E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Appealing a guilty verdict to a parking violation

06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Appealing a guilty verdict to a parking violation

Hey guys,
I received a parking ticket in downtown Manhattan, where the ticketing officer did not fill out the ticket correctly. The judge presiding over my initial request for review rejected my move to dismiss the ticket on the grounds that the picture I sent him, or her, was not clean enough to see the dates on the sticker. While I can clearly see what the sticker says in the picture, I guess one has to assume that the judges in the case are blind and, must provide a near-macro shot.

In any case, I'm going to appeal the decision but, I wanted to poll the NYC/Northern NJ drivers here and see if they have any experience with the appeal process. I've got a few questions:

The appeals website here suggests that one must turn up in person to go through the appeals process, exclusively. Is that true? I'd rather do this by mail/electronically, if possible.

I wanted to just pay the ticket now so that I do not incur any late fees or charges. Can I actually except the city of NYC to return my money, should the judge actually be able to see what the registration sticker says once I show him the 18mp close-up shot of the registration sticker?

Have any of you been successful appealing a ticket in this manner? I'd wager that the city of New York wouldn't be to lenient here, even though the office did not fill out the ticket correctly.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
The New York system is so big that the answer is "who knows?" If you have the time, perserverance and luck you might suceed, but there is a better chance that you'll just waste your time. It's a parking ticket and the city needs revenue so you need a lot of compelling reasons and (most importantly) sympathy to stand a chance. In NY terms -
Fugetaboutit
      06-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Ok, thanks.
Appreciate 0