E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E93 Top Unlocks But Doesn't Retract (RHT) FIXED

11-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Smoke4U
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i '08 E93 Convertible

E93 Top Unlocks But Doesn't Retract (RHT) FIXED

Just an FYI for those E93 owners who use their tops a lot. My retractable hard top would not retract into the trunk. I could hear the top unlock and verified this by removing the emergency unlock cover and saw the nut spinning. The light would be blinking green on the top button but eventually it would blink red. Windows would also retract normally.

So everything was good to go for the top to drop into the trunk but it didn't budge. Turns out there are some salmon color relays in the trunk that needed to be replaced. These burn out for those of us who use their tops daily.

Buy two of part # B12.63.1.742.690 and replace them in your trunk without disconnecting the battery and you're all fixed!

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
jeff408
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i E93

Thanks for posting. I will keep this info stored for the future, if needed.
      05-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
rediahad
Banned
Rep
Drives: E71, E93, E92

old thread but i want to pin this one so i dont lose it, mine is doing the exact same thing
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke4U View Post
Just an FYI for those E93 owners who use their tops a lot. My retractable hard top would not retract into the trunk. I could hear the top unlock and verified this by removing the emergency unlock cover and saw the nut spinning. The light would be blinking green on the top button but eventually it would blink red. Windows would also retract normally.

So everything was good to go for the top to drop into the trunk but it didn't budge. Turns out there are some salmon color relays in the trunk that needed to be replaced. These burn out for those of us who use their tops daily.

Buy two of part # B12.63.1.742.690 and replace them in your trunk without disconnecting the battery and you're all fixed!

You saved my life. I shat my pants last night after re-assembling my car from a turbo upgrade and reconnected the battery and tried to close the roof... nothing... only windows go up and zero hydraulics. After literally spending all night doing research on many similar situations, and your posts, I called two dealerships and went to both to get two relays. Worked like a charm.

Thank you very much for your contribution to the community.

VT
Appreciate 0