E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Changing bulb yourself voids warranty???

12-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #23
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

Damn...I didn't know brakes were covered too. Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #24
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

Well I did confirm with my SA that any OEM bulbs will be replaced free of charge if they burn out while my car is under warranty. I have Mtec 6000k halogens in my Mtech front bumper so it's too late for those. All other bulbs are OEM.

I have GP Thunder H7's for the DRL's and RD LED angel eye bulbs which I have not yet installed. I'm contemplating on whether or not I should install these. I still have 3 years left on my warranty. It would be nice to know I have no bulbs to worry about...Hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #25
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samps View Post
Damn...I didn't know brakes were covered too. Good to know.
Where are you located? Do you have a maintenance plan on your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #26
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by samps View Post
Well I did confirm with my SA that any OEM bulbs will be replaced free of charge if they burn out while my car is under warranty. I have Mtec 6000k halogens in my Mtech front bumper so it's too late for those. All other bulbs are OEM.

I have GP Thunder H7's for the DRL's and RD LED angel eye bulbs which I have not yet installed. I'm contemplating on whether or not I should install these. I still have 3 years left on my warranty. It would be nice to know I have no bulbs to worry about...Hmmm...
The problem is not just a bulb. In case you install a third party bulb even with the right type and wattage and harness or other parts it connected to have a problem, you will end up paying for everything, even let's say harness was defective from the factory. BMW is getting smart and puts those freaking stickers to deter people.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #27
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
I'm reposting this from the general forum, it's quality info about mods and warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
Ok, so as per the all too famous Magnuson Moss Warranty Act from back in the 70s: Mods do not in themselves void the warranty. However, say a part associated to the mod fails; if the manufacturer can prove there is a relationship between the two, they are allowed to void warranty on that part of the car.

For example, if you put some blacklines on your car and the next day the engine drops out of the car, the manufacturer would have to prove the blacklines had a direct effect to make the engine fall out of the car. If they cannot prove that, then your warranty is still intact.

On the flipside, if you add some engine modifications or engine management modifications and the engine explodes, then the manufacturer would have a valid case to void your engine warranty.

The loophole to this is if the new vehicle warranty specifically and clearly states that the addition of a certain mod will void the warranty ahead of time, then they can void it sight unseen.

In the end there is a balance, for any mod you addon, you must be aware that you are risking that portion of the car and therefore its not the manufacturers responsibility to warranty that part of the car you've decided to change. But this act does limit greedy/shady manufacturers from coping out of their responsibilities for the unmodified parts of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #28
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
Where are you located? Do you have a maintenance plan on your vehicle?
I'm in Canada. BC. I don't think I have a maintenance plan. Maybe it came with my manual? I bring the car in for service when I have a service warning from the car. Oil changes I do every 5-7k out of pocket, and let the dealer pay for the scheduled oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #29
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digivue View Post
The problem is not just a bulb. In case you install a third party bulb even with the right type and wattage and harness or other parts it connected to have a problem, you will end up paying for everything, even let's say harness was defective from the factory. BMW is getting smart and puts those freaking stickers to deter people.
Good points, which I totally follow. I guess my dilemma is that I have not touched anything except for the foglights...and I have all these aftermarket bulbs BNIB. Do I change, or leave OEM? I just have to think about it first.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #30
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If there weren't any stickers you broke and you are able to restore it to the original, worst comes to worst, you'll be able still claim warranty on your fogs.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

IMO, BMW should have been reasonable and let people put any bulb of the right type and wattage without any warranty implications of the rest of components. Besides, in the manual they explain how to do it and don't mention that only OEM bulbs must be installed. They are so afraid they put a sticker on my windshield with a warning not to put any equipment including anti radars!!! because it might cause failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #32
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
I'm reposting this from the general forum, it's quality info about mods and warranty.
BMW's response to Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is the warranty stickers. Brake them - farewell warranty.
Appreciate 0