out I’m really seeing what the car can do.

Just as an example, I was at some lights yesterday, 4 up, and booted it off the line in DS (all within legal limits) and I was shocked at the acceleration! Everyone in the car made all sorts of shock related noises, and even me as the driver felt some serious shove (you normally feel performance more as a passenger). I’ve been in a lot of fast cars and while I know my car isn’t the fastest thing on the road, I was shocked at how quick it felt!

One thing I’ve noticed since the car was given its new lease of life though is that it now allows a little bit of slip, for example on roundabouts. Is this normal with all the safety bits turned on?

Thing is, I got so used to the car allowing zero slip under any circumstances that I’m having to learn the limits of the car again. I’m not talking much slip though, and nothing which is dangerous, but enough for the wife to punch me in the arm!
If you really pressing on, DSC can take a moment to intervence, so yes thats normal slip you are feeling i.e. 'a brief wobble'

However, sometimes with all that torque and adverse road conditions, DSC may not catch you enough, so do still treat it progressively.

That's one of my gripes about the 330d - too much torque dumped then its all over before change up (I have petrol blues at the moment, want a 7k redline)
      05-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Glad your enjoying the car,may I ask if it is mapped at all?

Also I always find a car feels faster when Im driving it compared to being a passenger.
      05-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok, good to know that the car is now behaving as it should

DXB, Interesting you say cars feel faster when you're driving, for me, being a passenger and not knowing what the driver is going to do adds a bit of nervousness and hence makes the car feel quicker.

The car isn't remapped.

Also, Autos aren't supposed to be that good off the line but the box in the 330 seems to really bite from a standstill, there's a tiny bit of hesitation but after that its chucks away! Can't praise the car enough at the moment....apart from seeing a friends convertible at the weekend and now wanting a set of 19s

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:

Hi,

Do you know, can you ask which software version you have ???

Think it is likely to be E89x-10-03-501 or ISTAP 2.37.0, (both references for the same level of software).

Could be useful for other menbers who also have overactive DTC/DSC.

THANKS.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Good point, I'll try and find the version and post it up!

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, good to know that the car is now behaving as it should

DXB, Interesting you say cars feel faster when you're driving, for me, being a passenger and not knowing what the driver is going to do adds a bit of nervousness and hence makes the car feel quicker.

The car isn't remapped.

Also, Autos aren't supposed to be that good off the line but the box in the 330 seems to really bite from a standstill, there's a tiny bit of hesitation but after that its chucks away! Can't praise the car enough at the moment....apart from seeing a friends convertible at the weekend and now wanting a set of 19s

Yeah they always have done for me. I usually drive a little harder than others.
I think you would be crazy not to re-map buddy. I rekon you would freakin' love it!

Have you brake boosted at all, or just driving quickly off the line. If so (and the weather is good, tyres warm) then thats why it seems to launch so well.
Try launching it like a drag racer and see how much wheel spin you get then haha!!!
      05-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Break boost - I presume you mean hold the break and accelerator at the same time? No, didn't do that - not sure I would either, too frightened of breaking something!

No remap yet, happy with the way it drive. Maybe when the warranty runs out

BTW, How do I find the Idrive version number, went to look and can only find a version number in the Satnav...?

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
they brake boost really well. Thats the only way to launch an auto mate.
      05-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

What revs are best for the quickest launch mate?