E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

01-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #793
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
How much you think this will go for?

2007 335i sedan
Manual
Sport package
Active steering
50,000kms (about)
Almost never winter driven (certainly not on snow/salt)
Sapphire Black
Terra leather interior
Satin Black Arc-8s wrapped with Hankook RS 3
LSD

Other mods such as suspension, exhaust, etc, will be removed and sold separately

Mint interior (backseat looks like new, LOL!)

Youvy, any thoughts?

Ken i'll get you some numbers tomorrow.
I can tell you now though you'll get more money retail...
Still i'll look into it for you my man!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #794
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
what a sexy vette! a few angles that are not super flattering, but wow! it promises to be a beast! i can't wait for the z06 my goodness!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #795
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
I know thanks, but I am not about to jump ship yet, cause you would not want to buy first year of any car, and also the other higher performing models have not been revealed yet

So it will unlikely happen in the next 12 months. One thing I am now convinced of, it will be a much better choice than the Cayman, as the engine issues with that car is a real killer.
i think with the new cayman, reliability should be improved. porsches arent too bad in terms or reliability... the only problem is that the engines are harder to get to so regular maintenance and servicing is generally more expensive. i do like the new 991, cayman & boxster interiors.... very upscale indeed... a huge step up from my 997 generation p-car which feels dated even compared to a base 3 series.

that being said, the new vette is definitely a very good bang for the buck and theres no doubt that the aftermarket will have tons of products out there to fix anything you dont like about the stock car.

performance versions arent out yet but even the base vette is a pretty good buy considering the price they are asking for it. the performance vettes will likely put the price of the car well above 100k (with a few light options) in canada by the time they come out. all depends on how much youre willing to spend on the weekend track toy and how much track time youre going to do with the car....

now the last question to ask is this ....... is the vette better than this ?? which would you rather have?

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #796
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
what a sexy vette! a few angles that are not super flattering, but wow! it promises to be a beast! i can't wait for the z06 my goodness!!
They fouled up the rear end. Its a Vette not a freakin Camaro

Last edited by jgalaxy; 01-13-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #797
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
i think the new viper is nothing special
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #798
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
but....
V10
640hp
600 lb-ft torque

sounds pretty special to me... i know its not a scalpel but thats one hell of a sledge hammer...

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #799
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Agreed! will be following this closely

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
i think with the new cayman, reliability should be improved. porsches arent too bad in terms or reliability... the only problem is that the engines are harder to get to so regular maintenance and servicing is generally more expensive. i do like the new 991, cayman & boxster interiors.... very upscale indeed... a huge step up from my 997 generation p-car which feels dated even compared to a base 3 series.

that being said, the new vette is definitely a very good bang for the buck and theres no doubt that the aftermarket will have tons of products out there to fix anything you dont like about the stock car.

performance versions arent out yet but even the base vette is a pretty good buy considering the price they are asking for it. the performance vettes will likely put the price of the car well above 100k (with a few light options) in canada by the time they come out. all depends on how much youre willing to spend on the weekend track toy and how much track time youre going to do with the car....

now the last question to ask is this ....... is the vette better than this ?? which would you rather have?
Quote:
Quote:
but....
V10
640hp
600 lb-ft torque

sounds pretty special to me... i know its not a scalpel but thats one hell of a sledge hammer...
Chris, you are right the sound of the Viper is intoxicating, but in terms of performance if you do a quick search, you will quickly find that the 2012 ZR1 has better dyno numbers, do longer bunouts by 100 feet, as well as being 2 seconds faster at Laguna Seca. For such a new car, it is indeed impressive, but also disappointing, compared to the best outgoing vette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
They fouled up the rear end. Its a Vette not a freakin Camaro
I know, but not really a deal breaker for me, he he! But not before 2014.

I need to get me a car that I would not need $1 of mod to track.
      01-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #800
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

anyone ever did this service for their N55/N54 engine?? have a friend who's asking if this would be a good idea as regular maintenance.... i dont know enough about the turbo engines.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676488

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #801
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
anyone ever did this service for their N55/N54 engine?? have a friend who's asking if this would be a good idea as regular maintenance.... i dont know enough about the turbo engines.

This the very reason why I ditched my N54. This engine will not be a long lasting one. There isn't any defined maintenance for this, but if I was tracking my car, I would be cleaning the intake ports and valves once a year. Regular driving every 2 or three years. It's a bit of a bitch due to the some electrical components that are in the way when you try to gain access to the intake manifold. I tried and gave up, sold the car and bought a truck.
      01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #802
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
This the very reason why I ditched my N54. This engine will not be a long lasting one. There isn't any defined maintenance for this, but if I was tracking my car, I would be cleaning the intake ports and valves once a year. Regular driving every 2 or three years. It's a bit of a bitch due to the some electrical components that are in the way when you try to gain access to the intake manifold. I tried and gave up, sold the car and bought a truck.
+1, this is part of the reason why I ditched my car too. Carbon buildup on these engines is quite awful. You pretty much have to do either that service, or SeaFoam.
      01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #803
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
+1, this is part of the reason why I ditched my car too. Carbon buildup on these engines is quite awful. You pretty much have to do either that service, or SeaFoam.
Wooo les boys! Trying to sell a car here

Seriously though, intake valve cleaning is required for ALL DI (direct injection) engines, and that means your Golf R may eventually require this cleaning too Glen, ha ha!

While DI engines are quite the future in terms of performance and efficiency (better mileage) the obvious downside is that the fuel is injected directly in the cylinders, without passing through the intake valves, and hence cleaning agents in the fuel no longer cleans the said valves. Now, why do the intake valves get all dirty, is because all modern engines recirculates crankcase air (oil fumes included) through the engine to be burned, so as to minimize polluting the environment. Those oil fumes cakes on the very hot intake tracts. In theory, blown engines have more blow by oil, but this is not always true.

Only required every 50,000kms or so. You car engine lack of smoothness or lack of power will let you know when it's time to clean.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #804
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:

Seriously though, intake valve cleaning is required for ALL DI (direct injection) engines, and that means your Golf R may eventually require this cleaning too Glen, ha ha!

While DI engines are quite the future in terms of performance and efficiency (better mileage) the obvious downside is that the fuel is injected directly in the cylinders, without passing through the intake valves, and hence cleaning agents in the fuel no longer cleans the said valves. Now, why do the intake valves get all dirty, is because all modern engines recirculates crankcase air (oil fumes included) through the engine to be burned, so as to minimize polluting the environment. Those oil fumes cakes on the very hot intake tracts. In theory, blown engines have more blow by oil, but this is not always true.

Only required every 50,000kms or so. You car engine lack of smoothness or lack of power will let you know when it's time to clean.

+1, the above is correct, regardless of who is trying to sell the car and who isn't

Which makes me think, I definitely need to do this for the Mini... anybody do this in Montreal? I kind of find it hard to believe I can convince the dealer to do this, sigh.
      01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #805
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
+1, the above is correct, regardless of who is trying to sell the car and who isn't

Which makes me think, I definitely need to do this for the Mini... anybody do this in Montreal? I kind of find it hard to believe I can convince the dealer to do this, sigh.
Go ahead and thank me! Cause I already documented to Seb the issue, sent him links on the various threads. So the good news is that he told me he would equip himself properly and offer this service this spring, cos he also heard lots of complains from VW owners ha ha!

I'll contact him to mention some interested folks for this. So keep tight, I'll arrange a package with him! Forget the dealer you'll be paying a "premium".

k
      01-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #806
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Go ahead and thank me! Cause I already documented to Seb the issue, sent him links on the various threads. So the good news is that he told me he would equip himself properly and offer this service this spring, cos he also heard lots of complains from VW owners ha ha!

I'll contact him to mention some interested folks for this. So keep tight, I'll arrange a package with him! Forget the dealer you'll be paying a "premium".

k
oh god no way i would pay the dealer - i was trying to see if i can *warranty* this

yeah speak with seb. if the price is too outrageous i might just buy a $5 can of seafoam and degrease my skidoo, moped and door handle in between the cleaning sessions of my fancy direct-injected engines.
      01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #807
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
oh god no way i would pay the dealer - i was trying to see if i can *warranty* this

yeah speak with seb. if the price is too outrageous i might just buy a $5 can of seafoam and degrease my skidoo, moped and door handle in between the cleaning sessions of my fancy direct-injected engines.
Better yet, save your 5$ cos that seafoam crap won't do nothing! (pardon ze English
      01-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #808
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I didnt realize you are selling your car on this thread. Sell away. The fact remains the same. The N54 engine is special due to the turbo. The oil in the oil catch can that the N54s dont have speak volumes. In any case, the intake clean up procedure on N54 isn't too bad once you get the hang of it. Seafoam isnt an option IMHO.
      01-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #809
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
thanks a lot ken and joel for the very useful insight.... i didnt know this was a common issue among most DI engines... i thought it was just an issue with the N54/55 engines. i guess i never faced such an issue cos my cars have always been old tech (non-DI).

glen, how would you suggest to get sea foam to clean those valves? you just pour it into the intake manifold? i dont know how that would work.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #810
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
thanks a lot ken and joel for the very useful insight.... i didnt know this was a common issue among most DI engines... i thought it was just an issue with the N54/55 engines. i guess i never faced such an issue cos my cars have always been old tech (non-DI).

glen, how would you suggest to get sea foam to clean those valves? you just pour it into the intake manifold? i dont know how that would work.
There's a number of threads on the Mini forums about how to do it, I would have to look it up ... but something along those lines, yeah. It creates a massive cloud of smoke and is scary as all hell, but it seems to actually work, contrary to what uncle Ken says (at least the consensus on the Mini forums seems to be that it does).
      01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #811
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
There's a number of threads on the Mini forums about how to do it, I would have to look it up ... but something along those lines, yeah. It creates a massive cloud of smoke and is scary as all hell, but it seems to actually work, contrary to what uncle Ken says (at least the consensus on the Mini forums seems to be that it does).
Well, pretty sure seafoam will do squat

Picture a thick layer of grease that caked on the valves as well as intake tracks over time, and rubbing with a tooth brush won't do anything, but instead you have to blast away with a very abrasive material (enter crushed walnut shells), chemicals have little chance to work, unless you're pouring acid in ......
      01-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #812
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, pretty sure seafoam will do squat

Picture a thick layer of grease that caked on the valves as well as intake tracks over time, and rubbing with a tooth brush won't do anything, but instead you have to blast away with a very abrasive material (enter crushed walnut shells), chemicals have little chance to work, unless you're pouring acid in ......
I'm also very sceptical about the seafoam. I was looking at youtube and I saw guys pouring 1/3 of a 1L bottle in the valve cover (good lord), 1/3 into the gas tank, and sucking up 1/3 into the crankcase positive vacuum. Driving 30km and then doing an oil flush.

The only methods I know of is fine brass brushing with approved solvent in the intake, or dismantling the head entirely and cleaning the parts individually. You can be sure there is more than just intake valves and ports that are gunked up.
      01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #813
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

You guys think the N54 have some issues.

So far I have crossed out a used Porsche Cayman due to engine issues leading to catastrophic failure.

Learning quickly that a Z06 (LS7) have another type of issue with the valves, and can also lead to major repairs when the "valves drop". Aie.

I will keep researching.

N54s are bullet proof compared to the Cayman's boxers and the LS7. But that weight.........
      01-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #814
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

S54 is the king
Appreciate 0